Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mimi Arc en ciel
    • By Mimi Arc en ciel 10th Oct 17, 2:31 PM
    • 4,465Posts
    • 5,765Thanks
    Mimi Arc en ciel
    Rider insurance
    • 10th Oct 17, 2:31 PM
    Rider insurance 10th Oct 17 at 2:31 PM
    Hiya,

Quick Q - Those of you who horse ride, where do you get your 3rd party liability insurance from?

I need to cover me (34) and 2 kids (both under 12) - I ride weekly, both kids have a pony on loan 3 days a week.

Thanks!
    Very proud mummy of 2!
Page 1
    • Merlin's Beard
    • By Merlin's Beard 10th Oct 17, 2:45 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 654 Thanks
    Merlin's Beard
    • 10th Oct 17, 2:45 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 2:45 PM
    When I used to ride outside of riding schools, I used the BHS Gold Membership, which comes with 3rd party and personal accident.

It's £67 for the first year for adults, £50 a year for junior (under 21) - as one person riding a variety of friends horses it worked out loads cheaper than anything else for me, no idea whether it's a good deal once you start adding in multiple people!
    Grocery Challenge June 17 onward; aim: £100/month; leftovers to date: £13.62
    • Soot2006
    • By Soot2006 11th Oct 17, 8:51 AM
    • 1,200 Posts
    • 1,197 Thanks
    Soot2006
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:51 AM
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:51 AM
    Yup, BHS Gold!
    • Mimi Arc en ciel
    • By Mimi Arc en ciel 11th Oct 17, 9:20 AM
    • 4,465 Posts
    • 5,765 Thanks
    Mimi Arc en ciel
    • 11th Oct 17, 9:20 AM
    • 11th Oct 17, 9:20 AM
    That's exactly what the riding school mentioned.

I'm not 100% sure that 2 of us need it. I'll explain:

I only ever ride the riding school horses (in lessons, never hack out) However i will loan in the summer 2018

DD2 only rides the riding school horses.

DD1 - Has a loan pony - Will be hacking out so will need the insurance

Does that sound right? Wont me and DD2 be covered under the riding school insurance?
    Very proud mummy of 2!
    • DianneB
    • By DianneB 11th Oct 17, 9:30 AM
    • 790 Posts
    • 1,630 Thanks
    DianneB
    • 11th Oct 17, 9:30 AM
    • 11th Oct 17, 9:30 AM
    Never paid for insurance when my daughter had lessons she was covered by the riding school. Once she got her own horses she went for BHS Gold. I don't think the school would be able to operate without good insurance cover!
    • Merlin's Beard
    • By Merlin's Beard 11th Oct 17, 12:58 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 654 Thanks
    Merlin's Beard
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:58 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:58 PM
    That's exactly what the riding school mentioned.

I'm not 100% sure that 2 of us need it. I'll explain:

I only ever ride the riding school horses (in lessons, never hack out) However i will loan in the summer 2018

DD2 only rides the riding school horses.

DD1 - Has a loan pony - Will be hacking out so will need the insurance

Does that sound right? Wont me and DD2 be covered under the riding school insurance?
    Originally posted by Mimi Arc en ciel
    If you're only riding riding school horses, under the supervision of riding school instructors, in a riding school lesson, then you're under their liability insurance as they're in charge of you and it's their pony. (as long as they have liability insurance, which they should do!) Because you're turning up and paying to use their equipment under their supervision at a set time and date, essentially.

With a loan pony, you've loaned the responsibility for the horse and its actions as well as the horse itself so you're also financially responsible for the consequences. Doesn't matter if you're using their facilities - they're responsible for their facilities, you're responsible for your horse.

So it sounds like DD1 needs it now, DD2 is having lessons so is covered by the school's liability and you'll need liability when you start to loan. But, check exactly with the school, because they'll know what their insurance says and no one on the internet will have read their policy!
    Grocery Challenge June 17 onward; aim: £100/month; leftovers to date: £13.62
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,818Posts Today

10,342Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin