Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MEM62
    • By MEM62 10th Oct 17, 12:02 PM
    • 1,351Posts
    • 968Thanks
    MEM62
    Itunes Indexing
    • 10th Oct 17, 12:02 PM
    Itunes Indexing 10th Oct 17 at 12:02 PM
    Having recently replaced my laptop I have just spent the best part of two days loading my music CD's back onto my iTunes library. My question, or rather three questions, relate to indexing.

1) In some cases iTunes 'splits' albums up so that what is one album is shown as two with some of the tunes list against one and the remainder against the other. Some internet research suggested that a fix was to go into album info and change the 'Album Artist' to ensure that is was the same and untick the 'This album is a compilation' box. This has worked for in most cases but not for a couple of albums -which remain split.

2) I have synced the library with my iPad and some albums have been split again on my iPad - although not all of the ones I originally had issues with. So the indexing on my PC is as I corrected it but some of the albums on the iPad are split.

3) I have backed up my iTunes library to an external hard drive as I have no wish to spend another two days restoring them in the event that my laptop fails. However, in the past, when I have restored my iTunes library from the backup the indexing is all over the place again. In fact, even worse than it was originally.

Anyone have any ideas or found a fix for these issues??
    Last edited by MEM62; 10-10-2017 at 12:07 PM.
Page 1
    • almillar
    • By almillar 10th Oct 17, 1:05 PM
    • 7,064 Posts
    • 2,827 Thanks
    almillar
    • 10th Oct 17, 1:05 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 1:05 PM
    Having recently replaced my laptop I have just spent the best part of two days loading my music CD's back onto my iTunes library
    Oh dear. You could have just copied the 'iTunes' folder over from your Music folder in your Documents, no need to re-rip all you CDs!
    1) What albums specifically? If all the info is the same, and not identified as a compilation, it should all be together. Have you looked at the track numbers?
    2) The iPad just uses the PC's library, so you only need to fix it on the PC, the iPad will follow.
    3) See my notes at the top. I have one iTunes library that syncs across 4 computers (1 Mac, 4 PCs) via OneDrive. Play counts etc stay up to date everywhere. I do keep a backup of course, but it's literally just that entire iTunes folder from my Music folder.
    • googler
    • By googler 10th Oct 17, 5:26 PM
    • 14,387 Posts
    • 9,299 Thanks
    googler
    • 10th Oct 17, 5:26 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 5:26 PM
    Select the albums which are split, right-click and select Get Info.

There will be something different in the info which is causing the split. It might be one half with track numbers 1/10, 2/10 etc with the other half having 1/12, 2/12 ... or a one-character difference in album title (The Unforgettable Fire and The unforgettable Fire), or a difference in the Sort Album Title .... etc etc
    • MEM62
    • By MEM62 12th Oct 17, 11:34 AM
    • 1,351 Posts
    • 968 Thanks
    MEM62
    • 12th Oct 17, 11:34 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 11:34 AM
    Thanks both for your responses.

Oh dear. You could have just copied the 'iTunes' folder over from your Music folder in your Documents, no need to re-rip all you CDs!
    The old laptop failed catastrophically so there was nothing to transfer. It was a case of starting from scratch.
    1) What albums specifically? If all the info is the same, and not identified as a compilation, it should all be together. Have you looked at the track numbers?

Two examples: The long Road Our Of Eden by the Eagles. I have checked the album info and cannot see any difference in the two listings, yet the album is split. (On both ITunes and my iPad.) The other is the Essential Barbara Streisand. This is a single listing on iTunes and is split on my iPad.
    2) The iPad just uses the PC's library, so you only need to fix it on the PC, the iPad will follow.

You would think so wouldn't you?
    3) See my notes at the top. I have one iTunes library that syncs across 4 computers (1 Mac, 4 PCs) via OneDrive. Play counts etc stay up to date everywhere. I do keep a backup of course, but it's literally just that entire iTunes folder from my Music folder.
    Originally posted by almillar
    I have looked for discrepancies in the album info and cannot find any. I have not looked at the track numbering as suggested by googler and will look at this later. However, I would expect the numbering to be OK as they should be numbered as they were on the original albums.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,993Posts Today

6,456Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin