Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nikkita
    • By Nikkita 9th Oct 17, 4:00 PM
    • 24Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Nikkita
    Changing from Electric Storage to LPG
    • 9th Oct 17, 4:00 PM
    Changing from Electric Storage to LPG 9th Oct 17 at 4:00 PM
    Hi,

I have recently bought my first house with my husband and it is currently heated by Electric Storage Heaters, we are wanting to change to LPG does anyone know if there are any Government Schemes out there that can assist with this? Or what the cheapest way to do this is? We are waiting for quotes to come in but know we are looking at about 5-6k for the boiler and radiators and installation.

We have already got prices from calor gas for the tank etc so know how much this is going to be

Thank you
    Last edited by Nikkita; 09-10-2017 at 4:00 PM. Reason: correct spelling
Page 1
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 9th Oct 17, 5:25 PM
    • 3,883 Posts
    • 1,541 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 9th Oct 17, 5:25 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 5:25 PM
    Hi,

I have recently bought my first house with my husband and it is currently heated by Electric Storage Heaters, we are wanting to change to LPG does anyone know if there are any Government Schemes out there that can assist with this? Or what the cheapest way to do this is? We are waiting for quotes to come in but know we are looking at about 5-6k for the boiler and radiators and installation.

We have already got prices from calor gas for the tank etc so know how much this is going to be

Thank you
    Originally posted by Nikkita
    No, I am sorry, but I don't know any scheme that expects the taxpayer to fund the improvement to your home.

There are sometimes grants available for say insulation, as this would save energy (environmental protection, etc), but I don't know any for general improvements or modifications to the home, sorry.

Perhaps, have a word with your MP.?
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 9th Oct 17, 6:18 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    Mister G
    • 9th Oct 17, 6:18 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 6:18 PM
    I hope that you've got several quotes for the LPG.

Calor are not always the cheapest!
    • J B
    • By J B 9th Oct 17, 7:02 PM
    • 2,386 Posts
    • 775 Thanks
    J B
    • 9th Oct 17, 7:02 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 7:02 PM
    You don't say why you want to change to LPG, but of course it is your prerogative.

Have you considered a) staying with E7 or b) oil?
    • Nikkita
    • By Nikkita 9th Oct 17, 10:25 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Nikkita
    • 9th Oct 17, 10:25 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 10:25 PM
    No, I am sorry, but I don't know any scheme that expects the taxpayer to fund the improvement to your home.

There are sometimes grants available for say insulation, as this would save energy (environmental protection, etc), but I don't know any for general improvements or modifications to the home, sorry.

Perhaps, have a word with your MP.?
    Originally posted by footyguy
    I donít expect the taxpayer to foot the bill I was asking if there were any grants out there that I could apply for as I know there are for radiators and boilers but you have to be certain benefits or classed as being on a low income which we arenít. Thanks
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 10th Oct 17, 8:38 AM
    • 4,014 Posts
    • 3,434 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 10th Oct 17, 8:38 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 8:38 AM
    Sorry, can't help with the grant side of things. But, assuming you're not on mains gas, have you looked at oil rather than LPG ? Historically, oil has always been the cheapest of the off-grid options, LPG tends to be towards the more expensive end of the scale.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 10th Oct 17, 8:45 AM
    • 3,883 Posts
    • 1,541 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 10th Oct 17, 8:45 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 8:45 AM
    I don’t expect the taxpayer to foot the bill ...
    Who were you thinking might fund such a grant?
    • reeac
    • By reeac 10th Oct 17, 8:52 AM
    • 1,136 Posts
    • 455 Thanks
    reeac
    • 10th Oct 17, 8:52 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 8:52 AM
    Why lpg? A friend chose lpg for reduced maintenance costs. Hasn't turned out that way ...he needed a replacement boiler after about 14 years whereas our oil boiler of same vintage is still going strong after 20 years with annual maintenance. at around £70, complete reliability and only a few trivial bits replaced.
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 10th Oct 17, 11:01 AM
    • 447 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    Mister G
    • 10th Oct 17, 11:01 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 11:01 AM
    My experience is the exact opposite.

We installed a Baxi Bermuda LPG back boiler back in 1983. It is still going strong and in 34 years has only needed a new gas valve at £50. The boiler is regularly serviced at a further £50 a year.

Oil boilers are significantly more expensive than gas boilers and need an oil tank which can fail after a number of years. With LPG the tank responsibility lies with the LPG supplier.

If you shop around for your gas, then the difference in running costs is not that much. I currently pay 30ppl.

Oh - and LPG has the advantage that not only is it cleaner but people don't tend to steal it!
    Last edited by Mister G; 10-10-2017 at 11:09 AM.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 10th Oct 17, 11:43 AM
    • 3,883 Posts
    • 1,541 Thanks
    footyguy
    Why lpg? A friend chose lpg for reduced maintenance costs. Hasn't turned out that way ...he needed a replacement boiler after about 14 years whereas our oil boiler of same vintage is still going strong after 20 years with annual maintenance. at around £70, complete reliability and only a few trivial bits replaced.
    Originally posted by reeac
    The OP currently has NSHs - you won't get cheaper than that for maintenance costs, so presumably that is not a factor in their decision process.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 15th Oct 17, 8:46 AM
    • 23,686 Posts
    • 89,657 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I donít expect the taxpayer to foot the bill I was asking if there were any grants out there that I could apply for as I know there are for radiators and boilers but you have to be certain benefits or classed as being on a low income which we arenít. Thanks
    There are sometimes grants for changes that reduce a home's energy demands through greater efficiency.

You are proposing a change which doesn't do that, which is probably why others were surprised that you hoped to find a grant for it.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • shrooms
    • By shrooms 3rd Nov 17, 12:19 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    shrooms
    There aren't any for that. Also storage heaters are the most expensive way to heat you house bar non. LPG 2nd most expensive. Research ground source heating or biomass heating and you will find that more appealing.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 3rd Nov 17, 9:24 AM
    • 27,114 Posts
    • 13,226 Thanks
    Cardew
    Also storage heaters are the most expensive way to heat you house bar non. .
    Originally posted by shrooms
    Not so!

Many properties - particularly flats - have no option but to have electrical heating.

Storage heaters(and immersion heaters) on an E7 tariff are cheaper to run than electrical heaters and immersion heaters on a 'normal' (24/7) one rate tariff.
    • sk240
    • By sk240 3rd Nov 17, 3:10 PM
    • 444 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    sk240
    If you have room for LPG cylinders or a tank you would have room for a heat pump, have you concidered that.
    Conciderably cheaper to run than LPG
    • J B
    • By J B 5th Nov 17, 9:10 AM
    • 2,386 Posts
    • 775 Thanks
    J B
    Storage heaters(and immersion heaters) on an E7 tariff are cheaper to run than electrical heaters and immersion heaters on a 'normal' (24/7) one rate tariff.
    Originally posted by Cardew
    And, last time I looked they were a darn sight cheaper to install ...
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 5th Nov 17, 11:31 AM
    • 3,176 Posts
    • 1,896 Thanks
    matelodave
    I think you need to do some sums.

I dont know what sort of tariff you are on but I'm guessing that E7 is around 8p a kwh, you need to see how much LPG will cost you per kwh. Lets say it's 5p per kwh (35p/litre) so you could make a saving of around 3p per kwh (use your own figures) - 1 litre of LPG is around 6.9kwh.

I don't know how much an LPG installation will cost but you'll end up with a big tank and a lot of mess and I'll guess that it will cost around £4k. Divide £4k by 3p and you end up with 133,000. Thats the number of kwh you'll have to use to break even. Say you'll use 13,000kwh a year then it will take you 10 years.

Your E7 tariff allows you to heat your home, all your hot water and even do the washing, drying and dishwasing at the off-peak rate (and ironing and vacuuming if you are prepared to do it over night)
    Last edited by matelodave; 05-11-2017 at 12:22 PM.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 5th Nov 17, 11:43 AM
    • 27,114 Posts
    • 13,226 Thanks
    Cardew
    And, last time I looked they were a darn sight cheaper to install ...
    Originally posted by J B
    And the OP already has storage heaters fitted.
    • mumf
    • By mumf 5th Nov 17, 5:55 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    mumf
    Its a balancing act.We had a situation last year where our boiler packed up.No problem.Stick a new one in.Naah! " regulations mate, You need new pipework, that doesn't meet building regs.And you could do with new rads."

Seems he was right. Trouble was,the pipe work was laid on the floor and concreted over.150 year old house blah blah.

As we have two solid fuel stoves,our primary heating in this cottage,we went electric.Best thing we ever did! We have an electric shower anyway,so put in an immersion heater for hot water and wall mounted electric radiators in each room.Each one has a timer to suit its location,and the bathroom has a fan heater over the door - this was done for less than a thousand pounds.

No longer will we have a plumber in,drawing breath and telling us hoyiw many thousands it will cost! Incidentally,the bill for gas heating replacement/ flooring/ plastering/carpets/decoration and general " didn't see that coming" STARTED at 12,000 quid!

And we are warm.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 11th Nov 17, 12:56 PM
    • 2,323 Posts
    • 4,802 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Just a thought, OP but, if you don't already have them, have you explored the possibility of solar panels? They can reduce your electricity costs considerably and, if your roof is suitable (within 45 degrees (I think) of due South, not overshadowed nor likely to be when trees grow taller, etc.) you might just qualify for free panels.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,062Posts Today

6,815Users online

Martin's Twitter