Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 9th Oct 17, 5:04 PM
    • 1,701Posts
    • 3,032Thanks
    SamsReturn
    If you have a Dining room, do you eat in it ?
    • 9th Oct 17, 5:04 PM
    If you have a Dining room, do you eat in it ? 9th Oct 17 at 5:04 PM
    Mary Berry rejoices in demise of the dining room as she reveals she only eats in her kitchen

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10/08/mary-berry-rejoices-demise-dining-room-reveals-eats-kitchen/

I always eat at the table even though i'm here by myself, but i've a big kitchen / diner. I think if i ever move house again i'd prefer domething similar, rather than a seperate room that i never used.
    Do you have a dining room, what do you use it for ?
Page 1
    • Apoorwoman
    • By Apoorwoman 9th Oct 17, 5:25 PM
    • 189 Posts
    • 400 Thanks
    Apoorwoman
    • 9th Oct 17, 5:25 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 5:25 PM
    We have a redundant dining room, it is in the west wing! Too far from the kitchen to guarantee the delivery of hot food. I periodically visit it with a feather duster and fight my way through the cobwebs.

We have a large kitchen/diner with a sofa and wood burning stove, which is the hub of the house
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 9th Oct 17, 5:32 PM
    • 31,171 Posts
    • 114,901 Thanks
    Pyxis
    • 9th Oct 17, 5:32 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 5:32 PM
    Yes. And yes.

However, my kitchen is too small to eat in, so I have to eat in the dining room!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 9th Oct 17, 5:38 PM
    • 23,160 Posts
    • 60,003 Thanks
    pollypenny
    • 9th Oct 17, 5:38 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 5:38 PM
    We used to eat in the kitchen, but we've replaced sliding door cupboards with a big fridge freezer and cupboards with opening out doors, do no room there now.

Last winter we ate in the dining room and will be back there soon. Eating the the conservatory at the moment. Getting a bit cool for me now, though.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • tizerbelle
    • By tizerbelle 9th Oct 17, 6:06 PM
    • 1,465 Posts
    • 3,133 Thanks
    tizerbelle
    • 9th Oct 17, 6:06 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 6:06 PM
    Sort of! Its a terraced house so the back room was the dining room but lifestyle changes have meant that its now used as a second lounge with couch, armchair and tv, We do still have a drop leaf dining table but its against one wall and only used for meals about 3 times a year. The rest of the time we eat in the "dining" room but while sat on couch.
    • flissh
    • By flissh 9th Oct 17, 7:41 PM
    • 657 Posts
    • 1,374 Thanks
    flissh
    • 9th Oct 17, 7:41 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 7:41 PM
    Hardly ever eat in the dining room, only if its a big gathering of friends or family. Much prefer just to eat in the kitchen.
    • lush walrus
    • By lush walrus 9th Oct 17, 7:44 PM
    • 1,929 Posts
    • 1,602 Thanks
    lush walrus
    • 9th Oct 17, 7:44 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 7:44 PM
    Yep we eat our evening meal in the dining room, breakfast we eat in the kitchen.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 9th Oct 17, 9:53 PM
    • 15,467 Posts
    • 63,890 Thanks
    Judi
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:53 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:53 PM
    No and we wouldnt if we did.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • elsien
    • By elsien 9th Oct 17, 9:57 PM
    • 15,442 Posts
    • 38,780 Thanks
    elsien
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:57 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:57 PM
    Only when people come round. I have a very small galley kitchen so eating in there isn't an option, and it's a terrace house like tizerbelle so it's a walk through room anyway.
    The rest of the time it's my working from home area/place to dump the shopping and ironing/ where the dog sleeps.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Loanranger
    • By Loanranger 9th Oct 17, 9:58 PM
    • 2,004 Posts
    • 5,208 Thanks
    Loanranger
    Yes and yes, twice a day every day.
    We have a breakfast bar in kitchen which in estate agent speak makes it an eat in kitchen. But I prefer to eat out of sight of the detritus of meal preparation.
    I guess if you only reheat a ready meal or eat pizza delivered by a bloke on a bike then a bar stool is enough.
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 9th Oct 17, 10:04 PM
    • 4,731 Posts
    • 7,516 Thanks
    Gavin83
    We don't have a dining room, our dining table is in the kitchen. Probably eat at it twice a week or if we have guests, otherwise we eat off trays on the sofa.
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 10th Oct 17, 6:06 AM
    • 3,305 Posts
    • 6,809 Thanks
    Murphybear
    We have a dining room but only eat there occasionally. We have 4 chairs with cushions and the cat has taken a great liking to them. She rotates her use of them which means 4 lots of fur to remove.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 10th Oct 17, 7:52 AM
    • 4,920 Posts
    • 16,366 Thanks
    indesisiv
    I don't have a dining room, but I do have a table in the kitchen which I sit at to eat. I hate the whole eating on the sofa in front of the TV thing!
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 10th Oct 17, 8:00 AM
    • 1,817 Posts
    • 9,104 Thanks
    kathrynha
    We have a dining room and use the table once a week. Kitchen is too small to eat in. Rest of the time we eat in the lounge. We generally all eat at different times, so can often be eating alone.
    Weight loss start date: 3rd January 2017
    Weight loss total: 56 lb
    Last updated: 11th December 2017
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 10th Oct 17, 8:26 AM
    • 4,829 Posts
    • 6,472 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    Tend to only use our Dining Room for once a month or so Tribal gatherings. But having had 20 house moves in 41 years we keep a very tidy ship, and the Dining Room is ready at a moments notice.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 10th Oct 17, 8:41 AM
    • 13,264 Posts
    • 17,483 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    We have one and it gets used for dinners mostly. It's covered in one of my wife's partially completed billion piece jigsaws at the moment though, so we are slumming it in the kitchen. I think she has done it on purpose as the kitchen table is easier to clean up after me.

Neither of us are fans of eating of our laps unless there is no alternative.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 10th Oct 17, 10:28 AM
    • 23,998 Posts
    • 50,764 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    We have a dining room and eat at the table when there are more than two people for a meal. When our sons were at home that was every night. Now it is mainly during university vacs.

If there are only two people (or one) we eat at the 'breakfast bar' in the kitchen.
    • joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 10th Oct 17, 10:36 AM
    • 13,015 Posts
    • 49,459 Thanks
    joansgirl
    We did used to have a separate dining room but had it knocked through into the kitchen. There is a quite nice pine table in there now, but it's usually covered in my latest "project"

When the kitchen was re-done a few years back I had a small extension put on one of the worktops which serves as a breakfast bar so I eat there. Can't eat off a tray/my lap in the living room unless I want to share with the dawg
    Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...

Finito
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 10th Oct 17, 10:38 AM
    • 9,358 Posts
    • 118,615 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Yes I have a dining room use it about 4 times a year, prefer to eat in kitchen at kitchen tables and chairs
    Sun, Sea
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 10th Oct 17, 11:28 AM
    • 7,415 Posts
    • 13,617 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    My parents have a lounge/diner and use the dining table everyday.

In their previous house - which was bigger, they had a dining kitchen and a separate dining room. The dining table was in there. They used most Sundays, holidays and when we had guests over.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

495Posts Today

3,675Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin