Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DavidWFC
    • By DavidWFC 9th Oct 17, 7:42 PM
    • 52Posts
    • 40Thanks
    DavidWFC
    Speeding
    • 9th Oct 17, 7:42 PM
    Speeding 9th Oct 17 at 7:42 PM
    I know it's bad and many of you will have little sympathy, I've been driving for a few years and have never been caught speeding. I was doing 41MPH in a 30-Zone. The letter notifying of indented prosecution says £100, however people are saying I'll get charged 100% of my weekly earnings under new rulings. Is this true? I really hope not with it been my first offence, was expecting £100 and a speed awareness course.
Page 1
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 9th Oct 17, 7:48 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 334 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    • 9th Oct 17, 7:48 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 7:48 PM
    I know it's bad and many of you will have little sympathy, I've been driving for a few years and have never been caught speeding. I was doing 41MPH in a 30-Zone. The letter notifying of indented prosecution says £100, however people are saying I'll get charged 100% of my weekly earnings under new rulings. Is this true? I really hope not with it been my first offence, was expecting £100 and a speed awareness course.
    Originally posted by DavidWFC
    So what have you been offered? £100 and three point? If it's a fixed penalty the clue is in the name regardless of income.
    • Nearly Old
    • By Nearly Old 9th Oct 17, 8:27 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 194 Thanks
    Nearly Old
    • 9th Oct 17, 8:27 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 8:27 PM
    If this the first NIP (Notice of Intended Prosecution) then at this point you have not been offered anything as this has been sent to the Registered Keeper who may / or may not have been the driver at the time of the offence. The important section is on the reverse side which is the S172 form to confirm the identity of the driver, when this has been completed and returned then the Conditional Offer letter will be issued.

For a 30mph limit the limits in the guidelines are as follows:
    Prosecution from 35mph (10% + 2)
    Speed Awareness Course (SAC) (if appropriate) 35mph to 42mph
    If SAC not appropriate £100 + 3 points Fixed Penalty up to 49mph
    Summons from 50mph

So you may well get the offer of a SAC at 41mph.
    • DavidWFC
    • By DavidWFC 9th Oct 17, 9:41 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    DavidWFC
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:41 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:41 PM
    If this the first NIP (Notice of Intended Prosecution) then at this point you have not been offered anything as this has been sent to the Registered Keeper who may / or may not have been the driver at the time of the offence. The important section is on the reverse side which is the S172 form to confirm the identity of the driver, when this has been completed and returned then the Conditional Offer letter will be issued.

For a 30mph limit the limits in the guidelines are as follows:
    Prosecution from 35mph (10% + 2)
    Speed Awareness Course (SAC) (if appropriate) 35mph to 42mph
    If SAC not appropriate £100 + 3 points Fixed Penalty up to 49mph
    Summons from 50mph

So you may well get the offer of a SAC at 41mph.
    Originally posted by Nearly Old
    That's what I thought and expected but it really gets confusing online, as the new fines refer to a minimum fine of £100 or a percentage of your wage whichever is greater... Really worried as I financially couldn't afford to loose a weeks wages - feel like an idiot as I'm usually pretty good with limits.

https://www.saga.co.uk/magazine/motoring/cars/using/the-uks-new-speeding-fines-explained
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 9th Oct 17, 9:43 PM
    • 4,614 Posts
    • 4,041 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:43 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:43 PM
    That's what I thought and expected but it really gets confusing online, as the new fines refer to a minimum fine of £100 or a percentage of your wage whichever is greater... Really worried as I financially couldn't afford to loose a weeks wages - feel like an idiot as I'm usually pretty good with limits.

https://www.saga.co.uk/magazine/motoring/cars/using/the-uks-new-speeding-fines-explained
    Nothing has changed besides the level of fines which can be imposed when an offence is taken to court. You will not go to court for 41mph in a 30 limit unless you refuse a fixed penalty.
    • Marktheshark
    • By Marktheshark 9th Oct 17, 9:46 PM
    • 5,691 Posts
    • 7,160 Thanks
    Marktheshark
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:46 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:46 PM
    Has it arrived within 14 days of the alleged offence.
    Brexit will become whatever they invent it to be.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 9th Oct 17, 10:06 PM
    • 9,614 Posts
    • 10,776 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 9th Oct 17, 10:06 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 10:06 PM
    was expecting £100 and a speed awareness course.
    If you get offered and accept a course, there will be no fixed penalty to pay. All that you have to pay is the cost of the course which varies depending on where you take it and will be somewhere in the region of £80 to £120.
    • Aretnap
    • By Aretnap 9th Oct 17, 10:28 PM
    • 2,840 Posts
    • 2,338 Thanks
    Aretnap
    • 9th Oct 17, 10:28 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 10:28 PM

That article is.confusing and badly written, as you'd probably expect of an article which was knocked.out in 10 minutes and which exists solely to drive traffic to an insurer's website and so improve its search engine ranking.

The procedure is the same as it has always been - the vast majority of drivers accused of low.level speeding offences.are offered a speed awareness course or a.fixed penalty (£100 and 3 points, popularly known as a speeding ticket) as an alternative to.formal.prosecution in the criminal courts. You can expect an offer of a.speed awareness course at up to 42.in a 30 or a fixed penalty at up to 49 in a 30.(if in England or Wales).

If you didn't accept the offer for any reason, or.if you were a long way over the limit, then you would find yourself in front of the magistrates instead, and then and only then would the new magistrates sentencing guidelines come into play. Incidentally the new guidelines are not actually very different from the old ones.- 41-50 in a 30 has always been a band B fine (ie 100% of your weekly income)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

195Posts Today

1,577Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin