Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • trinidadone
    • By trinidadone 9th Oct 17, 10:53 PM
    • 2,945Posts
    • 1,107Thanks
    trinidadone
    Data Breach from Yahoo
    • 9th Oct 17, 10:53 PM
    Data Breach from Yahoo 9th Oct 17 at 10:53 PM
    I received a email today from Yahoo communications, informing me, following the announcement in December 2016 of a Data Breach, new information has been presented, suggesting my user information has been affected.

The stolen user account information may have included names, email addresses, telephone numbers, dates of birth, hashed passwords (using MD5) and, in some cases, encrypted or unencrypted security questions and answers. Not all of these data elements may have been present for my account.

Anyone else received such a email???
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
Page 1
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 9th Oct 17, 11:22 PM
    • 2,470 Posts
    • 1,804 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    • 9th Oct 17, 11:22 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 11:22 PM
    Yes. Plenty others as well I expect.
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 10th Oct 17, 10:07 AM
    • 1,011 Posts
    • 559 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 10th Oct 17, 10:07 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 10:07 AM
    Pop your email into https://haveibeenpwned.com/ and you'll probably find at least three or four breaches across various services that you use or have used in the past with your email address.

This just goes to underline why you should be changing your password regularly or at the very least not reusing the same password across multiple services. Yes its easier just to remember one password and email for hundreds of sites but the people who steal this information know that so typically once they have details of fred at home.com who uses the password whiskey its often the case fred will use the same password and email at ebay, amazon, etc.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 10th Oct 17, 8:39 PM
    • 26,204 Posts
    • 10,460 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 10th Oct 17, 8:39 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 8:39 PM
    Had the same email also, but who used real details to register their yahoo account anyway?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Uxb
    • By Uxb 10th Oct 17, 9:37 PM
    • 981 Posts
    • 1,048 Thanks
    Uxb
    • 10th Oct 17, 9:37 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 9:37 PM
    ..all those with BT on whose behalf Yahoo was running their email service?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,095Posts Today

9,462Users online

Martin's Twitter