Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Anonymousxox
    • By Anonymousxox 9th Oct 17, 4:35 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Anonymousxox
    Help with my personal career issues
    • 9th Oct 17, 4:35 PM
    Help with my personal career issues 9th Oct 17 at 4:35 PM
    I hope someone can give me advice or an opinion on my situation.

Late last year I was made redundant from a job I loved and I had been there for a few years. I was made redundant unexpectedly just before Christmas and there was a lot of us needing a new job, all fighting for the same work. Luckily I was offered a position, same type of work but a lot less money. I believe companies did take advantage of our situation which I understand why they could. I was at this company for 6 months and signs of the companies struggles where apparent, I knew I couldn't stay somewhere were the future was uncertain and there was zero chances any progression.

As I wanted a job quick I hastily applied for jobs without looking to much into them. I was offered a job, quick start, good money but quite a long commute from home. I knew I had to go for it and so i did. The company seemed great but I quickly realised that It wasn't for me. I had no work to do, i constantly asked for things to do and the answer i got was, 'go sit on your phone, your getting paid for it arnt you. Some people may be different but I could never sit somewhere for nine hours a day looking at my phone and be paid. The company was making a lot of money and obviously weren't fussed that I wasn't always needed but would happily pay me for being sat there on standby.

The travelling, the fact I had a car crash on the way to work one day and the long boring days got too much so I quit after a couple of weeks with no back up plan. I was sick of being in and out of jobs, i wanted to find my forever job or at least somewhere I could be for a few years at least.

After weeks of applying, i was offered a job that seemed amazing. Full training paid for to become a manager. I took the job and in the couple of weeks I've been there it's definitely not what I was 'sold'. I'm at a point again where I don't want to stay.

This brings me to my question..

I've had phone calls from people from my previous job searches, one asked me today why I've had two jobs in less than a year (three now) she said her client was concerned.

Is it wrong what I have done? Can i be blamed for my current employment bad luck? Am I now tarnished for trying to find a career? If i leave my now current job, it would be three short lived jobs in less than a year. Do I have to tell everyone about my job history no matter how short? I always have been honest but now I'm worried it may not help.

I know it's long and rambling but I don't know who to ask.

Thank you
Page 1
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 9th Oct 17, 4:44 PM
    • 1,315 Posts
    • 1,066 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 9th Oct 17, 4:44 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 4:44 PM
    I'd just be honest, made redundant, bills to pay so applied for all suitable roles, but unfortunately for various reasons they haven't worked out.
    • Anonymousxox
    • By Anonymousxox 9th Oct 17, 4:58 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Anonymousxox
    • 9th Oct 17, 4:58 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 4:58 PM
    Thank you for your reply. It's hard, I've never thought of it as anything more than my own problems but now I've been questioned on it and then having to justify my reasons makes me worry. I'm only in my early twenties so I don't want people to start questioning my employability this early on after a crappy year.
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 9th Oct 17, 7:29 PM
    • 2,934 Posts
    • 1,524 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • 9th Oct 17, 7:29 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 7:29 PM
    Recruitment agencies are there to make people feel like poo, especially in these situations, in the same way they shield their client who doesn't need to be viewing the constant job advert's that arise from the same companies time and time again so really have no idea. It wouldn't really take a genius to think why does this job come up again at 4 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, that after so many times of re-advertising just why. Sometimes the negative questioning of recruiters can even be a distraction because actually their poor client is just one of these types of employers.

Sorry it's a sign of the times - all you can do is learn to turn the negatives into positives, there were some good helpful articles on this subject produced by Coburg Banks - I think. (maybe ironic I know LOL) only yesterday I come by a really lovely 240 odd old page supportive thread to appreciate how difficult it appeared finding work in 2011 when bored out of my skull taking all of 3 calls during a shift. Online training sites blocked as that would have been my first choice for the day.

Direct employers don't tend to be so bad or have got better or least get you into an interview room before grilling. Clearly avoiding ones that state stable work history in requirements or references required as that is going to grow to be another contentious issue.

Sometimes I do think I've been a fool and should have spent the last 5 years unemployed. Not bothered trying. No seriously don't think like this either!!
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 9th Oct 17, 8:18 PM
    • 4,187 Posts
    • 6,895 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 9th Oct 17, 8:18 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 8:18 PM
    Recruitment agencies are there to make people feel like poo, especially in these situations, in the same way they shield their client who doesn't need to be viewing the constant job advert's that arise from the same companies time and time again so really have no idea. It wouldn't really take a genius to think why does this job come up again at 4 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, that after so many times of re-advertising just why. Sometimes the negative questioning of recruiters can even be a distraction because actually their poor client is just one of these types of employers.

Sorry it's a sign of the times - all you can do is learn to turn the negatives into positives, there were some good helpful articles on this subject produced by Coburg Banks - I think. (maybe ironic I know LOL) only yesterday I come by a really lovely 240 odd old page supportive thread to appreciate how difficult it appeared finding work in 2011 when bored out of my skull taking all of 3 calls during a shift. Online training sites blocked as that would have been my first choice for the day.

Direct employers don't tend to be so bad or have got better or least get you into an interview room before grilling. Clearly avoiding ones that state stable work history in requirements or references required as that is going to grow to be another contentious issue.

Sometimes I do think I've been a fool and should have spent the last 5 years unemployed. Not bothered trying. No seriously don't think like this either!!
    Originally posted by keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    I don't agree. It is perfectly reasonable for any employer to question what may appear to be an excessive turnover of jobs. Direct employers would do so just as much, probably more so, than agencies - agencies are more used to people having many jobs in a short space of time.

OP, three jobs in a year IS a lot. But you actually do have a perfectly reasonable explanation. So cut out the implied criticism of the employers and you have a perfect explanation. You had a job you loved but ended up redundant. You wanted too work, you tried to find a job that was the right fit that you would love just as much. Unfortunately you haven't succeeded, and the jobs haven't worked as well as you had hoped. You want a job that you can commit to and an employer you can settle with. And that is why you are still looking.
    • Caroline_a
    • By Caroline_a 10th Oct 17, 1:58 PM
    • 3,874 Posts
    • 10,678 Thanks
    Caroline_a
    • 10th Oct 17, 1:58 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 1:58 PM
    Many years ago I worked with people who had been made redundant and were unemployed. A common theme that often came up was that people didn't want a 'new' job - they wanted their old job back, often not even realising this. So, the new job would be too far from home, not enough money, not enough holidays, people not as nice... etc etc. Once they had this pointed out to them, things fell more into place I found and they were able to move on more.

Your old job has gone. Now look to the future. You can't judge new jobs on a few week's work. Take it a step at a time and build a new career.
    • ssparks2003
    • By ssparks2003 10th Oct 17, 3:52 PM
    • 215 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    ssparks2003
    • 10th Oct 17, 3:52 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 3:52 PM
    Recruiting staff is a very costly activity; not just the fees that are paid to the recruiter but in the time and effort that it takes to go through the process of interviewing and making an offer. To see someone applying for a role that has had a series of roles in a short period of time does cause concern that you will just move on after a few months, so it is quite fair of them to ask.
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 10th Oct 17, 10:06 PM
    • 18,833 Posts
    • 19,145 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    • 10th Oct 17, 10:06 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 10:06 PM
    The point about the long commute is a good one. So
    job 1 - made redundant
    job 2 - took because you believe in work, but long commute made it unsustainable
    job 3 - not ideal, and you really really like the look of company 4, so you are considering moving for this reason!
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • Energize
    • By Energize 12th Oct 17, 1:06 AM
    • 377 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    Energize
    • 12th Oct 17, 1:06 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 1:06 AM
    No you don't have to tell people about your complete employment history, a CV should only really have relevant work history anyway. So if something was only an insignificant blip, just leave it off.
    • Sarastro
    • By Sarastro 21st Oct 17, 1:11 PM
    • 360 Posts
    • 277 Thanks
    Sarastro
    I think you should give complete employment history - prospective employers will be suspicious about unexplained gaps. I would also include the reasons for short job spans, redundancy was something you couldn't do anything about but you will need to explain the other choices you've made to leave. Unsustainable commute is a bit odd - why did you take it in the first place? i'd try to find something a bit more positive, like I wasn't being given enough to do. If asked in interview, point to long service at previous companies prior to this.

The grass is never greener. Work out what you want from an employer and a role and if you get interviews, use them to find out if they are right for you as well! Don't jump ship because you're bored.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 21st Oct 17, 1:16 PM
    • 15,435 Posts
    • 38,763 Thanks
    elsien
    It's also how you spin it as well.
    So in addition to the reasons for not staying, you could say something along the lines of you are now far clearer about the type of role you want, you've learned more about what works and what doesn't work for you, so you are applying to X because you know it fits very well with what you want for a long term career.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,131Posts Today

5,876Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• Follow Martin