Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mrandrewsmith
    • By mrandrewsmith 9th Oct 17, 11:49 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 1Thanks
    mrandrewsmith
    Question re contactless cards
    • 9th Oct 17, 11:49 PM
    Question re contactless cards 9th Oct 17 at 11:49 PM
    So, I have current accounts with all UK banks and all my accounts bar two have contactless cards issued. The two that donít are HSBC and TSB.

I contacted both these banks to request contactless cards but was declined. Both banks said it was due to the fact contactless cards can make you overdrawn etc.

The ironic thing is I can add both these cards to Apple Pay or android pay which is exactly the same as contactless so Iím baffled as to why the banks will not issue contactless cards.

Anyone any ideas on this, is it purely a credit rating related thing? But if that were the case why have the other banks issues contactless cards?

Note I have never had any issues with either of these banks e.g overdrawn etc.

Many thanks!
Page 1
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 10th Oct 17, 7:54 AM
    • 6,988 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 10th Oct 17, 7:54 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 7:54 AM
    Different banks do things different ways.

Different accounts with the same bank do things different ways.

The way you use an account with an individual bank gives them a view of your risk profile in addition to information they gathered when you applied.

There's no exact answer to your question though.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 10th Oct 17, 8:04 AM
    • 15,171 Posts
    • 38,022 Thanks
    elsien
    • 10th Oct 17, 8:04 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 8:04 AM
    The contactless payments don't show up immediately so I accidentally went over the limit on mine - I presumed that it would be declined when I got to the limit but it wasn't so I got hit with all the charges. Maybe something to do with that if you're operating close to the limits? Do you have an overdraft facility - if not might that be why?
    Last edited by elsien; 10-10-2017 at 8:08 AM.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Don80
    • By Don80 10th Oct 17, 10:11 AM
    • 186 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    Don80
    • 10th Oct 17, 10:11 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 10:11 AM
    So, I have current accounts with all UK banks and all my accounts bar two have contactless cards issued. The two that donít are HSBC and TSB.

I contacted both these banks to request contactless cards but was declined. Both banks said it was due to the fact contactless cards can make you overdrawn etc.

The ironic thing is I can add both these cards to Apple Pay or android pay which is exactly the same as contactless so Iím baffled as to why the banks will not issue contactless cards.

Anyone any ideas on this, is it purely a credit rating related thing? But if that were the case why have the other banks issues contactless cards?

Note I have never had any issues with either of these banks e.g overdrawn etc.

Many thanks!
    Originally posted by mrandrewsmith
    I had a similar issue with RBS, they said (several times) that I was not eligible for a contactless card, despite never being overdrawn, and at the time I was using it as my main account, and having banked with them since I was in my teens.

A few years ago, I opened an account with TSB as they paid interest - and they gave me a contactless card. So I started using TSB as my main account. I opened another account with the Bank of Scotland later (I lost the TSB cashback last year) and they gave me a contactless card. The Bank of Scotland is now my main account. I used the CASS service this year to transfer the RBS account to Halifax, and they also gave me a contactless card.

So the short answer is, who knows! I have no idea why RBS wouldn't give me a contactless card, so closing it was no great loss (it didn't even pay interest). All my debit cards are now contactless (and so are my credit cards!).

As for apple pay - you're right, it does seem daft that you can link a non-contactless card to it.
    • alanq
    • By alanq 10th Oct 17, 10:34 AM
    • 3,787 Posts
    • 2,428 Thanks
    alanq
    • 10th Oct 17, 10:34 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 10:34 AM
    According to a BBC Radio 4 You And Yours interviewee, from this month all contactless transactions will be made online. This means that being contactless will not increase the risk of being overdrawn.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05fhkp4 (1st item)
    I'm a Board Guide on the Budgeting and Bank Accounts, Savings & Investments, Food Shopping and Over 50s MoneySaving boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • debtorwithaquestion
    • By debtorwithaquestion 10th Oct 17, 12:21 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    debtorwithaquestion
    • 10th Oct 17, 12:21 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 12:21 PM
    Opened two new current accounts in 2015. TSB who wouldn’t give a contactless card and RBS who did give a contactless card. Kept asking tsb and tried to run the account and actually use it and eventually about a year later they gave me a contactless card.

Interesting to see the effect of all contactless payments switching to ‘online authorisation’. Maybe this will mean that every bank will issue them to everyone? I know my barclays account which is a full current account (not basic) always goes online to check balance when I pay with the contactless card.
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 10th Oct 17, 2:36 PM
    • 7,149 Posts
    • 10,004 Thanks
    KxMx
    • 10th Oct 17, 2:36 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 2:36 PM
    HSBC just agreed to upgrade my debit card to a contactless, even with 18 months left on the old one.

I've been with them over a decade, high 3 figures in my account and a perfect history. AFAIK I have an overdraft facility (never used) but no arrangement. I have two additional accounts with Santander & Tesco, all with no problems/charges etc.

What type of account do you have with them? I believe for HSBC they are now standard issue* for all accounts apart from Basic Bank Account.

*But still subject to status.
    Last edited by KxMx; 10-10-2017 at 2:44 PM.
    • mrandrewsmith
    • By mrandrewsmith 10th Oct 17, 3:00 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    mrandrewsmith
    • 10th Oct 17, 3:00 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 3:00 PM
    Itís just their normal ďbank accountĒ. Itís not a basic one, itís the one that sits below their Advance.

Like I said in my original post Iíve never had any arrears / overdrafts with any of these banks. I spoke to HSBC and they said I had to wait another six months before they would reconsider an application for a contactless card. Iíve only been waiting 2 years!
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 10th Oct 17, 4:07 PM
    • 5,609 Posts
    • 5,442 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 10th Oct 17, 4:07 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 4:07 PM
    I spoke to HSBC and they said I had to wait another six months before they would reconsider an application for a contactless card. Iíve only been waiting 2 years!
    Why is this an issue for you if you "have current accounts with all UK banks and all [your] accounts bar two have contactless cards issued"? You must have a thick wad of contactless cards already and a huge range of alternative accounts to use as your 'main' spending one(s), so it's not clear why you're so keen to add HSBC and TSB to your bulging collection....
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 10th Oct 17, 4:53 PM
    • 1,257 Posts
    • 1,644 Thanks
    Kim_13
    I got a contactless card from Halifax but TSB wouldn't give me one (I tried requesting it back when they started the 555 thing.)

I know banks do things different ways but thought that TSB was still using LBG systems at the time.

Doesn't bother me now as my window for the offer has passed.
    Sealed Pot 10 #520 ~ ~£10/£100
    VSP 2017 #9 ~ £108.83/£250.00
    CCCC 2017 #1 ~ £200.95/£120.00
    • GibbsRule No3
    • By GibbsRule No3 10th Oct 17, 5:42 PM
    • 630 Posts
    • 363 Thanks
    GibbsRule No3
    I just have a Co Op Cashminder account, obviously not contactless, so I just have the card on my iPhone and use that. M&S donít even restrict that to £30. So bit daft really. I love ďpingingĒ with the phone.
    Paddle No 21
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

355Posts Today

2,423Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin