Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 10th Oct 17, 6:17 AM
    • 2,840Posts
    • 38,361Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Tuesday 10th October 2017
    • 10th Oct 17, 6:17 AM
    O/S Daily Tuesday 10th October 2017 10th Oct 17 at 6:17 AM
    O/S Daily Tuesday 10th October 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Still dark here, damp underfoot but not cold. Forecast is for dry, dull and overcast.

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit, will wake him shortly.

Dinner last night was a bit late because hairdresser was here, but was an easy fish, chips/jacket potato, beans/veg. I also remembered to get the beef casserole out of the freezer to defrost - so tonight I'll be re-heating this in my cast iron cooking pot on the stove top, then transferring it to the oven, and making some dumplings to go on the top, mash and veg to go with it. That has made a bit of space in the freezer - as there's 5 boxes of this, starting to actually see some space in the freezer.

Yesterday work was a nightmare, slow to start then just went manic, the telephone part of the job I did yesterday afternoon and the calls were stacked and just kept coming - but the day flew past and I do prefer to keep busy. We'll see what happens today, another busy one I hope.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 10-10-2017 at 6:24 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 1
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 10th Oct 17, 6:25 AM
    • 3,508 Posts
    • 40,556 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 10th Oct 17, 6:25 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 6:25 AM
    Morning All

I had a really good nights sleep until the wind woke me at 5, still at least I'm up and ready for a swim.

Had a much needed eyebrow wax yesterday after work then bought goodies to top up the 'snacks' drawer at school. I keep a selection of crisps and little biscuits for children that don't have a snack but most of it is usually eaten by staff. Called at Lidl for salad stuff, was glad to get home.

Washing and DW can go on later.

Hope you're all ok, take care. XX
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 10th Oct 17, 6:28 AM
    • 1,210 Posts
    • 13,541 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 10th Oct 17, 6:28 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 6:28 AM
    Good morning all, still dark but no rain so I have done one load of bedding for OH to hang out while I'm at work.

I came home early yesterday as I have an early start and alate finish today. By came home early, I mean 4.30. Was asleep by 10 and slept until 4, not bad for me.

I have nothing of any interest to say so I'll just wish everyone a good day.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • tru
    • By tru 10th Oct 17, 6:46 AM
    • 8,559 Posts
    • 42,895 Thanks
    tru
    • 10th Oct 17, 6:46 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 6:46 AM
    Morning

So glad to be home! Scampi showed his joy by racing around the garden while barking with excitement, lol, so I had to calm him down. Then he went to the fence to look at the chickens for a few seconds before coming in and stretching out on the sofa.

The house was immaculate and the mini-mes had lit a couple of scented candles, filled Scampi's bowls with fresh food and water and washed a load of towels in case we didn't have any clean ones with us. I felt guilty an hour later, we'd walked sand into the house, dumped all the dirty clothes on the floor in the hall and filled the worktops with stuff that needed sorting – it was a right mess

One of my chickens died on friday night. Miss tru phoned to tell us she was poorly and had done the usual things we do, but she was still poorly. I told her to keep her in a cosy box in the kitchen overnight and she'd already got one ready, master tru was just getting her out of the sink of warm water (hoping an egg had got stuck, the warm water relaxes the muscles and the egg will be laid) but nothing had changed. She died overnight, in the same position she was in when they left her, she went in her sleep

Everything has been tidied away and all the washing is done. I've pampered my feet – I have no idea how they ended up so sore, I spent last week sitting down as much as possible The shopping is coming this morning, I'll clean the fridge before it arrives. I'll sort the cupboards as I'm putting the new stuff away, I have no idea what was eaten last week so will probably start a new shopping list before I've even put everything away, lol. Crochet this afternoon, I'll be working on the blanket I meant to take on holiday but left on the coffee table at home

Bulletproof
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 10th Oct 17, 6:55 AM
    • 1,026 Posts
    • 8,286 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 10th Oct 17, 6:55 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 6:55 AM
    Morning everyone

Thank you for starting us off nmlc.

Dumpling, it was good to read that Becky is doing a lot better and that your meds are helping you, hopefully things will continue to improve for you and your family.

Yesterday I sorted out the new freezer and found what I thought was a small piece of steak unlabelled when I was transferring the food over, and though that would make a nice treat for dinner with salad and oven chips. It turned out my steak was sausages. I felt so disappointed, but the sausages were nice so I still enjoyed my dinner.

There are five other unlabelled packages in the freezer, so I’m just going to close my eyes and select one today. Whatever it is will be dinner today.

Yesterday turned out to be a cloudy dull day with intermittent drizzle and the forecast for today is for more of the same. I would really like to get some washing done but don’t want it hanging around the house drying. I may have to get it done and use the td.

Time for breakfast and some more tea.

Have a good day everyone whatever you are doing.
    • redruby
    • By redruby 10th Oct 17, 7:22 AM
    • 6,452 Posts
    • 89,214 Thanks
    redruby
    • 10th Oct 17, 7:22 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 7:22 AM
    Morning all

Running late this morning as overslept so just a quick dash in to say hello, and send hugs to anyone who needs one.

Have good days all xx
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 10th Oct 17, 7:55 AM
    • 2,563 Posts
    • 26,443 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    • 10th Oct 17, 7:55 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 7:55 AM
    Good morning. I finally managed to cut the grass on the front and at the back yesterday. The back needed cutting again really but I ran out of time before it dried out and it rained again last night so it won't be done today either. I managed to do the front twice by cutting it then weeding the flower beds, cutting back the roses then cutting it again. It no longer looks like the garden of an abandoned house.

The cauliflower soup that I made yesterday is in the freezer ready for tomorrow when me, three of my friends and my sister in Ireland will get weighed and restart the healthy eating plan that we try so hard to follow in order to lose weight. I've made a small start by joining the weight loss challenge but it's more fun when we're all doing it. We took a couple of weeks break because of my accident, one friend having a bereavement, another having a very ill family member and my sister going on holiday.

I have washing and ironing to do today. I usually do the ironing on Sunday but I didn't manage it this week due to the long wait at the walk-in centre. The nurse that I saw replaced the dressing with a different kind which she told me would last for 5 days however....it's not supposed to dry out and it had by tea time last night. That was the point where I gave up, had a lovely bath and redressed the thing myself afterwards (I have the dressings on prescription from the doctor but the nurse that I saw on Sunday ignored them and used something else). Fingers crossed for some sort of improvement soon, it's driving me mad.

Sorry about your chicken tru
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 10th Oct 17, 8:29 AM
    • 920 Posts
    • 11,262 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    • 10th Oct 17, 8:29 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 8:29 AM
    Morning all

Just having five minutes on here before DH arrives back with DGS. It's DD's long day today and he goes home at 3.15. So there will be a fun filled day of wooden train set with Grampy, Thomas the Tank Engine DVD's, Duplo, cooking with Grammie and perhaps a trip to soft play. We'll see.

Cranky hope your leg is better soon.

Holly I don't like washing hanging around
    the house either.

Have a good day all.

Gintot
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 10th Oct 17, 8:39 AM
    • 1,698 Posts
    • 13,270 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    • 10th Oct 17, 8:39 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 8:39 AM
    Morning all

LW - Yes, I think I need to invest in some coasters. I'll need to keep my eyes peeled for a bargain or 2.
    Gers - I agree that there's a lot of meaningless gift giving at Xmas because people feel obliged. I'm sure our very own Mr Martin Lewis has spoke about this quite often.

Yesterday I played football as I normally do. Really good fun despite the slight drizzle.

Been to the gym this morning and after work I'll swing by my friends house to see his kids, twins, who's birthday it was last week. GBBO tonight too.

Nout else to report.

Oh. I know that sleep is a common subject here. Last night, I was listening to a podcast, it's called the Happiness Podcast by an american called Dr Puff (his actual name). He said he changed his diet and exercising habits and now only need 3-6 hours sleep. Never any longer and feels fully awake with no side effects. Thing is, he didn't actually then tell us what those changes where! As so now, as I write this, I realise there wasn't much point in telling that story haha.

HH - Freezer roulette, love it! Good luck I suppose.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 10th Oct 17, 9:10 AM
    • 1,865 Posts
    • 18,364 Thanks
    snoozer
    Dumpling, I'm glad things are going well for you at the moment, long may it continue.

Tru, all your hard work seems to have paid off with regard to the junior Trus, well done.

Ziggypup woke us at 4 this morning for some reason and it took a while to settle her again. Maybe it was the new crate she was in.

I spoke to DS last night, their house move is at that frustrating stage where all the buyers and sellers have done their thing but the solicitors seem to be dragging their feet. He sounded happy though which is good, he is my Eeyore and I worry about him when he's down.

Having said that, my Tigger DD has been going through the wringer a bit and it's almost worse when someone who is upbeat is down.

Not a lot going on here, but my hacking cough seems to be relenting at last and I'm starting to feel better, I'm also looking forward to starting a new sewing project, a dreamcatcher quilt for a baby.
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 10th Oct 17, 9:20 AM
    • 1,697 Posts
    • 15,646 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

OH is driving me daft again, yesterday when we got back from town he said he felt sick, he wasn't but we had the same thing again last night. No way am I taking him to the wedding on Sunday, I just cannot cope. The medication I am on does not seem to be having much effect either.

Moved back into the bedroom last night cue usual fidgeting and sniffing, how ever it did not last for long. So I had a reasonable night. At least if it gets too bad I can go and get into the day bed, it does not take long to warm up.

Sketchy Monday clean to do today, will do the bathroom this morning, might leave the bedroom till tomorrow, depends how I feel.

OH is going out to do some more at the shed, the back and part of one side has the preservative on now. There is not so much wood on the front as it has the window in it.

Stovies for supper, although it might turn into corned beef and salad, depends how I feel later.

Did manage a bit of sewing yesterday, want to do a couple more things this morning, and then possibly concentrate on the Christmas Tree wall hangings. If I can find the wonder under.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 10th Oct 17, 9:26 AM
    • 1,604 Posts
    • 18,900 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Morning everyone,

Bit later today, after 6am starts over the weekend I decided to have a lie-in

I am off to Norwich today with my friend as we are attending the funeral of an ex work colleague, like us she was treated appallingly when our company was taken over, it will be interesting to see who turns up in an official capacity!
    Don't think I will get over to see Lulu today, she was very sweet yesterday, much more relaxed, so think the settling in process is going well.
    Sorry to hear about your chicken Tru
    Glad to read that you are starting to feel better Snoozer

Have a good day folks x
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 10th Oct 17, 9:32 AM
    • 12,062 Posts
    • 34,311 Thanks
    Nelski
    Morning lovelies

Tru nice to see you back sorry about your chicken but sounds like your minis had everything under control.

Another work day today with some house stuff intermingled. Have to put the spare bedding back on which is by far my most hated job in the house, would rather scrub loos any day. Least I know my guests have fresher bedding than me

Spoke to mum last night and it seems my bro has told her he wont be able to see her for 3 months as he working in France again (a good hour away ) Really annoyed as he is not telling me of course which means all mum duties are my responsibility again. ( not that they ever weren't but he has done 2 visits to date ) Thats fine by the way but I wish he would have the balls to tell me. Mum wasn't happy either to be fair and she got a bit teary about it. Hope he enjoys all the money he will make .....and now i will breathe and shut up lol.

Slow cooked beef last night left over from the weekend. Couple of portions left for mum and my freezer. Tonight I think I will have something with bacon and cheese but no idea what yet far too early.

Hope you all have a great Tues
    • Judi
    • By Judi 10th Oct 17, 9:35 AM
    • 15,178 Posts
    • 62,013 Thanks
    Judi
    Morning all,

Well my kitchen floor is back to concrete with big holes in. Have to wait till Friday to have it laid.

Arrangements are being made for a school friend reunion on Friday. We've been messaging for months but circumstances have prevented us from getting together. Only thing is, it's straight after another school friends Mother's funeral. We are going to support our school friend but it doesn't seem right that it's on the back of a funeral somehow. My school friend has invited her brother...the 7ft tall skinny one of her brothers and the sister of the show off with a Thai bride. Should make an interesting afternoon....Still seems a bit wrong somehow and I've made my friend promise...no dancing on tables. We both need the boost, I'm as miserable as sin at the moment and she's living life to the full as she's been battling with cancer for the last 3 years. Her brother, the tall skinny one needs a boost too as he's got an inoperable tumor on the brain. The sister of the man with the Thai bride will be holding us together if we get carried away...no alcohol will be involved. Well they can't drink due to medication. Jen is playing Mother and I need to have me wits about me.

Still struggling with me bed. Nearly crushed me dog when I got out of bed in the early hours and I need a ladder.

Onwards and forwards

Have a great day all
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • Gers
    • By Gers 10th Oct 17, 9:41 AM
    • 5,830 Posts
    • 34,246 Thanks
    Gers
    Morning all.

Just dashing, need to get out the door and drive to Oban. After my teaching I'm meeting my reluctant staff member in an attempt to guide her into 21st century teaching and assessment methods. So far it's been a struggle, hopefully our last meeting the other week will have convinced her that she needs to shape up.

I'll have lunch in the college refectory, the hospitality students do it so it's always 'interesting'.

Happy Tuesday everyone.
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 10th Oct 17, 11:58 AM
    • 353 Posts
    • 4,247 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Morning all, just !
    I enjoyed having DGD yesterday and we spent most of the time "colouring in" . DD arrived for pick up about 7pm and had lost her voice, not very good when you have to talk to parents. Unfortunately she has to do it all again today .
    Had a bad nights sleep too, just couldn't seem to drop orff. So a bit tired today.
    Will do some ironing this afternoon, there's only a few T. shirts in the basket. Nothing much else that has to be done.
    I will call dad later for a check in and I hope he's up for a cleaning session on Thursday.
    Decided on beef pie and chips for tea, both from the freezer. I thought that our eating out of the freezer to get stocks down would be a piece of cake, but it seems not as my dad has already started to refill it with random lumps of meat . At the moment he seems to be stuck buying joints of pork and nothing else. Perhaps he remembered that his pork dinner last Sunday was M.I.A. ( He doesn't mind really what he has, as long as he gets fed a home cooked meal. )
    Anyway must show willing and do something.
    Have a good day everyone.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 10th Oct 17, 2:36 PM
    • 9,783 Posts
    • 105,331 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Tru sorry to hear about the Chook. Small comfort, but at least she was cared for at the end.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 10th Oct 17, 2:58 PM
    • 5,830 Posts
    • 34,246 Thanks
    Gers
    Back from Oban, all went well! Staff member just finds it difficult to focus on one topic at a time and jumps around too much in conversation. It'll all be sorted one topic at a time.

I had a very tasty lunch in the refectory, a brie and tomato tart which went down really well. Along with a little salad and coleslaw it was a bargain at £2.50.

When I opened my fridge I found a big bag of diced venison sitting in it courtesy of one of my neighbours and his stalking party. Now I need to cook it all up.

Rain, wind, cold, dark and damp here. Just as well I'm sunny!
    • Judi
    • By Judi 10th Oct 17, 5:48 PM
    • 15,178 Posts
    • 62,013 Thanks
    Judi
    Just had a message from my daughter in SA telling me she was safe.... i had no idea of what had gone on.

https://www.facebook.com/crisisresponse/durban-kwazulu-natal-storm-oct10-2017/home/
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 10th Oct 17, 6:57 PM
    • 4,919 Posts
    • 47,493 Thanks
    meanmarie
    Evening all,

Very grey day here......no rain and not very cold, thankfully OHs blood pressure was proven to be fine by the monitor so it was a worthwhile trip today.....I hate NEEDING to be anywhere early in the morning.

I am looking forward to a overnight visit from a frien who lives in Canada, she doesnt come to Ireland very often since her parents died, is here for a niece's wedding so we will have a good catch up......we have been friends for 50 years so at this stage every meeting is precious.

Csarina.....so sorry that life is so tough for you at present......enjoy the wedding at the weekend.

Judi....good to know that your daughter is safe before you even know that there is cause for alarm.

Nelski.....brothers can be like that, and I used to go mad when my late father expected me to be on hand day or night to sort his problems.....it will pass.

Mossy is very happy this evening, DD3 and her OH and baby took him for a long run in the woods....he is so tired now!

We are having chicken, baked potatoes, peas and green beans for dinner, ready now and I am hungry.

Hugs and positive vibes to all.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,033Posts Today

6,600Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin