Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DiscoDav
    • By DiscoDav 10th Oct 17, 7:39 AM
    • 9Posts
    • 0Thanks
    DiscoDav
    Parking Damage
    • 10th Oct 17, 7:39 AM
    Parking Damage 10th Oct 17 at 7:39 AM
    Hi guys and girls,

Not sure if this has been covered before, iíve looked but not found the right thing...

A couple of weeks ago i was parking my car in our local high street, its a cobbles street - youíll see what i mean from the pictures.

Iíve ended up with damage to my car due to a ďdipĒ in the drainage system, i contacted the council and they have rejected my claim.

Where would you recommend me to go from here?

The Car was immaculate before this and i had intended to trade it in for a new one in the coming weeks.

I canít post links to them pictures as Iím a newbie, just after some advice
Page 1
    • verityboo
    • By verityboo 10th Oct 17, 7:43 AM
    • 882 Posts
    • 1,098 Thanks
    verityboo
    • 10th Oct 17, 7:43 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 7:43 AM
    Try typing a link to the pictures and leave some gaps in it (the gaps can then be deleted to use the link and view them)
    • DiscoDav
    • By DiscoDav 10th Oct 17, 8:01 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DiscoDav
    • 10th Oct 17, 8:01 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 8:01 AM
    Ahhhh, great advice!

A picture paints a thousand words...

ht tps :/ /ib b.c o/g cpy MG
    htt ps:/ / ib b .co / eeqG8 w
    h tt ps: / /ibb. co/i xYQ1 G
    • MikeWhite
    • By MikeWhite 10th Oct 17, 8:33 AM
    • 472 Posts
    • 211 Thanks
    MikeWhite
    • 10th Oct 17, 8:33 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 8:33 AM

• k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 10th Oct 17, 8:34 AM
    • 1,866 Posts
    • 2,933 Thanks
    k3lvc
    • 10th Oct 17, 8:34 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 8:34 AM
    I was expecting a small dip/road damage that couldn't have been expected and maybe you hadn't seen. This is a full blown gully that eveyone else parked there seems to have navigated.

Either suck it up and get it repaired yourself or contact your insurance company and claim - I can't imagine you're going to get anywhere with this via the council

I feel your pain as I've done similar on my XF but I don't consider it's someone elses fault
    Last edited by k3lvc; 10-10-2017 at 9:09 AM.
    • missile
    • By missile 10th Oct 17, 8:38 AM
    • 8,948 Posts
    • 4,336 Thanks
    missile
    • 10th Oct 17, 8:38 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 8:38 AM
    https://ibb.co/gcpyMG
    https://ibb.co/eeqG8w
    https://ibb.co/ixYQ1G

I would suggest your chances of recovering cost of repair from council are slim. Good luck,
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • caprikid1
    • By caprikid1 10th Oct 17, 9:23 AM
    • 471 Posts
    • 476 Thanks
    caprikid1
    • 10th Oct 17, 9:23 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 9:23 AM
    I would say the dip is just a feature that has been there for many year looking at the cobbles. It is always important to know the clearance of your car and drive at an appropriate angle etc. I don't think your case is helped by the fact you are local and know the road.

I suspect speed may have been a factor and you crossed the dip either to straight or too quickly that you grounded out.
    • DiscoDav
    • By DiscoDav 10th Oct 17, 9:46 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DiscoDav
    • 10th Oct 17, 9:46 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 9:46 AM
    Thank you, I wasnít sure if thatís what the case was or not. It is actually only that space where it happens, Iíve tried the two either side and nothing.

I wasnít sure if I had a case for it or not.

With ďnotĒ being the answer, Iíll get it booked in to be repaired.
    • DiscoDav
    • By DiscoDav 10th Oct 17, 9:49 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DiscoDav
    • 10th Oct 17, 9:49 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 9:49 AM
    If that was the case I wouldnít be so bothered, getting any speed on this street would be amazing, unfortunately, itís the slowest road ever haha
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 10th Oct 17, 9:52 AM
    • 4,519 Posts
    • 3,899 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    To be fair, if your intention genuinely was to PX the car soon anyway, I'd not bother. It's unlikely the sales bloke looking over the car will get down in his shiny suit on hands and knees and look under the bumper anyway, so he'll judge the condition based on the rest of the car which you say is 'immaculate'.

I've done the same in Yarm, BTW. You're not alone.
    • DiscoDav
    • By DiscoDav 10th Oct 17, 10:25 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DiscoDav
    Well thatís maybe the best news Iíve had all day!

I honestly thought they would go through it with a fine toothed comb, Iíve never part exchanged a car before, so if I leave it, itís a none issue really!

Cheers
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 10th Oct 17, 1:03 PM
    • 1,336 Posts
    • 924 Thanks
    Tarambor
    I wouldn't repair that either even if I owned the car and it wouldn't put me off buying one that had a scrape like that. It is on the underside where you can't see it on a bit of plastic that isn't going to rust and sods law says you're likely to do the same at some point anyway.
    • thescouselander
    • By thescouselander 10th Oct 17, 1:51 PM
    • 5,251 Posts
    • 4,757 Thanks
    thescouselander
    Hardly an issue - I bet the majority of cars have similar scrapes. That said I'm surprised it wasn't obvious to you that you'd ground your bumper when trying to drive over that dip.
    • Nobbie1967
    • By Nobbie1967 10th Oct 17, 2:21 PM
    • 646 Posts
    • 745 Thanks
    Nobbie1967
    Thank you, I wasnít sure if thatís what the case was or not. It is actually only that space where it happens, Iíve tried the two either side and nothing.

I wasnít sure if I had a case for it or not.

With ďnotĒ being the answer, Iíll get it booked in to be repaired.
    Originally posted by DiscoDav
    Well done, I think you're the first person on this forum who's asked a question and accepted the answer despite it not being what you wanted to hear.

Like others have said, I doubt they'll pick this up when you trade in. Good luck.
    • seatbeltnoob
    • By seatbeltnoob 10th Oct 17, 2:32 PM
    • 219 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    seatbeltnoob
    I cant see where the damage is. is it visible from stand height. or only when you look at it with a camera facing up?
    • tony6403
    • By tony6403 11th Oct 17, 12:16 AM
    • 1,206 Posts
    • 1,003 Thanks
    tony6403
    Did Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall help you sort it ?
    Forgotten but not gone.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

270Posts Today

1,429Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin