Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 10th Oct 17, 11:34 AM
    • 2,369Posts
    • 263Thanks
    britishboy
    Elderly mother in law ripped off for new kitchen
    • 10th Oct 17, 11:34 AM
    Elderly mother in law ripped off for new kitchen 10th Oct 17 at 11:34 AM
    Right, here goes. My elderly moher in law (in her 80's) has just had a new kitchen fitted by a well known company, and it was initially arranged by one of her grown sons, who then didnt follow it up and let her get on with it. Her kitchen is tiny, no more than 3m x 3m maximum, 2 small worktops and new oven, halogen hob, sink etc. She has since told my partner (her daughter) it cost over £20,000. She has all her marbles so we do believe her.

The workmanship is pretty poor, and we do not belive it should of cost even half that amount. I had a kitchen over twice the size fitted in my flat a few years ago and it was 1/4 the price she paid. It was supposed to take 1 week, its not on week 7 or 8 and still not finished.

She paid the full amount up front so we cant even tell her to refuse to pay. We are, as you'd expect, pretty angry about it all

Can anyone please offer us any advice, as we would like to take this further to pevent it happening to others, and hopefully get some mmoney back too

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 10th Oct 17, 11:49 AM
    • 14,389 Posts
    • 15,184 Thanks
    zx81
    • 10th Oct 17, 11:49 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 11:49 AM
    Without knowing what she ordered and what terms she signed, it's impossible to advice.

If she still has her marbles and wanted worktops to match, it could easily get expensive.
    • ssparks2003
    • By ssparks2003 10th Oct 17, 12:36 PM
    • 213 Posts
    • 282 Thanks
    ssparks2003
    • 10th Oct 17, 12:36 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 12:36 PM
    Get some concrete facts together as currently the appears to be little to go on,
    • photome
    • By photome 10th Oct 17, 3:58 PM
    • 12,827 Posts
    • 8,299 Thanks
    photome
    • 10th Oct 17, 3:58 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 3:58 PM
    i posted a reply to another of your posts, the facebook page is a great place to share your story and get some contacts that may be able to help

some people are still waiting after years rather than weeks/months
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,062Posts Today

6,815Users online

Martin's Twitter