Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jhnry
    • By jhnry 10th Oct 17, 12:52 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 2Thanks
    jhnry
    Mistake in Life Insurance Interview
    • 10th Oct 17, 12:52 PM
    Mistake in Life Insurance Interview 10th Oct 17 at 12:52 PM
    Afternoon all,

Having recently had our first son, my wife and I applied for life insurance. In my interview, I wrongly stated that my sister has a history of polycystic kidney disease when she in fact has polycystic ovary syndrome! Now I've had a reply from the insurers deferring my application three months whilst I have investigations to assess me for polycystic kidney disease!

This was a genuine error - with a young baby I haven't been getting a lot of sleep and didn't realise til after my phone interview! I have got in touch with the insurers but am yet to hear back yet - will I have to go through some kidney investigations?!

J
Page 1
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 10th Oct 17, 12:55 PM
    • 89,851 Posts
    • 55,457 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 10th Oct 17, 12:55 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 12:55 PM
    will I have to go through some kidney investigations?
    That will be upto the insurer
    • YHM
    • By YHM 10th Oct 17, 3:03 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    YHM
    • 10th Oct 17, 3:03 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 3:03 PM
    Apply to another insurer....
    I am a Mortgage Broker.

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice
    • jhnry
    • By jhnry 10th Oct 17, 3:05 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    jhnry
    • 10th Oct 17, 3:05 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 3:05 PM
    Do insurers not share information between themselves though?

J
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 10th Oct 17, 3:59 PM
    • 89,851 Posts
    • 55,457 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 10th Oct 17, 3:59 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 3:59 PM
    I wouldnt apply to another insurer yet as the op would have declare that they have had an application deferred pending investigations.
    • YHM
    • By YHM 10th Oct 17, 8:58 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    YHM
    • 10th Oct 17, 8:58 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 8:58 PM
    I wouldnt apply to another insurer yet as the op would have declare that they have had an application deferred pending investigations.
    Originally posted by dunstonh
    Potentially not with the support of a good broker / Life BDM, discussing the situation the OP is in. If I were the broker, I would be turning over every stone to get terms offered, not just wait for an accidental deferral to cease.
    I am a Mortgage Broker.

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 10th Oct 17, 9:25 PM
    • 33,044 Posts
    • 17,007 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 10th Oct 17, 9:25 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 9:25 PM
    ..... If I were the broker, I would be turning over every stone to get terms offered, not just wait for an accidental deferral to cease.
    Originally posted by YHM
    What is the MSE code of conduct you adhere to that you mention in your sig?

Does it allow self promotion like this?
    • YHM
    • By YHM 10th Oct 17, 10:09 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    YHM
    • 10th Oct 17, 10:09 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 10:09 PM
    What is the MSE code of conduct you adhere to that you mention in your sig?

Does it allow self promotion like this?
    Originally posted by Quentin
    Am I touting or merely raising a valid point?
    I am a Mortgage Broker.

• csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 11th Oct 17, 7:29 AM
    • 3,885 Posts
    • 2,411 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 11th Oct 17, 7:29 AM
    • 11th Oct 17, 7:29 AM
    Originally posted by YHM

It's not the first time I'm afraid and you had one of your posts removed as a result. Please take your time to read the code of conduct. You don't see Dunstoh tout for business

Also the OP never applied with a broker, some mortgage brokers also act as life assurance salesman as well.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 11th Oct 17, 8:45 AM
    • 33,044 Posts
    • 17,007 Thanks
    Quentin
    Originally posted by YHM
    Promoting your own services is hardly "raising a valid point"

What is the code of conduct you are abiding by??

No-one ( not even mortgage brokers) can use these forums to search for opportunities to promote their own business.
    • Weighty1
    • By Weighty1 11th Oct 17, 10:07 AM
    • 197 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    Weighty1
    I'd expect the insurer to take it at face value that it's a genuine mistake. This should be an easy situation to resolve. They wouldn't want to make you have any kidney investigations if there are no issues within your family.
    • Chris Pollard
    • By Chris Pollard 11th Oct 17, 10:11 AM
    • 87 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Chris Pollard
    jhnry - this seems like a genuine mistake, and I believe the insurer would accept your error. There is a significant difference between the two conditions! It is likely that the tele-interviewer specifically mentioned "polycystic kidney disease" amongst other medical conditions when asking about your family history before enquiring into more detail. They can listen to the recording to get a better understanding.

I'm not sure the insurer would ask for any tests once they are satisfied this was a genuine error. At best they might obtain a blood test to check renal function perhaps including glomerular filtration rate. They wouldn't ask, or pay for, ultrasound scans to check for cysts.

I'm sure this will all be sorted out and you and wife can rest easy.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,923Posts Today

5,035Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin