Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hurleyrich
    • By hurleyrich 9th Oct 17, 5:00 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    hurleyrich
    New Homeowner Credit Card Application
    • 9th Oct 17, 5:00 PM
    New Homeowner Credit Card Application 9th Oct 17 at 5:00 PM
    Hi all,

I have recently just bought a flat with my partner and we were looking to apply for a 0% Credit Card to put our joint monthly bills and purchases on it (shopping, holidays, etc.).

I went onto the MSE credit card eligibility check (through the MSE Credit Club) and can only get a 50% chance of getting a good 0% credit card.

When I changed my details back, to being in rented accommodation though, I had a 100% chance of getting a number of good 0% credit cards.

Can anyone explain why, now that I'm a homeowner, I have significantly less chance of getting a 0% purchase credit card?

Thanks!
Page 1
    • ForeverAwake
    • By ForeverAwake 9th Oct 17, 5:18 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    ForeverAwake
    • 9th Oct 17, 5:18 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 5:18 PM
    You've just took on your biggest financial commitment, I would imagine most lenders would like to see how you're going to manage it

After 6-12 months of on time payments, it will start going in your favour, and the mortgage repayments will help strengthen your financial history, so you'd be in a better position for the 0% cards after some time
    • ndf9876
    • By ndf9876 9th Oct 17, 5:20 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    ndf9876
    • 9th Oct 17, 5:20 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 5:20 PM
    Hi there,

I did the same thing recently and although I'm no expert, I would suggest it is to do with your presence on the electoral roll.

As soon as the purchase of our property completed and I had the keys in my hands, I applied for a 0% BT card and my partner for a 0% purchase card. I used the details of my old rented property because I was still technically living there (there was about a week overlap of me moving out of rented and into our house). We had no problems in being accepted for the deals we applied for.

How long ago did you move? Once you are on the electoral roll, I would suspect your chances may well increase.
    • venison
    • By venison 9th Oct 17, 9:23 PM
    • 1,220 Posts
    • 1,303 Thanks
    venison
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:23 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:23 PM
    OP are you on the electoral register at your new address yet? Also agree that having taken on a mortgage you need to give yourself 6 months at least before trying to get a decent CC deal.
    Doomed I say we're all doomed.
    • hurleyrich
    • By hurleyrich 9th Oct 17, 9:42 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    hurleyrich
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:42 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:42 PM
    Thanks everyone for your help.

I think we’re on the electoral register now but I guess waiting for a bit until we’ve made some mortgage payments would probably help too!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

12Posts Today

4,285Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin