Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Flocker
    • By Flocker 10th Oct 17, 2:39 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Flocker
    Water Softening Systems
    • 10th Oct 17, 2:39 PM
    Water Softening Systems 10th Oct 17 at 2:39 PM
    Can anyone give me information on the best water softener systems for home use, electronic, which seem to be much cheaper and easier to install or filter types, which take up a lot of space and need salt top-ups?
    Last edited by Flocker; 11-10-2017 at 8:08 AM. Reason: Bad header
Page 1
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 10th Oct 17, 3:30 PM
    • 7,515 Posts
    • 4,910 Thanks
    Biggles
    • 10th Oct 17, 3:30 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 3:30 PM
    You's stand a better chance of getting responses if you edited the thread header to something useful instead of your username.
    • nofoollikeold
    • By nofoollikeold 10th Oct 17, 6:07 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    nofoollikeold
    • 10th Oct 17, 6:07 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 6:07 PM
    1. The "electronic" or magnetic ones claim to alter the structure of the hardness in the water to prevent it scaling things it comes in contact with. So far as I am aware they don't claim to soften the water. I have yet to see any conclusive proof they do the slightest bit of good.

2. The ones you refer to as the filter type run the incoming water over a bed of Zeolites. These extract the hardness from the water, but gradually become "choked" and have to be recharged by running salt water over them. The salt water is run to a drain, and does not enter the domestic water system, although tiny traces may be present. I've had one for the past 30 years, its been serviced twice, broken down once and I wouldn't be without it.

3. If you go for a proper water softener, you need to consider:
    3a. Where you store the salt. I buy 10 25Kg bags at a time as its cheaper.
    3b. Where the softener is installed, as it needs a drain and an overflow outlet as well as the water in and out pipes.
    3c. If you have a combination boiler, whether the manufacturer's guarantee will be affected.
    3d. The kitchen sink tap needs to be supplied with un-softened water.
    Last edited by nofoollikeold; 11-10-2017 at 5:11 PM. Reason: typo in final line corrected to un-softened
    • Flocker
    • By Flocker 11th Oct 17, 8:02 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Flocker
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:02 AM
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:02 AM
    Thanks Biggles, I'm new to this!
    • ComicGeek
    • By ComicGeek 11th Oct 17, 10:57 AM
    • 251 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    ComicGeek
    • 11th Oct 17, 10:57 AM
    • 11th Oct 17, 10:57 AM
    It would be worth you explaining what the current problem is and why you think you need a water softener. Do you have particularly hard water? Lots of different products out there that do different jobs.
    • Flocker
    • By Flocker 12th Oct 17, 4:00 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Flocker
    • 12th Oct 17, 4:00 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 4:00 PM
    I do have some type of hard water which causes taps to tighten up and the usual washing machine and kettle stuff. I come under South Staffs Water Company.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 12th Oct 17, 4:36 PM
    • 4,791 Posts
    • 3,156 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 12th Oct 17, 4:36 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 4:36 PM
    This lengthy thread will probably answer all your questions:

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,524Posts Today

6,540Users online

Martin's Twitter