Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rainbow_carnage
    • By rainbow_carnage 9th Oct 17, 4:27 PM
    • 457Posts
    • 218Thanks
    rainbow_carnage
    Who owns the loft space?
    • 9th Oct 17, 4:27 PM
    Who owns the loft space? 9th Oct 17 at 4:27 PM
    We own a first-floor leasehold flat and would like to convert the loft space above us. The loft space is not mentioned in either our lease or the lease of the downstairs flat. We and the owners of the downstairs flat are jointly responsible for the maintenance and repair of the roof, as well as the outside walls that surround the loft space. There are two water tanks in the loft, one for each flat, though neither is in use.

I'm trying to figure out who owns the loft space. Is it the freeholder? Or is it jointly owned by us and the owners of the downstairs flat?

I would assume that it's the freeholder, but since the two leaseholders and not the freeholder are responsible for the roof, does that mean that we have some claim to the space?

Thanks in advance.
Page 2
    • rainbow_carnage
    • By rainbow_carnage 10th Oct 17, 8:19 AM
    • 457 Posts
    • 218 Thanks
    rainbow_carnage
    The fact the neighbours have had conversions in the past doesn't automatically mean you would get permission to do the same though.
    Originally posted by EachPenny
    Do you mean from the council? Obviously, there are no guarantees, but I'm fairly confident that they won't object. They've given planning permission for several identical conversions on the same street in the past few years, including one two doors down in 2015.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,174Posts Today

5,744Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• Follow Martin