Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Luffy321
    • By Luffy321 9th Oct 17, 7:40 PM
    • 249Posts
    • 8Thanks
    Luffy321
    1070 gtx causing audio crackling sound.
    • 9th Oct 17, 7:40 PM
    1070 gtx causing audio crackling sound. 9th Oct 17 at 7:40 PM
    Sorry for posting a double thread but I was told to create a new thread. As previously mentioned in the old thread I installed a new 1070 gpu. It has caused the audio to start noticeably cracking I tried updating to the latest driver and the crackling got worst.

It seems like it is some sort of driver issue. Does anyone have any solutions? Thank you.
Page 1
    • economic
    • By economic 10th Oct 17, 8:46 AM
    • 2,119 Posts
    • 1,156 Thanks
    economic
    • 10th Oct 17, 8:46 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 8:46 AM
    Maybe it’s the audio card rather then the graphics? Have you tried updating the audio drivers?
    • Luffy321
    • By Luffy321 10th Oct 17, 11:53 AM
    • 249 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Luffy321
    • 10th Oct 17, 11:53 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 11:53 AM
    Hi, thanks for the reply. I have isolated the source of the sound distortion. It is both Nvidia Hd audio driver and Corsair link that are causing it. The longer I leave Corsair link open it increases cpu load and my computer start to get choppy. As soon as I close it and stop it running in the background everything goes back to normal.

I actually need corsair link to control the cooler so I dont know what to do about it.
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 10th Oct 17, 12:30 PM
    • 1,274 Posts
    • 2,686 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    • 10th Oct 17, 12:30 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 12:30 PM
    I'd use this to completely uninstall the old drivers if I was changing the graphics card
    http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
    You don't need the Nvidia HD audio drivers unless you are connecting via hdmi. (IIRC)
    Plenty about it on the net if you Google it.
    I disabled the Nvidia driver and then did a fresh install of the audio drivers.
    • Luffy321
    • By Luffy321 10th Oct 17, 12:38 PM
    • 249 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Luffy321
    • 10th Oct 17, 12:38 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 12:38 PM
    Thank you. I will try a the program and do a clean install of the graphic driver and corsair link, the problem with the nvdia hd audio drivers however, is windows automatically installs it when I uninstall it.
    • Luffy321
    • By Luffy321 10th Oct 17, 1:12 PM
    • 249 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Luffy321
    • 10th Oct 17, 1:12 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 1:12 PM
    I downloaded latencymon and it says my system is struggling with real time audio. Nvlddmkm.sys is the highest cause DPC as well as Corsair Link. Im going to use DDU as well as update my bios and and realtek driver audio.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 10th Oct 17, 1:14 PM
    • 1,746 Posts
    • 1,197 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 10th Oct 17, 1:14 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 1:14 PM
    I actually need corsair link to control the cooler so I dont know what to do about it.
    Originally posted by Luffy321
    Why do you need Corsair Link to control the cooler? My 1060GTX does all kinds of fantastic stuff including LED strobing, allowing you to control how many of its three fans run and at what speeds they come on but if I don't install the app then it defaults to a bog standard mapping in the graphics card BIOS for the fans and the LEDs just stay red. It works just fine.
    • Luffy321
    • By Luffy321 10th Oct 17, 1:46 PM
    • 249 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Luffy321
    • 10th Oct 17, 1:46 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 1:46 PM
    Why do you need Corsair Link to control the cooler? My 1060GTX does all kinds of fantastic stuff including LED strobing, allowing you to control how many of its three fans run and at what speeds they come on but if I don't install the app then it defaults to a bog standard mapping in the graphics card BIOS for the fans and the LEDs just stay red. It works just fine.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    Are you talking about the gpu cooler? I need corsair link for the h110i cpu cooler I have installed.
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 10th Oct 17, 2:15 PM
    • 1,274 Posts
    • 2,686 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    • 10th Oct 17, 2:15 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 2:15 PM
    Thank you. I will try a the program and do a clean install of the graphic driver and corsair link, the problem with the nvdia hd audio drivers however, is windows automatically installs it when I uninstall it.
    Originally posted by Luffy321
    Yes, you can't not install it, and if you disable it, it seems to get enabled again.
    I've been trying to remember what I did. I think what did the trick after uninstalling the graphics driver, and doing a "clean" install, was then installing the actual dedicated sound driver after. Realtek in my case.
    If you have stuff overclocked I'd undo that while problem finding as well.
    • Luffy321
    • By Luffy321 10th Oct 17, 3:17 PM
    • 249 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Luffy321
    Okay it has been a long hour. Uninstalled corsair link and GPU driver using DDU. Updated BIOS and got the black screen of death. Somehow managed to restart it and update BIOS. This in itself feels like a miracle. Updated realteek audio drivers. Reinstalled gpu drivers and I'm still getting high latency specifically from storport.sys (Microsoft Storage Port Driver) and nvlddmkm.sys (Nvidia Windows Kernel Mode Driver).

Can anyone help me?
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 10th Oct 17, 8:24 PM
    • 26,214 Posts
    • 10,469 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    You do not need corsair link software running. Most users connect the Rad fans to the MB headers and let the MB control the fan speed.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Luffy321
    • By Luffy321 10th Oct 17, 8:38 PM
    • 249 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Luffy321
    You do not need corsair link software running. Most users connect the Rad fans to the MB headers and let the MB control the fan speed.
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    Thanks for the reply but whether I use Corsair Link or not is the least of my problem at the moment.

Nvidia 1070 gpu driver, Direct X and Microsoft Storage Port are causing excessive latency. The higher my cpu load, the more latency increases making my computer slow and audio choppy.

I uninstalled Corsair Link because in combination with three aforementioned drivers my computer became unusable.

Even without it I still have a high amount of latency and the X factor seems to be the gpu driver conflicting with other drivers and making certain programs unusable.

Really unsure what to do.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 11th Oct 17, 1:32 AM
    • 7,775 Posts
    • 5,578 Thanks
    esuhl
    Most of this is a little over my head, but I've just bought a GTX 770 card on eBay, and have had terrible problems trying to get the drivers working. A clean installation of the latest drivers causes crashes and display glitches on the Windows login screen.

Quite a different problem, but I found that I had to use an nVidia driver from several months ago to resolve the issue.

Have you tried a much older driver (from say, around May 2017)?
    • Luffy321
    • By Luffy321 11th Oct 17, 9:11 AM
    • 249 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Luffy321
    Have you tried a much older driver (from say, around May 2017)?
    Originally posted by esuhl
    Thanks for the reply. When Installed the gpu I ran the driver installation from disc meaning I was using the oldest possible drivers available for the 1070. When I first noticed the latency issue is when I used the advice here to use ddu and update to the latest driver and I still have this latency issue.

Something about the way the new gpu driver is communicating with direct x and other drivers is what is causing the latency. I wonder if it is because I dont have DX 12?
    • Luffy321
    • By Luffy321 11th Oct 17, 2:41 PM
    • 249 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Luffy321
    Ok an update for anyone still following this thread.

So before I made this thread I made a a thread about my new 1070 being slow and then I made this thread because I realised that I was also getting massive latency issues.

After investigation, it is definitely the nvidia driver causing latency issues. Hopefully, I think I have managed to resolve it by updating my BIOS intel chipset and USB 3.0 drivers. Also I uninstalled Nvdia Geforce experience and Nvidia HD drivers. I also updated my realtek drivers but reverted back after losing sound on some websites.

After all the updating I ran latencymon. The previous storport.sys process I mentioned which is also causing latency is a resource used by latencymon itself meaning the results can be quite deceptive. Regardless, I opened up steam and ran tomb raider 2015. The only reason I'm using this game is because it is the only game in my steam library that has a benchmark. While running the benchmark, the nvidia and direct kernel remain in green but I'm still getting massive latency spikes. My guess is because I'm running latencymon in the background which also adds to latency.

Surprisingly, audio is fine and my 1070 was actually running faster than before. In the last thread I reported it was getting 55 fps avg in the benchmark, now I'm getting 63 fps and I'm sure it would be faster if I wasnt running all these diagnostics tools in the background. I have been running the benchmark for an hour now and the direct x and nvidia processes still remain in the green.

I cant tell what will happen after extended game time. Latency might creep up to the point where my audio and computer gets choppy and slow again but only time will tell.

In conclusion, if anyone stumbles on this thread in the future my advice is download latencymon (be aware that it also contributes to latency issues). Find out which processes are causing the spikes using the program. Then it is a matter of isolating it, updating BIOS/CHIPSET/USB drivers and also doing a clean install of your OS.

I should definitely reinstall Win 7 because I can tell I have some broken drivers in the background that are adding to the problem but for now I cant be bothered and hopefully I wont have to in the future.

Thanks everybody for the help.
    Last edited by Luffy321; 11-10-2017 at 2:45 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,982Posts Today

7,676Users online

Martin's Twitter