Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kah22
    • By kah22 9th Oct 17, 8:20 PM
    • 1,286Posts
    • 457Thanks
    kah22
    Christmas Cake - missed ingredient
    • 9th Oct 17, 8:20 PM
    Christmas Cake - missed ingredient 9th Oct 17 at 8:20 PM
    I had my first Christmas cake in the oven tonighf for about ten minutes when it struck me I hadnít added the treacle. Iím using Delia Smithís Recipe

OK so itís not the end of the world but rather than giving it that dark coloured look will it affect the taste of the cake? My intention was to completely ice it

As I see it the cake is essentially a rich fruit cake and Iím wondering would it be best put by and just used as a fruit cake during February and March or just use it as a light Christmas cake
    I used to be indecisive,but now I'm not so sure.
Page 1
    • caronc
    • By caronc 9th Oct 17, 8:27 PM
    • 2,406 Posts
    • 15,907 Thanks
    caronc
    • 9th Oct 17, 8:27 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 8:27 PM
    If you have followed the rest of the recipe it will be absolutely fine, the treacle adds colour as much as anything else. Give it a good soaking in the booze or juice of your choice in the run up and use as you had planned, I'm sure no one will notice the missing treacle as it's loaded with other tasty things and in the scale of the cake it's a teensy amount.
    June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £125/£200
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 9th Oct 17, 8:28 PM
    • 2,868 Posts
    • 7,839 Thanks
    Callie22
    • 9th Oct 17, 8:28 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 8:28 PM
    It's only a dessertspoon of treacle in what is a large cake, so I really don't think that it will make too much difference. If you save the cake and feed it between now and Christmas then I'm sure it will be absolutely fine. I suspect that the treacle is in the recipe partly for colour and flavour but also to act as an humectant, so the cake may be a tiny bit drier, but I honestly doubt you'll notice. Just feed it well and no-one will notice
    • kah22
    • By kah22 9th Oct 17, 9:14 PM
    • 1,286 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    kah22
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:14 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:14 PM
    Thanks for the re assurance, I had been thinking along those lines myself.

At this time of the year I generally bake a few, one for myself and others for family members. Iíll keep this one.

Feeding it - Iím renowned for feeding my cakes 🥃 🥃 🥃
    I used to be indecisive,but now I'm not so sure.
    • CapricornLass
    • By CapricornLass 12th Oct 17, 8:46 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 194 Thanks
    CapricornLass
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:46 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:46 PM
    I missed the treacle out of the cake for several years running (because I kept forgetting to buy the stuff!)

Nobody noticed.
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 265.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 12th Oct 17, 10:24 PM
    • 23,554 Posts
    • 49,362 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 12th Oct 17, 10:24 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 10:24 PM
    Treacle is a bit of a waste anyway, the dark stuff is just bitter.

I’m a compulsive feeder too....but am careful who I share it with now! A few years ago I was told that my Christmas cake burned someone’s lips! How bizarre is that?!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,692Posts Today

8,906Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin