Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EvilEnderman
    • By EvilEnderman 9th Oct 17, 3:34 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    EvilEnderman
    University of Southampton "PCN" - What do I do?
    • 9th Oct 17, 3:34 PM
    University of Southampton "PCN" - What do I do? 9th Oct 17 at 3:34 PM
    Hi, I got ticketed this morning, and I have no idea what to do to get myself out of it. I live in the university halls. and I had to park my car there because there were no other places that I could park, literally within a good mile of the halls complex. Lots of other cars also parked here without a permit as well, so I thought I was in the clear, or that they didn't care or something, but apparently they do. (lots of other peoples cars woke up to a nice orange bit of plastic on the windscreen as well) What worries me is that it describes itself as a ”Penalty charge notice", and not a "parking charge notice" - and from what I've been reading this means it's serious? I can't tell!

imgur.com/a/MIYAL - link to the picture of the notice

This is what was on my windscreen. I'm not sure whether to try to appeal, or just ignore it completely.

What to do?

Cheers!
    Last edited by EvilEnderman; 09-10-2017 at 4:01 PM.
Page 1
    • Redx
    • By Redx 9th Oct 17, 4:36 PM
    • 15,958 Posts
    • 19,989 Thanks
    Redx
    • 9th Oct 17, 4:36 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 4:36 PM
    its private property so wont be a PENALTY charge notice

wait for an NTK in the post , then appeal

read the NEWBIES sticky thread in the meantime
    Last edited by Redx; 09-10-2017 at 4:47 PM.
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • EvilEnderman
    • By EvilEnderman 9th Oct 17, 4:41 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    EvilEnderman
    • 9th Oct 17, 4:41 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 4:41 PM
    That's strange, the slip of paper quotes "Penalty Charge Notice". You can see the bit of paper at the link I posted. The other issue is, I'm not actually the registered keeper of the vehicle. Does that complicate it?
    セクシー ・ ビースト
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 9th Oct 17, 4:44 PM
    • 7,638 Posts
    • 7,699 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 9th Oct 17, 4:44 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 4:44 PM
    That ticket looks about as shoddy and amateurish as you could possibly get!

I would also suggest you obscure that reference number - walls have eyes etc.
    Last edited by pogofish; 09-10-2017 at 4:47 PM.
    • andytaylor
    • By andytaylor 9th Oct 17, 6:11 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    andytaylor
    • 9th Oct 17, 6:11 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 6:11 PM
    University of Southampton have no KADOE contract according to the DVLA's list, so it will be interesting to find out how they obtain the RK's details.

If you're not the RK, then you will need to tell them they might be getting a letter. Make sure they know not to pay it. They will probably be able to avoid because the notice to keeper will be non-compliant with POFA.

In the meantime, see if you can get photos of all the signs around the area that the driver parked in.
    • nigelbb
    • By nigelbb 9th Oct 17, 8:18 PM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 2,686 Thanks
    nigelbb
    • 9th Oct 17, 8:18 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 8:18 PM
    University of Southampton have no KADOE contract according to the DVLA's list, so it will be interesting to find out how they obtain the RK's details.
    Originally posted by andytaylor
    As the landowner they are can purchase RK details from the DVLA. Anyone who finds an unauthorised car parked on their land is able to for £2.50 or indeed anyone who has reasonable cause.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 9th Oct 17, 8:26 PM
    • 14,865 Posts
    • 23,330 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 9th Oct 17, 8:26 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 8:26 PM
    https://m.imgur.com/a/MIYAL

I think this bluster on the part of the Uni, meant to scare people off from parking without a permit in the future. The daft ones will send them a cheque, but I suggest you just see what comes of it, but for sure they cannot issue ‘penalties’.

I suspect you’ll hear no more, but should you do so, come back for further advice and assistance - when this could be interesting.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Unicorn51
    • By Unicorn51 9th Oct 17, 9:42 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    Unicorn51
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:42 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:42 PM
    This makes interesting reading.

http://www.calendar.soton.ac.uk/sectionIV/vehicles-bicycles.html
    • ratechaser
    • By ratechaser 9th Oct 17, 10:17 PM
    • 459 Posts
    • 363 Thanks
    ratechaser
    • 9th Oct 17, 10:17 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 10:17 PM
    Do universities have some sort of special dispensation to issue 'penalties'? (...he asked, expecting the answer 'no')
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 10th Oct 17, 7:07 AM
    • 14,865 Posts
    • 23,330 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Do universities have some sort of special dispensation to issue 'penalties'? (...he asked, expecting the answer 'no')
    Originally posted by ratechaser
    Correct.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 10th Oct 17, 10:08 AM
    • 7,638 Posts
    • 7,699 Thanks
    pogofish
    Originally posted by ratechaser
    Historically, some did - but as Soton only got its charter in 1952, I don't think it would be amongst the "ancient" institutions with the sort of archaic/medieval legal privileges that allowed the raising of fines and other forms of summary punishments.

Even then, most if not all of these privileges were lost a good number of years ago (most having fallen from use many years before) but it might be possible that some old Uni stalwart near to retrial might have been around in the period when it was allowed and never updated themselves.

I must add that Soton have been the patsy for impersonation scams before. Some years back I had a to and-fro with their then Principal about just this - someone using Soton paperwork but a non-Soton bank account was trying to get money out of us. He took it very seriously and his response was spot-on.
    Last edited by pogofish; 10-10-2017 at 10:35 AM.
    • barrymung
    • By barrymung 10th Oct 17, 12:57 PM
    • 625 Posts
    • 396 Thanks
    barrymung
    Originally posted by Unicorn51
    Most Universities have Royal Charters and it's that which gives them the power to issue degrees. I *think* that many will also give them the power to effectively make their own byelaws and thus issue fines.

I would appeal under section 2 if it were me. From what you were saying it was late at night, you couldn't park where you normally do as all the spaces were blocked within a mile radius and having heard nasty things about the local area and being new to the city you feared for your own safety, thus didn't want to walk far, so parked at the halls.

Universities *hate* upsetting students unduly.

Any thoughts anyone?
    • barrymung
    • By barrymung 10th Oct 17, 1:01 PM
    • 625 Posts
    • 396 Thanks
    barrymung
    https://m.imgur.com/a/MIYAL
    but for sure they cannot issue ‘penalties’.
    Originally posted by Umkomaas
    I'm pretty sure a University can withhold a degree, for things like non payment of rent, outstanding library books etc.
    • andytaylor
    • By andytaylor 10th Oct 17, 2:02 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    andytaylor
    I'm pretty sure a University can withhold a degree, for things like non payment of rent, outstanding library books etc.
    Originally posted by barrymung
    Indeed they can.
    • nigelbb
    • By nigelbb 10th Oct 17, 5:53 PM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 2,686 Thanks
    nigelbb
    Originally posted by barrymung
    Indeed they can.
    Originally posted by andytaylor
    Indeed they cannot. The OFT wrote to all, the universities a few years ago warning that this practice was illegal https://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/feb/18/oft-warns-universities-higher-education-groups-student-sanctions
    • barrymung
    • By barrymung 12th Oct 17, 9:20 AM
    • 625 Posts
    • 396 Thanks
    barrymung
    All it says is that Unis *MAY* be in breach of consumer law. The argument goes that the student has paid tuition fees thus is entitled to a certificate. However, the Unis argue that it's written into their T&C's so fair game.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 12th Oct 17, 10:14 AM
    • 7,638 Posts
    • 7,699 Thanks
    pogofish
    Parking tickets are not normally included in the range of things a Uni might withhold things for as most if not all parking "debts" are collected on an ex-gratia basis. i.e. the Uni contract with their PPC/debt collector is such that they have absolutely no responsibility for the alleged debt.

So I suppose we now wait to see if the OP gets a letter from a shonky debt collector and which one. I cannot believe that bit of toilet paper they were given would be the basis for any substantive small claim by the Uni itself!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

179Posts Today

1,402Users online

Martin's Twitter