Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Swanslad21
    • By Swanslad21 10th Oct 17, 10:32 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Swanslad21
    PIP help
    • 10th Oct 17, 10:32 AM
    PIP help 10th Oct 17 at 10:32 AM
    I am hoping for some advice for my partner.

My partner suffers with significant mental health issues and was previously awarded the higher rate of Daily living allowance for personal independence payment. He was awarded this after attending an appeal in early 2016.

He had to reapply for this benefit due to the DWP putting an end date on the original claim.

He attended the medical assessment in August 2017. On the back of this assessment the DWP awarded him 11 points and therefore he was awarded the lower rate.

When the report arrived we noticed there was a lot of incorrect information and also they had omitted things that had been said to the medical professional. Due to this fact a number of people advised him to ask for a mandatory reconsideration as he was only one point away from receiving the higher amount.

I prepared a letter indicating where I felt points had been missed and the reason these points should be awarded. I also attached a copy of the appeal indicating where they had given him points.

This process has had a detrimental affect on his mental health and not slept properly for the last week because of this.

He received a phone call from the DWP yesterday as they had not received the letter I had prepared. This was only posted Saturday so I assume itís just not been scanned onto the system yet but she went on to inform him that when she received this she would look at the claim again which could result him losing points.

As you can appreciate this has now worried him further and just wondering if anyone had similar experience. Would they really overturn a decision previously made and take the benefit off him.

Heís not received the nicest treatment from the DWP and I donít think they treat people with mental health as they should but thatís just a personal opinion of mine.

I would appreciate ant feedback that might set his mind at rest,
Page 1
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 10th Oct 17, 11:18 AM
    • 1,753 Posts
    • 1,584 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 10th Oct 17, 11:18 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 11:18 AM
    Hi,
    I'm sorry to hear that. Yes with any MR and Tribunal an award can either decrease, increase or stay the same. 80% of MR decisions remain the same, so you may have to take it to Tribunal. Hopefully this won't happen as just 1 point is needed for that Enhanced award. Good luck.
    • Swanslad21
    • By Swanslad21 10th Oct 17, 11:26 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Swanslad21
    • 10th Oct 17, 11:26 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 11:26 AM
    Thanks for your response.

I have told him he’s unlikely to lose rbe benefit as he’s scored 11 but he’s worrying himself sick.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 10th Oct 17, 12:54 PM
    • 1,753 Posts
    • 1,584 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 10th Oct 17, 12:54 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 12:54 PM
    Well it's possible to lose everything because it does happen. That's risk you have to take when going for the MR then Tribunal. Hopefully this won't happen. Good luck.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

229Posts Today

1,267Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin