Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lee.sheehan
    • By lee.sheehan 9th Oct 17, 2:59 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    lee.sheehan
    Crash that wasn't your fault tips
    • 9th Oct 17, 2:59 PM
    Crash that wasn't your fault tips 9th Oct 17 at 2:59 PM
    Hi Guys,
    Hope everyone is enjoying a Monday back at work

Last Friday my girlfriend unfortunately had a bump on the way home from work, a man in a left hand drive lorry came across into the right hand lane and went into her car.
    Now we want to be prepared for the fact that he will deny all fault, we already have pictures of the crash and also have his driving licence details and also his contact details.
    What I would like to know is if their is a way to get footage of the crash? is a contact area available for the highway agency to try and get footage of near by camera, or would we be able to get in contact with the police at all to help get the footage?
    If you have any more tips or anything else you believe we should try please let me know
    Lee
Page 1
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 9th Oct 17, 3:05 PM
    • 1,336 Posts
    • 924 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 9th Oct 17, 3:05 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 3:05 PM
    Very unlikely to get footage assuming there is actually any at all, very little of the UK road network has cameras covering it.

You've done all you need to and it isn't common for the truck drivers to deny fault in an accident like this due to the blind spots that exist so she should find that the claim procedure is quite straightforward.
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 9th Oct 17, 3:34 PM
    • 10,929 Posts
    • 6,221 Thanks
    DUTR
    • 9th Oct 17, 3:34 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 3:34 PM
    Very unlikely to get footage assuming there is actually any at all, very little of the UK road network has cameras covering it.

You've done all you need to and it isn't common for the truck drivers to deny fault in an accident like this due to the blind spots that exist so she should find that the claim procedure is quite straightforward.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    I'm not the underwriter, so have little interest in the outcome, however LHD or not, why be driving at the side of a large vehicle for any longer than necessary?
    The claim proceedure itself will be straighforward, who is liable may be more difficult to agree.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 10th Oct 17, 12:57 PM
    • 7,064 Posts
    • 2,827 Thanks
    almillar
    • 10th Oct 17, 12:57 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 12:57 PM
    why be driving at the side of a large vehicle for any longer than necessary?
    You're right, you shouldn't. But there's nothing in this thread that suggests that OP's girlfriend did.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 10th Oct 17, 2:03 PM
    • 1,933 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    Stoke
    • 10th Oct 17, 2:03 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 2:03 PM
    I'm not the underwriter, so have little interest in the outcome, however LHD or not, why be driving at the side of a large vehicle for any longer than necessary?
    The claim proceedure itself will be straighforward, who is liable may be more difficult to agree.
    Originally posted by DUTR
    I love this kind of bat !!!! crazy logic that's recently appeared on MSE. It's the same logic as "well, if you own a Beamer, you can afford the repairs yourself".

I never like to sit beside a truck for too long, because of the obvious issues with sight, but truck drivers need to be aware of their surroundings. If the driver is observant, and careful, these accidents don't happen. There are truckers who drive for 30-40 years without a single accident. It's all about knowing what is around you.

But yeah, it's her fault.... for being in his way when he crashed into her.
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 10th Oct 17, 5:59 PM
    • 10,929 Posts
    • 6,221 Thanks
    DUTR
    • 10th Oct 17, 5:59 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 5:59 PM
    I love this kind of bat !!!! crazy logic that's recently appeared on MSE. It's the same logic as "well, if you own a Beamer, you can afford the repairs yourself".

I never like to sit beside a truck for too long, because of the obvious issues with sight, but truck drivers need to be aware of their surroundings. If the driver is observant, and careful, these accidents don't happen. There are truckers who drive for 30-40 years without a single accident. It's all about knowing what is around you.

But yeah, it's her fault.... for being in his way when he crashed into her.
    Originally posted by Stoke
    You probably misunderstand what I'm saying... long vehicle... stay behind it or pass it quickly (and then get to a distance that you maybe visible to the driver) , I see people sitting at the side of a high sided long vehicle...to me it's just a danger zone.
    Swap positions with the drivers, the person passing is behind and has the advantage of better visibility.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 10th Oct 17, 6:23 PM
    • 408 Posts
    • 199 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    • 10th Oct 17, 6:23 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 6:23 PM
    You see it every day on the M6, they sit along side the rear tractor wheels of a foreign artic and wonder why they get blindsided.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 10th Oct 17, 6:25 PM
    • 1,933 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    Stoke
    • 10th Oct 17, 6:25 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 6:25 PM
    You probably misunderstand what I'm saying... long vehicle... stay behind it or pass it quickly (and then get to a distance that you maybe visible to the driver) , I see people sitting at the side of a high sided long vehicle...to me it's just a danger zone.
    Swap positions with the drivers, the person passing is behind and has the advantage of better visibility.
    Originally posted by DUTR
    What if you can't pass it? I've attempted to overtake trucks in the past on the motorway only to find some plum in the overtaking lane who is sat there cruising at almost the same speed as the truck. Yes, it's an overtaking lane, push forward and move back in, but they won't.... this leaves me sandwiched beside the truck.

What do I do? Throw myself out of the window? Panic? Slam the brakes on and cause a 12 car pile up? No, I cruise and hope the person in front will eventually get his act together and move slightly further forward. In the meantime, I have to assume the truck driver is taking his responsibilities seriously and decides against running me off the road.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 10th Oct 17, 6:38 PM
    • 408 Posts
    • 199 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    • 10th Oct 17, 6:38 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 6:38 PM
    What if you can't pass it? I've attempted to overtake trucks in the past on the motorway only to find some plum in the overtaking lane who is sat there cruising at almost the same speed as the truck. Yes, it's an overtaking lane, push forward and move back in, but they won't.... this leaves me sandwiched beside the truck.

What do I do? Throw myself out of the window? Panic? Slam the brakes on and cause a 12 car pile up? No, I cruise and hope the person in front will eventually get his act together and move slightly further forward. In the meantime, I have to assume the truck driver is taking his responsibilities seriously and decides against running me off the road.
    Don't start to pass the truck until you can get clear of the front end. It's called showing a bit of restraint.

Alternatively pass them in the offside lane of a motorway. Unless there are only two lanes you'll be ok.
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 10th Oct 17, 6:41 PM
    • 10,929 Posts
    • 6,221 Thanks
    DUTR

That's assuming the driver of the high long vehicle knows you are there, as mentioned the car driver from behind has the visible advantage. From behind one can see if there is ample room to pass quickly and safely well before attempting the manouver. Only yesterday a cyclist again got killed by a lorry at a junction (one can only imagine the circumstances which may have lead to the incident) .
    For me I'm not going to assume any other driver is aware of my presence and not prepared to put myself in a risky position on the road especially vs a lorry, I know which will win the knock and the car driver may not be around to collect the 2nd prize.
    • Indout96
    • By Indout96 11th Oct 17, 9:10 AM
    • 1,694 Posts
    • 2,325 Thanks
    Indout96
    Don't start to pass the truck until you can get clear of the front end. It's called showing a bit of restraint.
    Originally posted by Warwick Hunt

50 mph motorway roadworks with average speed cameras for 10 miles, stuck at side of an artic - or are you suggesting that we all just use 1 lane and follow the artic as you cannot "get your foot down to pass" ?
    Understeer is when the front of the car hits the wall.
    Oversteer is when the back of the car hits the wall
    BHP is how fast you hit the wall
    Torque is how far you take the wall after you hit it.
    • IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 11th Oct 17, 10:16 AM
    • 1,036 Posts
    • 831 Thanks
    IanMSpencer
    50 mph motorway roadworks with average speed cameras for 10 miles, stuck at side of an artic - or are you suggesting that we all just use 1 lane and follow the artic as you cannot "get your foot down to pass" ?
    Originally posted by Indout96
    If you are both doing 50mph then there is nothing wrong with sitting just behind the lorry - in the other lane, waiting for circumstances to change. Nobody is getting slowed down by you driving at the same speed just behind the lorry rather than just in front - the couple of car lengths makes no difference to the average journey time and avoids you getting swiped as the driver has another fag, grabs his cup of tea or nods off again for a bit.

As you are all driving at the limit there is nothing wrong with all three lanes being filled with traffic all travelling at the same speed. If you do get trapped along side, knocking 1mph off your speed to fall back behind the lorry for a few moments will make no difference to your journey time and increase your safety.

Unfortunately, some people's driving logic seems to be that they have a duty to leave the possibility open for a driver to force themselves into dangerous situations out of some strange concept of road etiquette.

If there is space to follow at a safe distance to your left and you are not making any progress, then staying left is reasonable, but in 20 mile long roadworks, as long as you are generally staying with the flow of traffic then it is better to avoid lane changes.

If there are a series of lorries, then the thing to do is watch the cars in front and wait for the gap between the lorries to clear and move forward into that, then wait for the next gap to clear.

Most drivers will pick up that you are hanging back.

Simple rule is that it is not the car behind's decision as to how fast you travel - make your own judgement and choices.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 11th Oct 17, 11:12 AM
    • 408 Posts
    • 199 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    Originally posted by Indout96
    Why not read what you quoted. What do you want to move along side it and be stuck there for 10 miles?
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 11th Oct 17, 10:06 PM
    • 25,872 Posts
    • 10,301 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Sounded familiar.... http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5724706
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,420Posts Today

6,908Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin