Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nearlythere17
    • By Nearlythere17 9th Oct 17, 8:23 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Nearlythere17
    Joint to sole ownership and remortgage advice, please
    • 9th Oct 17, 8:23 PM
    Joint to sole ownership and remortgage advice, please 9th Oct 17 at 8:23 PM
    Hi, first ever post, so will aim to be clear and brief (and grateful!)

Nearly 20 years ago, I bought a house in joint names with a then partner because we had a baby together. Soon after purchase we separated, he actually never lived in house, never paid a mortgage and my parents paid the deposit

Mainly through naivety and a bit of stupidity, I never applied to have him taken off the mortgage/house, he never paid any maintenance and now fast forward 19 years when he can't be held liable for maintenance, he then tried to take me to court for half the equity.

After a great deal of to-ing and froi-ng, he has agreed that I pay him £5k and he gets released from mortgage and off house.

House bought for £53k, now worth approx £120k, outstanding mortgage of £45k

Sounds simple enough, but ...

Bradford and Bingley won't sign such an old mortgage over to lone name, so I need to remortgage, but I have really poor credit (one CCJ and a debt repayment plan)

I earning £70k per annum until Nov 16, but have recently set up my own company, I paid myself £12k Jan-April 17, then this year £12k so far, I have £10k in my personal bank account, there's around £10k in my Company account now and it has no debts, I am not taking a fixed wage at present, so cannot show earnings.

What can I do? I am so confused and a bit scared

If I can't transfer to lone name he is going to take me to court and go for half the equity

Is a remortgage the best (only) option, or should I look to a loan or somehow can I buy it through the company?

I am now married, my husband has good credit, but a large mortgage on our family home (in just his name, I am on no other mortgages), he knows everything and might be prepared to join me on mortgage/take over mortgage, as he knows there is loads of equity and I am planning to sell, but I'd rather not inconvenience him by having to get him involved in having to make applications and all the paperwork etc unless it is the clear best option

I just want to put it for sale straight after Christmas, so the equity will be released virtually immediately, it is a short term fix I am after.

Thank you so much
Page 1
    • YHM
    • By YHM 9th Oct 17, 9:04 PM
    • 300 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    YHM
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:04 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:04 PM
    Evening.

Thanks for the detail. Guessing from your note about family home, that the property in question is either rented out or unoccupied?
    I am a Mortgage Broker.

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice
    • Nearlythere17
    • By Nearlythere17 9th Oct 17, 9:35 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Nearlythere17
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:35 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:35 PM
    Hello, there's a family member living there, but she'll move out whenever I need her too, I'd give a month's notice for courtesy
    • Nearlythere17
    • By Nearlythere17 9th Oct 17, 9:37 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Nearlythere17
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:37 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:37 PM
    *need her TO
    • YHM
    • By YHM 10th Oct 17, 9:04 AM
    • 300 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    YHM
    • 10th Oct 17, 9:04 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 9:04 AM
    If the property isn't occupied by yourself, you would struggle to remortgage it on to a standard residential rate, so the easiest thing would be to convert it to a BTL and release the 5k capital for your ex that way. The property can then either be formerly rented to your family member (not ideal) or rented to mainstream. This would also solve the issue of you only recently changed employment style, as the assessment would more be based on rental income then your personal income and outgoings.
    I am a Mortgage Broker.

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

214Posts Today

2,023Users online

Martin's Twitter