Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Murmansk
    • By Murmansk 9th Oct 17, 7:21 PM
    • 51Posts
    • 14Thanks
    Murmansk
    Bed and ISA
    • 9th Oct 17, 7:21 PM
    Bed and ISA 9th Oct 17 at 7:21 PM
    I've got some money in Vanguard LifeStrategy and in April I'll want put another £20K of what's already in there in my ISA account with Vanguard.

Will they be able to do that for me or will I have to sell £20K worth of my fund then put it back again via my ISA account?

As an aside, and related to my other thread re Vanguard from a day or two ago, my holding seems to have gone up in value by £1,400 in the last month or so - presumably I need to do my selling to increase my ISA at a time when it's "up" rather than down? But then again, if I were to be upping my ISA with FRESH MONEY it'd be good to do it when the value is "down"?
Page 1
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 9th Oct 17, 7:46 PM
    • 765 Posts
    • 473 Thanks
    Alexland
    • 9th Oct 17, 7:46 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 7:46 PM
    The funds will need selling to cash (and any capital gains possibility considered) as under HMRC rules only cash can be contributed into an ISA wrapper. If you are selling and buying it doesn't really matter when you do it the risk or opportunity of being out the market is about the same. They might be able to move the cash between accounts if you ask them to save cycling it through your bank.

People say don't time the market but I find it makes me feel better doing transfers when the market is high and buying units when valuations are lower than previously.
    Last edited by Alexland; 09-10-2017 at 7:51 PM.
    • Eco Miser
    • By Eco Miser 10th Oct 17, 5:28 PM
    • 3,226 Posts
    • 2,989 Thanks
    Eco Miser
    • 10th Oct 17, 5:28 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 5:28 PM
    You have to sell and rebuy. If both the unwrapped funds and your ISA are with the same platform, they may be willing to take both transactions as a single instruction with effectively no time out of the market, and possibly at reduced cost.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
    • chockydavid1983
    • By chockydavid1983 24th Nov 17, 3:18 PM
    • 483 Posts
    • 290 Thanks
    chockydavid1983
    • 24th Nov 17, 3:18 PM
    • 24th Nov 17, 3:18 PM
    Are there any platforms that are known to do this as a single transaction? Also, any problems with any particular platform doing this in general? I'll probably be in a position next tax year where I'll have extra cash to invest above the ISA limit.
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 24th Nov 17, 4:19 PM
    • 681 Posts
    • 407 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 24th Nov 17, 4:19 PM
    • 24th Nov 17, 4:19 PM
    Are there any platforms that are known to do this as a single transaction? Also, any problems with any particular platform doing this in general? I'll probably be in a position next tax year where I'll have extra cash to invest above the ISA limit.
    Originally posted by chockydavid1983
    I have done that with the Halifax but you have to do it over the phone. At the time they only charged one dealing fee not two.
    • Imnoexpert
    • By Imnoexpert 25th Nov 17, 1:02 AM
    • 290 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    Imnoexpert
    • 25th Nov 17, 1:02 AM
    • 25th Nov 17, 1:02 AM
    Interactive investor donít.

But no surprise there.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,995Posts Today

4,676Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin