Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mumofthetwins
    • By mumofthetwins 10th Oct 17, 11:25 AM
    • 880Posts
    • 3,815Thanks
    mumofthetwins
    meal planning .. how far in advance ?
    • 10th Oct 17, 11:25 AM
    meal planning .. how far in advance ? 10th Oct 17 at 11:25 AM
    Hi Guys

im just wondering how far in advance everyone meal plans ?
    at the minute we do it week by week but im wondering if its worth doing fortnightly ?
    do you notice any difference

Thanks
    Lisa x
    This time I'm sticking with it !!
    Oct /£300 3NSD
    PAD
    June £3362.78 July £1803.88 Aug £1895 Oct £483.77
Page 1
    • maman
    • By maman 10th Oct 17, 12:29 PM
    • 17,161 Posts
    • 102,599 Thanks
    maman
    • 10th Oct 17, 12:29 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 12:29 PM
    Hi Guys

im just wondering how far in advance everyone meal plans ?
    at the minute we do it week by week but im wondering if its worth doing fortnightly ?
    do you notice any difference

Thanks
    Lisa x
    Originally posted by mumofthetwins

Weekly works fine for me as I think I'd have problems with storage in the fridge if I tried a longer gap. And that's just for two people. Seeing your username I assume you're cooking for a family.

I can shop to my meal plan once a week and not go near a shop until the following week. I think there could b a problem if you ended up calling into a local shop for, for example, milk and buying lots of other bits and pieces as well. Local shops can be very expensive compared with Aldi where I do my man shop.

Some people try to stretch their plan by a day at a time so maybe you could work towards a 2 week plan that way.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 10th Oct 17, 1:27 PM
    • 10,043 Posts
    • 107,863 Thanks
    LameWolf
    • 10th Oct 17, 1:27 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 1:27 PM
    Weekly as a general rule - though it can be only for a couple of days if I am having extra problems with my health.
    I am cooking for just the two of us and we are both retired; I don't shop for the whole week in one go as a trip of that length would be too much for me (I use three different supermarkets in order to get precisely what I want) but I do try and have an idea of what we are going to eat, to save my strength on busy days.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • S_Wales_Saver
    • By S_Wales_Saver 10th Oct 17, 1:43 PM
    • 233 Posts
    • 2,582 Thanks
    S_Wales_Saver
    • 10th Oct 17, 1:43 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 1:43 PM
    I always plan for a calendar month. I cook for 6 people, including 1 vegetarian and two 9yr olds. My spreadsheet is quite detailed as it includes the childrensí school meal menu and also their after-school activities. They have various activities on 4 weekdays, which limits the time I have to cook and they have to eat. The sheet also includes columns for food needing to be bought, and things to be defrosted.

Iíve done it like this for at least three years. I use google sheets, so I can plan on my computer or tablet and have access on my phone for shopping. I can also look back at previous menus and often think ďoh havenít had that in a whileĒ

I shop during the first week for meat and fish to freeze, frozen foods and any tinned/jarred food I donít carry in my stash. Then fresh food is bought twice weekly. I canít get it to once as we drink huge quantities of milk!
    Dor
    • BearPearSun
    • By BearPearSun 10th Oct 17, 2:05 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    BearPearSun
    • 10th Oct 17, 2:05 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 2:05 PM
    We plan for one week at a time. It helps us stay on plan because anything we have a hankering for can just be added on to the following week. It also lets us plan around work shifts/hobbies/social activities that we might not know about much before.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 10th Oct 17, 2:06 PM
    • 60,996 Posts
    • 356,278 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 10th Oct 17, 2:06 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 2:06 PM
    My planning is done before it's all on the plate. I rarely know what I'll be eating until I walk into the kitchen - and often change my mind half way through.

I've just cooked a cheese omelette and as I walked from the kitchen I thought "should have done chips and beans with this".

I couldn't plan - I am somebody who has to fancy something before I can be bothered to eat it... so it's all a last minute "what do I fancy?" thing!
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 10th Oct 17, 2:55 PM
    • 2,423 Posts
    • 34,178 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    • 10th Oct 17, 2:55 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 2:55 PM
    I am another weekly planner - high 5 to anyone who plans for a month, that's is SO organised

I never have it fixed in stone, so Chicken Thighs for example, could be used for a curry, stirfry or midweek roast, depending on how I feel, I also leave the last day of the week before I go grocery shopping open to cook what's left over in the fridge.

I bulk buy meat monthly, the shop once a week (Wednesday) and that's it.

