Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 9th Oct 17, 5:04 PM
    • 1,701Posts
    • 3,035Thanks
    SamsReturn
    If you have a Dining room, do you eat in it ?
    • 9th Oct 17, 5:04 PM
    If you have a Dining room, do you eat in it ? 9th Oct 17 at 5:04 PM
    Mary Berry rejoices in demise of the dining room as she reveals she only eats in her kitchen

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10/08/mary-berry-rejoices-demise-dining-room-reveals-eats-kitchen/

I always eat at the table even though i'm here by myself, but i've a big kitchen / diner. I think if i ever move house again i'd prefer domething similar, rather than a seperate room that i never used.
    Do you have a dining room, what do you use it for ?
Page 2
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 10th Oct 17, 1:33 PM
    • 23,163 Posts
    • 60,008 Thanks
    pollypenny
    My OH won't even eat a quick sandwich on the sofa. It's either the dining table or the old kitchen table, now in the conservatory.

He thinks I'm a slob for having my dinner on my lap ever Saturday while watching Strictly.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 10th Oct 17, 2:41 PM
    • 13,674 Posts
    • 26,021 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Our ground floor is open plan, but there is a designated dining area which is separated from the kitchen by two archways. I always prefer to eat at the table rather than hunched over a lap-tray.
    • tommix
    • By tommix 10th Oct 17, 3:23 PM
    • 35,937 Posts
    • 143,563 Thanks
    tommix
    Yes I have a very oppulent dining room which overlooks the Thames at Chelsea Bridge..Above the Dining Table is a 'Lalique' chandelier which I purchased for £20,000..Upon the dining table there sits a golden candelabra lovingly engraved with my initials..I have french polishers who come once a week to maintain the pristine condition of the table.

The Dining room itself is decorated in the french rustic style with stone floors and exposed brickwork.

I have a rather lovely 'Picasso' hanging above the Adams fireplace which I'm reliably informed is a masterpiece entitled 'Women of Algiers'..I'm not really an art lover but I sent my servant over to Sotheby's a few years ago to purchase a nice picture to hang on the wall and he came back with this one..I must say I find it rather fetching..
    Last edited by tommix; 10-10-2017 at 3:27 PM.
    • tommix
    • By tommix 10th Oct 17, 3:31 PM
    • 35,937 Posts
    • 143,563 Thanks
    tommix
    I forgot to add that yes I do eat in it...
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 10th Oct 17, 4:16 PM
    • 12,778 Posts
    • 12,529 Thanks
    Chris25

The Dining room itself is decorated in the french rustic style with stone floors and exposed brickwork.

I have a rather lovely 'Picasso' hanging above the Adams fireplace which I'm reliably informed is a masterpiece entitled 'Women of Algiers'..I'm not really an art lover but I sent my servant over to Sotheby's a few years ago to purchase a nice picture to hang on the wall and he came back with this one..I must say I find it rather fetching..
    Originally posted by tommix
    Dahlink, you need to fire the interior designer - French rustic style with an Adams fireplace??

Quelle horreur! What were you thinking? so last season!
    • tommix
    • By tommix 10th Oct 17, 4:50 PM
    • 35,937 Posts
    • 143,563 Thanks
    tommix
    Dahlink, you need to fire the interior designer - French rustic style with an Adams fireplace??

Quelle horreur! What were you thinking? so last season!
    Originally posted by Chris25
    Ah d'accord..Les miserables.. Unfortunately the fireplace came with the house..
    • SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 10th Oct 17, 9:57 PM
    • 1,701 Posts
    • 3,035 Thanks
    SamsReturn
    Yes I have a very oppulent dining room which overlooks the Thames at Chelsea Bridge..Above the Dining Table is a 'Lalique' chandelier which I purchased for £20,000..Upon the dining table there sits a golden candelabra lovingly engraved with my initials..I have french polishers who come once a week to maintain the pristine condition of the table.

I had to read that twice.
    I thought Patel had come back.
    • sillyvixen
    • By sillyvixen 10th Oct 17, 10:18 PM
    • 3,029 Posts
    • 4,629 Thanks
    sillyvixen
    We use the dining room when we have visitors or at Christmas - usually the dining table is used for the ironing pile and other assorted stuff!!
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
    • mattytun
    • By mattytun 12th Oct 17, 6:21 PM
    • 13,455 Posts
    • 231,844 Thanks
    mattytun
    Just use mine at Christmas or when have guests mostly eat in kitchen.
    Can't sleep, quit counting sheep and talk directly to the shepherd
    • bunk bed
    • By bunk bed 12th Oct 17, 7:11 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    bunk bed
    Above the Dining Table is a 'Lalique' chandelier which I purchased for £20,000..
    Do you swing from it?

I don't have a dining room but I always sit at the table when I'm eating. I can't stand eating off a tray on my lap, it doesn't feel like I've had a proper meal. I guess it depends on how you were brought up. We always ate proper meals in the dining room, not least because mum didn't want us to spill food and drink on her nice sofa.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 12th Oct 17, 7:28 PM
    • 1,937 Posts
    • 2,455 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    We have a dining room and a kitchen diner. We use the dining room when we have guests, but eat in the kitchen when there's just the two of us.
    • Quizzical Squirrel
    • By Quizzical Squirrel 12th Oct 17, 7:35 PM
    • 171 Posts
    • 4,192 Thanks
    Quizzical Squirrel
    We only use the dining room when:

1) we need extra space (our kitchen table only seats 4, 5 at a push) or

2) I'm trying to create an atmosphere. You can really go to town setting the scene in a separate dedicated room whereas the kitchen lends itself more towards casual and simple.
    • horleyflyer
    • By horleyflyer 12th Oct 17, 9:21 PM
    • 2,449 Posts
    • 5,255 Thanks
    horleyflyer
    We knocked our dining room and kitchen into one.
    We have a table and benches in the kitchen but only really get used when we have children or friends over
    Girls do it better....
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 14th Oct 17, 12:33 PM
    • 7,936 Posts
    • 8,058 Thanks
    pogofish
    Do you really think a person of any quality would simply eat in their dining room...?

Mine would only be used to its full effect if the Queen or some other senior Royal dropped-by!
    • sillyvixen
    • By sillyvixen 14th Oct 17, 9:51 PM
    • 3,029 Posts
    • 4,629 Thanks
    sillyvixen
    Yesterday I had a decluttering and found my dinning table under a load of dry washing and other assorted stuff!! Could have eaten my lunch on it but did not. Will have to soon (novelty value) before it gets lost again! Only a matter of time!
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
    • Gnocchi
    • By Gnocchi 15th Oct 17, 8:21 PM
    • 827 Posts
    • 1,112 Thanks
    Gnocchi
    When we moved in there was one, but we eat in the kitchen and turned it into a library to house all my books.
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 15th Oct 17, 8:43 PM
    • 10,006 Posts
    • 15,855 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    We have one, complete with old-fashioned hatch through to the kitchen. However it is never eaten in as it is home to two sofas, one of them a sofa bed, and a TV, so it is our second living room (rarely used) and guest bedroom. It's a dormer bungalow with two tiny bedrooms upstairs plus a larger one. The tiny ones are impractical for guests - one of them is full of clutter and the other doesn't even have a bed (just more clutter ).

The lounge is long with a seating area at one end and a dining table at the other, so if we have visitors we eat there. When we're on our own OH eats off a tray on his lap, and I sit at my computer desk trying not to get gravy splashes on my MacBook .
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

959Posts Today

5,754Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin