Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nathaniel Essex
    • By Nathaniel Essex 10th Oct 17, 9:52 AM
    • 50Posts
    • 33Thanks
    Nathaniel Essex
    Should I still be paid my bonus?
    • 10th Oct 17, 9:52 AM
    Should I still be paid my bonus? 10th Oct 17 at 9:52 AM
    Hi,

My current job (on gardening leave) I get paid a monthly bonus. I left in the middle of September and I still work for the company though I am on gardening leave. I have been told my bonus for September (to be paid in October after my gardening leave is over) won't be paid. My bonus is not something that is written in my contract.

Can my employer do this?
Page 1
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 10th Oct 17, 9:57 AM
    • 460 Posts
    • 317 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 10th Oct 17, 9:57 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 9:57 AM
    Yes, bonuses are typically discretionary.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 10th Oct 17, 11:26 AM
    • 3,787 Posts
    • 6,198 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 10th Oct 17, 11:26 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 11:26 AM
    If the bonus is not contractual, then yes, they don't have to pay it.
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 10th Oct 17, 2:39 PM
    • 1,269 Posts
    • 1,287 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 10th Oct 17, 2:39 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 2:39 PM
    Bonuses are normally related to performance of the individual or the company hitting targets etc. If you are on garden leave maybe you were unable to do what was required or the company didn't do as expected? A bonus is just that. Its a bonus if you get it! It doesn't form part of your standard compensation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

230Posts Today

2,593Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @furyboy86: @MartinSLewis I read your email, and decided to check my account interest rates. My main account = 0.0%(!) and my cash ISA =?

• Yes. Theyre being paid. They're responsible. Especially for a scam that's been reported over 20 times andseen vulne? https://t.co/Q0pHZ7iH3W

• Quite right.Broken system as the six week delay forces the most vulnerable into debt at a crisis moment https://t.co/951fogq5ej

• Follow Martin