Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Kelvin
    • By MSE Kelvin 9th Oct 17, 7:30 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 5Thanks
    MSE Kelvin
    Have you freed up space on your phone?
    • 9th Oct 17, 7:30 PM
    Have you freed up space on your phone? 9th Oct 17 at 7:30 PM
    Hello forumites,

MSE Kelvin here doing some research for a new guide we're doing on freeing up memory on your mobile phone without spending any money, ie, upgrading to a phone with more capacity or paying for online storage.

Have you managed to save GBs by uploading your photos and videos to a free online platform, clearing your app caches or doing something else that few people know how to do? If so we'd love to hear from you.

All we need to know is roughly how much memory you freed up and what you did to free it up. Anyone whose replies we use will of course get a shout out in the guide!

Thanks in advance for your help,

MSE Kelvin

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 2
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 11th Oct 17, 10:46 AM
    • 2,214 Posts
    • 1,943 Thanks
    giraffe69
    Back up to Google an use ccleaner for me.
    • MDonovan
    • By MDonovan 11th Oct 17, 10:49 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    MDonovan
    Please be careful - Memory vs Storage Space
    Hello - Let's be clear, this is about freeing up Storage space - not Memory. The title in the main newsletter and article are ambiguous, or simply not correct - the body of the article and the byline DO say Storage but the title is misleading...
    • lesleymarr
    • By lesleymarr 11th Oct 17, 12:46 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    lesleymarr
    I took all old photos and Whapsapp chats off my doogeephone and it made no difference!
    I see I have Xender. do i need this for Whatsapp or Olio?
    The doogee is an android but i can't see how to tell if an app was ever used. Martin's instructions don't work, because the layout is different.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 11th Oct 17, 1:50 PM
    • 7,711 Posts
    • 5,572 Thanks
    pmduk
    The most important thing for your article to stress is that people should back up their data, whether it be phone numbers or photos. When I worked for a mobile network is was easy to lose count of the number of people who thought they had lost irreplaceable photos. It was so heart-warming on those occasions we could show them how to connect to their cloud storage and regain those memories. On the contrary there were some very difficult calls when people had lost stuff forever
    Last edited by pmduk; 11-10-2017 at 1:56 PM.
    • Jabba_flabba
    • By Jabba_flabba 11th Oct 17, 7:41 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    Jabba_flabba
    The tip about seeing which Android apps were last used ain't right - the three-line options icon allows you to sort by "Last updated" which is obviously different to "Last used"". Perhaps this varies on other versions of Android (mine's still 5.0.2) but I doubt it.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 11th Oct 17, 11:15 PM
    • 7,773 Posts
    • 5,578 Thanks
    esuhl
    Thanks for getting involved, Colin_Maybe.

Have you uninstalled/frozen bloatware on your own phone? How much space did you manage to save?
    Originally posted by MSE Kelvin
    Hope you don't mind me butting in!

I mentioned Apps2SD above, which also allows you to uninstall bloatware. You can even move/uninstall system apps (although I wouldn't recommend it).

When you move apps to the SD card using the built-in Android feature, only part of the app is moved (data files, rather than the app itself). This frees up some space, but you can still easily run out of room (especially on older phones). Apps2SD can move EVERY part of the app to the SD card.

In short, there's nothing more powerful than Apps2SD if you want to free up space on an Android phone. It requires root access, but the ad-supported version is free!

As well as uninstalling bloatware from stock Android firmware, I've uninstalled lots of things I'll never use, such as:

Email, Bluetooth Share, Music, Exchange Services, Calendar, the Wallpaper Picker, default Browser, cLock (lockscreen messages), Work profile setup, Calendar Storage, CM Audio Service, Weather Service, Weather Provider, Android Easter Egg, Photo Screensavers, Picos TTS, the Wallpaper Cropper, Print Service Recommendation Service, Basic Daydreams, Bluetooth MIDI service, Wallpaper Backup, etc.

It's not the most intuitive software to use, and I can imagine it being a bit confusing if you're not technically minded.

Just thought I'd elaborate a little for anyone who's interested.
    • threeshoes
    • By threeshoes 12th Oct 17, 10:20 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    threeshoes
    Restore your iPhone or iPad to recover storage
    Every 6 months or so I connect my iPhone or iPad to my iMac and back it up. Then I click on Restore and go through the whole reset process. This recovered me a good 10-15Gb on my 64 Gb devices, but it takes about 2 hours each.
    • minimax3
    • By minimax3 21st Oct 17, 4:43 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    minimax3
    How to increase phone storage
    Hi
    My wife has a Sony Experia E4 which seems to have many embedded apps. I have got rid of all that can be removed but I am left with the rest the majority of which she does not want.
    I see that I can disable some but wish to be sure that I am not causing more trouble because when I tried one I got the message that the world would end if I did so.
    Am I safe to disable the unneeded apps? Can anyone help!
    Regards
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

268Posts Today

1,536Users online

Martin's Twitter