Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • k6chris
    • By k6chris 10th Oct 17, 7:32 AM
    • 151Posts
    • 232Thanks
    k6chris
    Pension Protection Limits
    • 10th Oct 17, 7:32 AM
    Pension Protection Limits 10th Oct 17 at 7:32 AM
    Having just watched "The Great Short" my mind turned to the level of protection available in case of failure of a product / business, rather than that of underlying valuations falling. A quick search found this;

https://www.fscs.org.uk/what-we-cover/compensation-limits/ which says for investments "The maximum level of compensation for claims against firms declared in default on or after 1 January 2010 is £50,000 per person per firm."

I want to try and clarify what they mean by 'Firm'? Here are a couple of scenarios, lets assume a ficticious case where I have £250,000 in a SIPP with (Say) H&L, it contains funds from Vanguard, HSBC, L&G and Black Rok, plus £100,000 in cash waiting to be invested

1) If H&L go bust, is my limit of protection £50,000 or are the underlying funds still in my name and so protected?

2) Is the £100,000 in cash (inside the SIPP) still protected as it held in a client account?

3) What happens if one of the fund issuers goes under, is that £50,000 per 'firm' too or are they outside FSCS protection?

Many thanks - I will watch Bambi next week instead
    EatingSoup
Page 1
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 10th Oct 17, 7:41 AM
    • 12,496 Posts
    • 10,496 Thanks
    zagfles
    • 10th Oct 17, 7:41 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 7:41 AM
    DIscussed here loads, search the archives. Basically money and investments are held by both platforms and fund managers in ring-fenced client accounts so if either went bust their creditors would have no access to your funds.
    • Audaxer
    • By Audaxer 10th Oct 17, 8:41 AM
    • 656 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    Audaxer
    • 10th Oct 17, 8:41 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 8:41 AM
    You are protected up to £50k under FSCS for each fund house you are invested with in the event of a major fraud and your funds are lost. You also have this same protection if the platform is subject to a major fraud. So although your funds would be ring-fenced there is a small possibility that your funds could be at risk in the event of a major fraud in either the fund houses or platform you choose to invest in.
    • michaels
    • By michaels 10th Oct 17, 9:48 AM
    • 19,951 Posts
    • 91,519 Thanks
    michaels
    • 10th Oct 17, 9:48 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 9:48 AM
    You are protected up to £50k under FSCS for each fund house you are invested with in the event of a major fraud and your funds are lost. You also have this same protection if the platform is subject to a major fraud. So although your funds would be ring-fenced there is a small possibility that your funds could be at risk in the event of a major fraud in either the fund houses or platform you choose to invest in.
    Originally posted by Audaxer
    Does this also include hacking - say your platform is hacked and funds are transferred out and stolen and the platform goes under because it can not afford to make good the losses presumably this 50k is all the compensation you would get.

Do people split funds across providers/platforms to protect themselves against this? Is this even possible if you have a company administered DC scheme?
    Cool heads and compromise
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 10th Oct 17, 9:59 AM
    • 89,929 Posts
    • 56,601 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 10th Oct 17, 9:59 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 9:59 AM
    stakeholder pensions and personal pensions using internal insured funds get 100% FSCS protection with no upper limit.

If FSCS protection is a a concern of yours then maybe using insured funds is the better option. Or at least go no more than £50k per fund house and stick to UT/OEICs and not ETFs/ITs
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,186Posts Today

5,574Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin