Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AWPTheo
    • By AWPTheo 9th Oct 17, 6:43 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 5Thanks
    AWPTheo
    Severe Disability Premium Help Please!
    • 9th Oct 17, 6:43 PM
    Severe Disability Premium Help Please! 9th Oct 17 at 6:43 PM
    Hiya, asked this in a Facebook community and was directed here, very informative so far, thank you for having me

Basically I've been in the Support Group of ESA since 2012. I have been in receipt of PIP on the standard daily living rate since 2013. This was reviewed as recently as 2 months ago and it has been confirmed I am in receipt of all the right things.

However, it was flagged up that I should potentially be in receipt of Severe Disability Premium. I checked everything it says in the letter and I fit all the stated criteria (live alone, nobody has ever claimed carers allowance for me). I returned this letter 2 weeks ago. I spoke to them today, and the lady on the phone mentioned it may be backdated.

I have two questions. The first, is do I even qualify for this premium if I only get the standard daily living rate of PIP? My second question, is if I do qualify, should I be chasing them to backdate, as my medical conditions and living conditions have not changed since 2013? I would Google it but the info on the gov website relates to those getting DLA and not PIP.

I really don't want to seem "grabby" or anything, I'm very grateful for what I do receive, but I have been studying part time to try and get into uni and a bit of extra money would go a long way in helping me next year.

Any info you could give me I'd really appreciate, thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 9th Oct 17, 6:52 PM
    • 1,758 Posts
    • 1,587 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 9th Oct 17, 6:52 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 6:52 PM
    Yes it sounds like you qualify and yes it would be backdated to when you became eligible as it's awarded with any rate of Daily Living PIP. No need to chase them either as it should automatically be backdated.
    Last edited by poppy12345; 09-10-2017 at 7:04 PM.
    • epitome
    • By epitome 9th Oct 17, 9:38 PM
    • 3,022 Posts
    • 1,836 Thanks
    epitome
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:38 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:38 PM
    Before PIP.......did you get DLA Care at middle or higher rate?

You have not changed address since your PIP was awarded?

You single or Couple?

Your current ESA SG is it £109.60, £125.55 or £174.00ish ?

How much was your ESA SG back in 2012 ? £105ish or £123ish
    Last edited by epitome; 10-10-2017 at 8:20 PM.
    • nannytone
    • By nannytone 10th Oct 17, 3:45 PM
    • 12,228 Posts
    • 18,161 Thanks
    nannytone
    • 10th Oct 17, 3:45 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 3:45 PM
    do you have savings or a pension of any kind ( any other income really) ?

if not then the SDP would be automatically backdated from the time you met the criteria, whether it was PIP or DLA is irrelevant.

the date that your ESA started ( with all conditions met) would be the applicable sate
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,533Posts Today

8,200Users online

Martin's Twitter