Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • roxytoo
    • By roxytoo 10th Oct 17, 10:22 AM
    • 30Posts
    • 1Thanks
    roxytoo
    Trust fund from will
    • 10th Oct 17, 10:22 AM
    Trust fund from will 10th Oct 17 at 10:22 AM
    My father left 3 daughters trustees of his cash and house. I think when he made the will there would have been half a million in there but fast forward 8 years and most of it had been transferred to his present wife, so now held jointly and out of the trust...........anyway the house remains in trust for us for her lifetime with £30000 cash (monies which were in his sole name) which we are supposed to invest and give the interest to her. All seems very vague as to what we can do with it and interest on it will be negligible. One sister wants her 'share' to invest as she wishes. Can we split this 3 ways or do we all have to agree to do that? (dads wife has now said she doesn't want the interest) Solicitor acting has not given any useful advice...................
Page 1
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 10th Oct 17, 10:30 AM
    • 3,755 Posts
    • 4,019 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    • 10th Oct 17, 10:30 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 10:30 AM
    It sounds like the trust would not have been created til his death. If your step mother is willing to give up her right to the interest then this can be done through a deed of variation, and the cash can be distributed between the three of you do do with as you wish.
    • roxytoo
    • By roxytoo 10th Oct 17, 10:34 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    roxytoo
    • 10th Oct 17, 10:34 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 10:34 AM
    Yes but do we 3 all to have to agree to do that?
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 10th Oct 17, 11:03 AM
    • 3,755 Posts
    • 4,019 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    • 10th Oct 17, 11:03 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 11:03 AM
    Yes but do we 3 all to have to agree to do that?
    Originally posted by roxytoo
    The only person who needs to agree to that would be your step mother, as she is the one giving up the benefit. Why would any of you object to getting your inheritance early?
    • roxytoo
    • By roxytoo 10th Oct 17, 11:19 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    roxytoo
    • 10th Oct 17, 11:19 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 11:19 AM
    I had thought there was more stringent rules and regulations involved and wanted to honour my Dads will, I hadn't looked on it as my inheritance as such as it was going to be in 'trust' until my stepmother goes. One sister has already got the lump sum and I thought we were going to invest it as a lump sum but other sister wants her 'share' now. So just wanted to check, once we have the deed of variation, that whoever is holding it can split it up
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

50Posts Today

3,537Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin