Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mishcka
    • By Mishcka 10th Oct 17, 1:34 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Mishcka
    Sick Note Issue?
    • 10th Oct 17, 1:34 PM
    Sick Note Issue? 10th Oct 17 at 1:34 PM
    Right now I'm in assessment phase ESA so I have to send in sick notes, my next one expires on the 12th and I like to send off my notes just before the date so I don't get letters demanding I send one in. As such, I usually try to get my note a little earlier than the last one expires to save myself the stress, usually theres 0 issue with this, whats what I've been doing for a while now. Or at least the past few months.

I've never had issue asking in the past, the other...receptionist I think just goes 'okay no worries' and tells me when I can come down and get my new note with 0 issues. This other one so far everytime I've spoken to her she's found some reason to snap at me and shout down the phone about how I'm clearly wrong. The first time was on monday that 'you can only ask for sick notes before 10am' when I've always called at 1ish without issue in the past. Now today, I called this morning before 10am as asked and got someone I didn't recognize and seemed a bit confused but said he'd do it anyways, just now called in to check if it was done I've been told 'the doctor wont even consider writing it till the 12th', I'm paraphrasing because she decided to say this phrase about 4 different times in different longwinded ways.

I'm just confused because if thats the case I don't understand why I wasn't informed on monday when I first called so I could have dedicated today to something other than getting upset and stressed out chasing up phone calls. I don't understand why I wasn't told this morning either really.

Am I in the wrong here? I tried to google it and didn't find anything. I just kinda accepted it on the phone because I'm not the type to snap back at someone and honestly I didn't want to have to listen to being spoken down to like I'm a particularly slow child for longer than I had to.

I hope this doesn't come across as entitled or something...I'm just very confused and upset. Especially because chasing up and sending off these notes stresses me out enough even when it goes smoothly.
Page 1
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 10th Oct 17, 2:45 PM
    • 1,864 Posts
    • 3,883 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 10th Oct 17, 2:45 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 2:45 PM
    Fit notes may be issued early, but it is at the discretion of the doctor.

The staff couldn't tell you what the doctor said until he said it.

You have the rest of the day to dedicate to whatever you wish.
    • nannytone
    • By nannytone 10th Oct 17, 4:04 PM
    • 12,228 Posts
    • 18,161 Thanks
    nannytone
    • 10th Oct 17, 4:04 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 4:04 PM
    my GP surgery won't issue a fit noye until the day it is due.

you are asking them to state in advance that you will be ill on that date and they can't, in all honesty, say you will be.
    • Mishcka
    • By Mishcka 10th Oct 17, 5:05 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mishcka
    • 10th Oct 17, 5:05 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 5:05 PM
    After being able to get in contact with someone else at the practice via getting a guardian to aid in this, apparently, I wasn't being given the whole explanation. It wasn't doctor disgression at all but a flat cover rule that's been put in place in my area recently that prevents them from doing notes in advance anymore supposedly. I say supposedly because I can't really...research that but I'll take having some kind of solid explanation over getting no real explanation at all so I'm not gonna question it.

Thank you regardless.

(Also the reason I'm on ESA is due to issues coping with change and anxiety. So generally when I get over stressed like this I am unable to do anything else because I'm too worried and stressed to focus unfortunately. So in situations like this, the day does more or less get 'lost', so to speak. I don't know how else to word it. But regardless this is where the frustration is coming from.)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,712Posts Today

7,843Users online

Martin's Twitter