Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Acremead
    • By Acremead 10th Oct 17, 10:55 AM
    • 69Posts
    • 32Thanks
    Acremead
    Fixed term savings in event of death
    • 10th Oct 17, 10:55 AM
    Fixed term savings in event of death 10th Oct 17 at 10:55 AM
    As attorney I'm thinking of investing some of mother's money in a fixed term savings account which allows no withdrawals until term end. If she died mid-term would her executors have an automatic legal right to access the money immediately or would they have to rely on the institution's allowing it as a goodwill gesture?
Page 1
    • alanq
    • By alanq 10th Oct 17, 11:07 AM
    • 3,783 Posts
    • 2,428 Thanks
    alanq
    • 10th Oct 17, 11:07 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 11:07 AM
    A bigger issue if signing up for the long term would be whether mother has sufficient other funds to cover her needs e.g. should she need to pay for a care home.

There are signs that interest rates may finally be beginning to move upwards. If you commit to 5 or 7 years at current rates you risk missing out on better rates that may become available for shorter term savings.

I don't know the general answer to what happens on death. Some terms and conditions specifically mention this.
    Last edited by alanq; 10-10-2017 at 11:11 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Budgeting and Bank Accounts, Savings & Investments, Food Shopping and Over 50s MoneySaving boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Hattie625
    • By Hattie625 10th Oct 17, 11:14 AM
    • 580 Posts
    • 445 Thanks
    Hattie625
    • 10th Oct 17, 11:14 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 11:14 AM
    As attorney I'm thinking of investing some of mother's money in a fixed term savings account which allows no withdrawals until term end. If she died mid-term would her executors have an automatic legal right to access the money immediately or would they have to rely on the institution's allowing it as a goodwill gesture?
    Originally posted by Acremead
    Check the T and C's of the account you are thinking of opening. Almost always you will find an exception to the "no access within the term" condition applying in the event of the death of the account holder, allowing her executor to close the account and distribute the funds to the beneficiaries. Don't accept this as read, though: check the T and C's before opening the account.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 10th Oct 17, 11:40 AM
    • 6,980 Posts
    • 8,593 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 10th Oct 17, 11:40 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 11:40 AM
    Just check the T&Cs. It can vary by provider and account type.
    • Uxb
    • By Uxb 10th Oct 17, 1:02 PM
    • 926 Posts
    • 1,004 Thanks
    Uxb
    • 10th Oct 17, 1:02 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 1:02 PM
    There is a school of thought that upon death all contracts are null and void as they are in the legal terminology "frustrated" as the deceased person does not "exist" anymore, and that all POA cease upon death.

I have never heard of any case when an executor has been unable to access monies - which in any case particularly where IHT is payable by a fixed date and hence probate must be obtained they are legally required to do so.

There maybe some cases where the monies are in an investment at a very favorable rate and the executor my choose to retain the investment and depending on what the will says seek to transfer its ownership to a beneficiary without it being sold (as in shares) or realised as in an investment account. While you can do this I know for certain with shares whether one could for an account at a bank/building society I'm less certain.

This is how you can usually get (for example) existing phone/BB contracts the deceased had terminated instantly as an executor without the estate having to pay any early-termination cancellation fees as would be normal....though I've heard a few mobile phone co's trying it on.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,245Posts Today

7,169Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin