Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jones254
    • By Jones254 9th Oct 17, 11:21 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Jones254
    Cohabiting
    • 9th Oct 17, 11:21 PM
    Cohabiting 9th Oct 17 at 11:21 PM
    Hello guys, just wanting some other people's opinions on this situation...

I am a home owner and have been for 5 years. My boyfriend (4 years) moved in at the beginning of the year and we agreed that he would pay £250 rent to contribute to bills etc which was a lot cheaper than what he previously paid when he rented a flat.

In total my monthly outgoings are just under 700 a month (bills, mortgage, insurances etc) on top of this I pay for all house maintenance, repair, renovation, household items (all appliances, furniture and furnishings)etc (the home is being fully renovated) my boyfriend will not assist with any of this even if something breaks he will leave it. I also recently had all of the doors replaced and he has not assisted with the painting of these doors leaving it all to me in very black and white terms saying he is just a lodger and the landlord would do all this if he was in a private rented place.

I had a smart meter fitted recently and my boyfriend is questioning me about bills, he is saying he thinks it's unfair that he has to pay me 250 a month as his calculation and how often he uses things do not equate to this amount and he says he should pay 150 instead and he does not think it is right that I make money from him. I have explained to him that the smart meter shows actual usage but I pay a monthly flat rate as per contact and that there are the rent fees also with gas and electric but he thinks I'm lying.

It making me sad but also confused, he is mentioning this often but In my opinion 250 was fair considering I sort out everything and he does nothing. It was also an agreement made prior to him moving in.

I have also let him have an entire room for himself only as he likes his own space and let him have the shed as he wanted to store a lot of things (it's now full so I cannot store anything in it)

In terms of income we have exactly the same wage as we have the same job!

We also pay personal bills separate such as our car insurance etc.

Am i missing something here? What do other people do?
Page 1
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 9th Oct 17, 11:25 PM
    • 1,687 Posts
    • 2,527 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    • 9th Oct 17, 11:25 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 11:25 PM
    hmmm i think taking everything into account ....

Put the lodger fee's up to a more realistic £350 and tell him you will no longer be partaking in any activities a normal landlord wouldn't if he was renting a place.

Then look for a new boyfriend.
    • Money maker
    • By Money maker 9th Oct 17, 11:33 PM
    • 4,859 Posts
    • 11,094 Thanks
    Money maker
    • 9th Oct 17, 11:33 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 11:33 PM
    Ask him to switch off the light on his way out ...
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed.

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite!
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 9th Oct 17, 11:37 PM
    • 35,702 Posts
    • 45,974 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 9th Oct 17, 11:37 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 11:37 PM
    And tell him dont let the door bang him on his !!!! on the way out,,,,

He is taking you for a mug and you arexare allowing him to do so.
    You deserve far, far better treatment than what you are getting from this pratt. Pffy. Get rid
    Last edited by McKneff; 09-10-2017 at 11:40 PM.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    • pearl123
    • By pearl123 9th Oct 17, 11:42 PM
    • 1,258 Posts
    • 1,868 Thanks
    pearl123
    • 9th Oct 17, 11:42 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 11:42 PM

I am a home owner and have been for 5 years. My boyfriend (4 years) moved in at the beginning of the year and we agreed that he would pay £250 rent to contribute to bills etc which was a lot cheaper than what he previously paid when he rented a flat.

In total my monthly outgoings are just under 700 a month (bills, mortgage, insurances etc) on top of this I pay for all house maintenance, repair, renovation, household items (all appliances, furniture and furnishings)etc (the home is being fully renovated) my boyfriend will not assist with any of this even if something breaks he will leave it. I also recently had all of the doors replaced and he has not assisted with the painting of these doors leaving it all to me in very black and white terms saying he is just a lodger and the landlord would do all this if he was in a private rented place.

I had a smart meter fitted recently and my boyfriend is questioning me about bills, he is saying he thinks it's unfair that he has to pay me 250 a month as his calculation and how often he uses things do not equate to this amount and he says he should pay 150 instead and he does not think it is right that I make money from him. I have explained to him that the smart meter shows actual usage but I pay a monthly flat rate as per contact and that there are the rent fees also with gas and electric but he thinks I'm lying.

It making me sad but also confused, he is mentioning this often but In my opinion 250 was fair considering I sort out everything and he does nothing. It was also an agreement made prior to him moving in.

I have also let him have an entire room for himself only as he likes his own space and let him have the shed as he wanted to store a lot of things (it's now full so I cannot store anything in it)

Originally posted by Jones254
    To be honest he does not sound like much of a catch!
    He's not really contributing much. I'd ask for more rent.
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 10th Oct 17, 5:10 AM
    • 659 Posts
    • 395 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 10th Oct 17, 5:10 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 5:10 AM
    He should be paying 50% of the bills and 50% of what it would cost to rent the house. I am sure that will be a lot more than £250.
    • mattpaint
    • By mattpaint 10th Oct 17, 5:15 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    mattpaint
    • 10th Oct 17, 5:15 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 5:15 AM
    You can't have it both ways. Either he pays just 50% of the bills or more and he gains a financial interest in the house. Pick your poison.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 10th Oct 17, 8:09 AM
    • 3,605 Posts
    • 7,945 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 10th Oct 17, 8:09 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 8:09 AM
    He should be paying 50% of the bills and 50% of what it would cost to rent the house. I am sure that will be a lot more than £250.
    Originally posted by Tom99
    Someone will be along to say "beneficial interest" soon if he pays anything more than bills
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • spirit
    • By spirit 10th Oct 17, 8:22 AM
    • 2,616 Posts
    • 5,727 Thanks
    spirit
    • 10th Oct 17, 8:22 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 8:22 AM
    [QUOTE=Jones254;73240142]

QUOTE]

You've answered your own question.
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee.
    • atolaas
    • By atolaas 10th Oct 17, 8:33 AM
    • 1,081 Posts
    • 5,287 Thanks
    atolaas
    If he thinks that you're being unfair...I'd like to seem him find a room to rent all inclusive for 250 quid per month. If he doesn't like the arrangement as it stands then show his a*se the door!
    SPC7 ~ Member#390 ~ £432.45 declared
    Re-joined SW 9 Feb 2015 1 stone lost so far

Her Serene Highness the Princess Atolaas of the Alphabetty Thread as appointed by Queen Upsidedown Bear
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 10th Oct 17, 9:48 AM
    • 1,215 Posts
    • 1,006 Thanks
    Comms69

I am a home owner and have been for 5 years. My boyfriend (4 years) moved in at the beginning of the year and we agreed that he would pay £250 rent to contribute to bills etc which was a lot cheaper than what he previously paid when he rented a flat. - so he pays more than half of the bills?

In total my monthly outgoings are just under 700 a month (bills, mortgage, insurances etc) on top of this I pay for all house maintenance, repair, renovation, household items (all appliances, furniture and furnishings)etc (the home is being fully renovated) my boyfriend will not assist with any of this even if something breaks he will leave it. - well i mean he should help, but I can see his point in that it's your house and he isn't benefiting from any of the work. (if he actually did do work he could gain a beneficial interest) I also recently had all of the doors replaced and he has not assisted with the painting of these doors leaving it all to me in very black and white terms saying he is just a lodger and the landlord would do all this if he was in a private rented place. - He's not a lodger, but he is a guest

I had a smart meter fitted recently and my boyfriend is questioning me about bills, he is saying he thinks it's unfair that he has to pay me 250 a month as his calculation and how often he uses things do not equate to this amount and he says he should pay 150 instead and he does not think it is right that I make money from him. I have explained to him that the smart meter shows actual usage but I pay a monthly flat rate as per contact and that there are the rent fees also with gas and electric but he thinks I'm lying. - rent fees?

It making me sad but also confused, he is mentioning this often but In my opinion 250 was fair considering I sort out everything and he does nothing. It was also an agreement made prior to him moving in. - What are the bills and nothing else? divide that by two, that's what he should pay and what you want him to pay, to avoid him gaining ownership

I have also let him have an entire room for himself only as he likes his own space and let him have the shed as he wanted to store a lot of things (it's now full so I cannot store anything in it) - Presumably the furniture etc is all yours?

It depends if there's a future or not. You clearly don't want him to gain any ownership rights, but then you shouldn't expect him to contribute to the house in the same way either
    • Judi
    • By Judi 10th Oct 17, 9:58 AM
    • 15,445 Posts
    • 63,751 Thanks
    Judi
    Ain't love grand? 🙂
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 10th Oct 17, 10:22 AM
    • 3,605 Posts
    • 7,945 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    The dichotomy remains, one can charge a "lodger" more than the cost of bills, but if they become a "partner" and get the additional benefit of sex with the landlord / landlady, they also get a potential beneficial interest in the property, because something.

No, it doesn't make sense to me either, but it gets trotted out here a lot.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 10th Oct 17, 10:32 AM
    • 1,961 Posts
    • 6,694 Thanks
    Ilona
    Tell him to buy the house next door for that amount. If he does and is still your boyfriend, you can pop round to each others for the benefits, and you get to keep your house.

No, just chuck him out it will be easier.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 10th Oct 17, 10:36 AM
    • 1,215 Posts
    • 1,006 Thanks
    Comms69
    The dichotomy remains, one can charge a "lodger" more than the cost of bills, but if they become a "partner" and get the additional benefit of sex with the landlord / landlady, they also get a potential beneficial interest in the property, because something.

No, it doesn't make sense to me either, but it gets trotted out here a lot.
    Originally posted by onomatopoeia99

It's called living as one household. Sex really doesn't change it one way or the other.

The common rule is that lodgers don't share a bed with their landlord, but that's more of a simplistic point. Plenty of couples don't share a bed.
    • pearl123
    • By pearl123 10th Oct 17, 10:38 AM
    • 1,258 Posts
    • 1,868 Thanks
    pearl123
    IF he's not doing anything around the house then that sounds more like a teenager.
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 10th Oct 17, 10:41 AM
    • 9,357 Posts
    • 118,604 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Charge him £400 per month, to cover 'bills and food'
    Sun, Sea
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 10th Oct 17, 10:44 AM
    • 28,634 Posts
    • 72,950 Thanks
    Mojisola
    My boyfriend (4 years) moved in at the beginning of the year
    Are you happy? If not, why is he still living in your house?
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 10th Oct 17, 10:57 AM
    • 1,215 Posts
    • 1,006 Thanks
    Comms69
    Charge him £400 per month, to cover 'bills and food'
    Originally posted by kazwookie
    That wont work in court....
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 10th Oct 17, 1:08 PM
    • 3,947 Posts
    • 2,943 Thanks
    sheramber
    You need to decide of he os a lodger or a boyfriend and treat him accordingly.

Find out what lodgers pay locally and charge him that , plus extra for use of the shed and stop any 'benefits'.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,982Posts Today

7,788Users online

Martin's Twitter