Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 10th Oct 17, 10:57 AM
    • 1,215Posts
    • 181Thanks
    littlerock
    Orange/EE charging 17p each for SMS delivery receipts
    • 10th Oct 17, 10:57 AM
    Orange/EE charging 17p each for SMS delivery receipts 10th Oct 17 at 10:57 AM
    I have a SIM only plan, originally with Orange, paid monthly, currently out of contract. I only use it in emergency and then only for texts. It is a Sony Xperia phone.

Last month I got a large bill, well over the cost of the SIM only plan. So I contacted EE. After some run around I finally spoke to a helpful advisor who said that my phone was set up to send me SMS delivery receipts and these were not included in the SIM-only plan and charged at 17p each. The large bill was because I had sent a lot of texts that month.

I looked at my phone Message Settings and it was indeed set to request SMS receipt confirmation although I do not recall doing this - as I was not even aware that receipt confirmations were possible. I had noticed them coming in occasionally, but certainly not consistently and even so did not imagine it was a chargeable service at 17p a time. I suppose it might be a default setting on the phone and a fairly recent charge, at the 17p level anyway. I cannot find any reference to a charge for SMS delivery receipts in my contract.

I have now turned it off (in Messages/Settings/Delivery receipts/)
    I do not know if EE makes this charge across the board but it seems very steep. Be aware.
Page 1
    • d123
    • By d123 10th Oct 17, 11:35 AM
    • 6,735 Posts
    • 4,298 Thanks
    d123
    • 10th Oct 17, 11:35 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 11:35 AM
    The normal charge on Orange is 1.7p. It is free on EE.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4379597

Unfortunately, as you’re on a business plan you could be charged different prices for various services, but I think you’ll discover you misunderstood the adviser you spoke to, or there’s a fault with your charging.

Perhaps ask for Orange to reset your online password so you can check your bills and verify what you’ve been charged.
    ====
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 10th Oct 17, 11:43 AM
    • 1,929 Posts
    • 1,050 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    • 10th Oct 17, 11:43 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 11:43 AM
    Another thread by the OP on basically the same subject:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5724917
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 10th Oct 17, 11:57 AM
    • 1,215 Posts
    • 181 Thanks
    littlerock
    • 10th Oct 17, 11:57 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 11:57 AM
    The first post was a query about the difficulty in reaching someone to talk to in Orange/EE. The second post was to warn people about the 17p charge for delivery receipt as a separate topic.
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 10th Oct 17, 12:00 PM
    • 1,215 Posts
    • 181 Thanks
    littlerock
    • 10th Oct 17, 12:00 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 12:00 PM
    No the advisor was quite specific that the SMS delivery receipt was not covered by my sim only plan and that it was 17p a text. Can you point me to somewhere it says the Orange charge should be 1.7p. There is no mention of receipt charges anywhere on my plan paperwork.

The link supplied is for 2013, I suspect the changes post date that. I have found postings on the Internet by EE advisors which both confirm it is a free charge and that it is chargeable.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 10th Oct 17, 12:17 PM
    • 2,960 Posts
    • 1,303 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 10th Oct 17, 12:17 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 12:17 PM
    I used to pay 1.7p per SMS delivery report when I was on Orange (when they were enabled on my handset). Perhaps there's a tenfold increase to help persuade customers to move to EE from Orange.
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 10th Oct 17, 12:29 PM
    • 1,215 Posts
    • 181 Thanks
    littlerock
    • 10th Oct 17, 12:29 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 12:29 PM
    I have managed to get into Manage Your Money (got Customer advisor to reset password) and I have looked at my itemised bill and am definitely being charged 17p per SMS delivery receipt.
    • d123
    • By d123 10th Oct 17, 3:17 PM
    • 6,735 Posts
    • 4,298 Thanks
    d123
    • 10th Oct 17, 3:17 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 3:17 PM
    The link supplied is for 2013, I suspect the changes post date that. I have found postings on the Internet by EE advisors which both confirm it is a free charge and that it is chargeable.
    Originally posted by littlerock
    Orange was closed to new business in April 2014, so thatís why itís still relevant, most EE advisers probably have very little knowledge of the old Orange plans (as itís been around 3 and a Ĺ years since they closed).

Your case confuses it even further as you were on an Orange Business tariff so would have little in common with consumer tariffs.
    ====
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

224Posts Today

1,475Users online

Martin's Twitter