Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ConsumerWarrior
    • By ConsumerWarrior 9th Oct 17, 4:29 PM
    • 56Posts
    • 15Thanks
    ConsumerWarrior
    0 WOW
    Returning to UK, lived in China after 1 year SHIPPING
    • 9th Oct 17, 4:29 PM
    0 WOW
    Returning to UK, lived in China after 1 year SHIPPING 9th Oct 17 at 4:29 PM
    Greetings, after a short contract in China having accumulated a small amount of personal belongings in my apartment I want to know about which shipping agents to approach to get my kit back to UK in December 2017. I don't really have too much but will fill about 20 large cardboard boxes.
    Anyone had this experience?
    I also have a couple of small terrapins as pets but I doubt that I can import those without a lot of trouble so will have to find someone local (so long as they don't eat them!).
    Thanks
Page 1
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 9th Oct 17, 9:38 PM
    • 11,718 Posts
    • 7,937 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:38 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:38 PM
    I have had that experience (in other countries) but really you will need to find someone who knows what is available where you are.

FWIW when I was shipping things back from Africa I got a better deal by asking a British company to arrange things than I could find locally. The company I used was called Bishops Move:

London
    Bishops House, Davis Road Ind. Park, Davis Road
    Chessington, KT9 1TQ
    www.bishopsmove.com
    • slinga
    • By slinga 10th Oct 17, 2:56 AM
    • 1,082 Posts
    • 223 Thanks
    slinga
    • 10th Oct 17, 2:56 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 2:56 AM
    Pickfords usually have offices everywhere although they sub contract to a local company for Chinese part.
    Not saying Pickfords are the cheapest or best but have wide worldwide coverage.

We've used Four Winds, Crown and others but not from China mainland
    But a couple of times from HK.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 10th Oct 17, 10:33 AM
    • 7,298 Posts
    • 4,079 Thanks
    martindow
    • 10th Oct 17, 10:33 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 10:33 AM
    I would also have a serious look at what is really worth bringing back and be brutal thinning it down. If it ends up as just a few boxes it may be cheaper sending them with a parcel carrier or even as excess baggage on your plane back.
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 10th Oct 17, 11:07 AM
    • 4,945 Posts
    • 3,579 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    • 10th Oct 17, 11:07 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 11:07 AM
    You should definitely only bring back the essentials as martindow suggested as it can get expensive for a lot of boxes

A few companies that do what you asked
    https://www.reallymoving.com/quote-forms/international-removals
    https://www.movehub.com/advice/cheapest-ways-to-move-abroad
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • ConsumerWarrior
    • By ConsumerWarrior 12th Oct 17, 4:13 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    ConsumerWarrior
    • 12th Oct 17, 4:13 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 4:13 PM
    Thanks for the help on this matter, Will look firstly at minimizing belongings, probably end giving a lot away as things are so cheap out here.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,103Posts Today

7,909Users online

Martin's Twitter