Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • marina12
    • By marina12 9th Oct 17, 6:05 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    marina12
    First time buyer!
    • 9th Oct 17, 6:05 PM
    First time buyer! 9th Oct 17 at 6:05 PM
    Hello everyone,

I'm a first time buyer and I'm looking at a property for £350k. I need a mortgage of £150k, but my base salary is £25k which can get me a mortgage of £112k. I earn commission each month which increases my salary to roughly £37k a year, and my dad is willing to guarantee the mortgage - does anyone know of any mortgage providers that would consider my case?

Thanks
    Marina
Page 1
    • ACG
    • By ACG 9th Oct 17, 6:08 PM
    • 15,502 Posts
    • 7,853 Thanks
    ACG
    • 9th Oct 17, 6:08 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 6:08 PM
    Have you spoken with a broker?
    Commission is a funny one as lenders view it differently, some will work off a P60, others the last 3-6 months payslips etc. On the face of it, it can be done, but it does come down to the finer details.

I would knock the guarantor idea on the head, the rules around guarantors are a bit of a nightmare.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • Fiesto88
    • By Fiesto88 9th Oct 17, 6:41 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    Fiesto88
    • 9th Oct 17, 6:41 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 6:41 PM
    Definitely need a broker to navigate this one for you. And it would be wise to gather together as much proof of commission as you can.
    • YHM
    • By YHM 9th Oct 17, 7:40 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    YHM
    • 9th Oct 17, 7:40 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 7:40 PM
    Definitely need the guidance of a good mortgage broker here. They will understand which lenders to look at.

Could also consider using a 'sponsor' to top up your income with some lenders.

Find a good broker
    I am a Mortgage Broker.

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice
    • stu2500
    • By stu2500 10th Oct 17, 9:25 AM
    • 121 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    stu2500
    • 10th Oct 17, 9:25 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 9:25 AM
    Natwest are a good option for commission. As long as it shows on your last 6x payslips, they will take it into consideration (as an average over the last 6x months). I would advise using a broker though.
  • LandCmortgages
    • 10th Oct 17, 10:20 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 10:20 AM
    Hello Marina, we thought that you might find our article 'buying a home with your salary plus bonuses' helpful: https://www.landc.co.uk/insight/2017/04/basic-salary-plus-bonus/
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of L&C Mortgages . MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

449Posts Today

4,725Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @WhiskyOneIce: @MartinSLewis Changed my fuel from Britush Gas to Sainsburies yesterday via MSE site and saved £230 odd PA...Thanks ????????

• RT @rbp77: @MartinSLewis Interesting that Facebook facial recognition tech can't be put to use in recognising misuse of people's image in i?

• And yesterday Facebook put a quote out saying all the SCAM adverts with me in had been dealt with. Balderdash!? https://t.co/OrvsWKIJfJ

• Follow Martin