At the end of the day it is about what works for you and your family
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

DECEMBER GC - not a bloomin clue - opting out of December as itís my 50th and i think once a half century itís okay not to mind - back in the saddle January
    • maman
    • By maman 10th Oct 17, 4:53 PM
    • 17,161 Posts
    • 102,599 Thanks
    maman
    • 10th Oct 17, 4:53 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 4:53 PM

At the end of the day it is about what works for you and your family
    Originally posted by Islandmaid
    Exactly. I suppose it depends on lots of things including storage, time to spend shopping but also how much willpower you have if you want to save money. I've read too many threads and know too many people in RL that go into shops for a few bits and come out having spent £s!
    • katkin
    • By katkin 10th Oct 17, 5:49 PM
    • 575 Posts
    • 7,265 Thanks
    katkin
    • 10th Oct 17, 5:49 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 5:49 PM
    I used to be quite ridgid when i started meal planning, but that was sometimes off putting if any of us didnt fancy what was planned.

Now i start with a monthly shop of the basics, butcher meat / fish, carb / startch / carbs, cupboard supplies like tin toms, spices etc. Fruit and veg are still weekly / seasonal. With this stash i then weekly menu plan and make sure it can be flexible.

It's a bit like having my own limited by price and season shop at home to pick out meals from over a week that i can cope with making easier or more complicated depending on our work hours or other commitments. Now my sons have grown up and left home it's become a lot easier.

It's what suits you and what makes life easier. That and what you need from your diet nutrition and taste wise.

I keep all this in a wee A5 household notebook with notes of what worked and what didn't.
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 10th Oct 17, 7:26 PM
    • 1,962 Posts
    • 6,696 Thanks
    Ilona
    My planning is done before it's all on the plate. I rarely know what I'll be eating until I walk into the kitchen - and often change my mind half way through.

I couldn't plan - I am somebody who has to fancy something before I can be bothered to eat it... so it's all a last minute "what do I fancy?" thing!
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Same here. I don't know what I'm going to eat until I open the fridge door. Spose it's a good idea to plan if you have a family to cook for, especially if you have fussy eaters, but no point at all if you are a single person. Just have what you fancy.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 10th Oct 17, 8:18 PM
    • 12,171 Posts
    • 35,741 Thanks
    Nelski
    Childhood for me consisted of knowing exactly what would be for dinner every day week after week month after month. I hated it and so am now as a fully fledged grown up against any kind of strict menu planning. Im of the school of decide in enough time to defrost it and all will be well; . Its by no means perfect and regularly fails but at least I know beans on toast are not just for Fridays
    • caronc
    • By caronc 10th Oct 17, 8:53 PM
    • 2,793 Posts
    • 18,009 Thanks
    caronc
    Now it's just me I tend to be more day to day but when the kids were at home I'd try and cook on a Sunday enough dinners (or parts of) to cover Mon-Weds, Monday did tend to be something using LO roast be it stir fry or cottage pie or just a sort of repeat of Sunday depending what we had had, Thurs was a freezer dinner usually spag bol or similiar from something I'd batch cooked and Fri a fridge raid or takeaway, Saturday tended to range from a made from scratch curry or steaks & trimmings to baked spuds depending on who was doing what.
    August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £116/£120, Dec £46/£60
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 10th Oct 17, 9:06 PM
    • 6,172 Posts
    • 5,296 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    Hi,

Hi Guys im just wondering how far in advance everyone meal plans ?
    Originally posted by mumofthetwins
    well my planning, if I waken up alive tomorrow, is porridge with blueberries or rhubarb, kick start the bowels.

Y'all take care now.
    • mumofthetwins
    • By mumofthetwins 10th Oct 17, 9:53 PM
    • 880 Posts
    • 3,815 Thanks
    mumofthetwins
    Thanks guys ... think I will stick with the week for now as I have a bit in the freezer at the minute that I would like to use up

I am going to start trying to batch cook on a Sunday when I have a little more time (mon tues and wed are crazy days for me)

Lisa x
    This time I'm sticking with it !!
    Oct /£300 3NSD
    PAD
    June £3362.78 July £1803.88 Aug £1895 Oct £483.77
    • maman
    • By maman 11th Oct 17, 4:40 PM
    • 17,161 Posts
    • 102,599 Thanks
    maman
    I use my slow cooker for batch cooking as then after the initial prep I don't have to watch it. I do Bolognese sauce , chilli, savoury mince and soup. I always portion it for the freezer the day after, leaving it to marinate seems to improve the flavour.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,186Posts Today

5,574Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin