Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Rickb110
    • By Rickb110 9th Oct 17, 2:57 PM
    • 18Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Rickb110
    Chromecast seems to have broken my monitor
    • 9th Oct 17, 2:57 PM
    Chromecast seems to have broken my monitor 9th Oct 17 at 2:57 PM
    Hi Guys,

Looking for some help moving in the right direction here as I am a bit lost.

I purchased a Chromecast earlier on in the year (June) and as part of setup I connected it to my PC monitor via HDMI and set it off downloading the update. This was supposed to only take a few minutes but due to a Chromecast bug actually ran all night.

Since then the only thing that works properly with the monitor HDMI is Chromecast. It doesn't seem to be a physical problem as a different Chromecast also worked on the monitor, all other input is either not displayed or doesn't have sound.

I have contacted both the manufacturer and Google to try and get this resolved but currently both are trying to blame the other and telling me to get in contact with their support.
    I first contacted support on the 4th of July and still don't have any sort of resolution, Google was helping me but recently stopped responding to support requests.

My monitor is still under Warranty until Dec this year but I suspect they would be able to claim it wasn't a manufacturer fault and the Chromecast did the damage, however Google support claim there is nothing wrong with the Chromecast.

I have reached my limit with them both and just want my product fixing or replacing.

Any help or guidance would be massively appreciated
Page 2
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 10th Oct 17, 11:22 AM
    • 2,715 Posts
    • 3,961 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    You could try posting on the Techie Stuff board for advice in the problem.
    • deaston
    • By deaston 10th Oct 17, 12:27 PM
    • 472 Posts
    • 267 Thanks
    deaston
    Did you plug the Chromecast in whilst the monitor and/or Chromecast were powered on?

I'm sure I've read that HDMI is not always hot swappable and damage can be caused if devices are plugged in whilst switched on.
    Originally posted by miniemma
    HDMI is absolutely hot-swappable.
    • Rickb110
    • By Rickb110 10th Oct 17, 12:42 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rickb110
    So BenQ have looked at your monitor?

The Chromecast plugs directly into the HDMI, the PC and PS4 require a cable. Have you tried a different cable?
    Originally posted by deaston
    They requested pictures of the port, they haven't had it in person.

Yes, I have also tried those cables on other devices and they work fine - also they previously worked fine.
    • Rickb110
    • By Rickb110 10th Oct 17, 12:43 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rickb110
    You could try posting on the Techie Stuff board for advice in the problem.
    Originally posted by RichardD1970
    I am not really looking for tech advice, I have been at this for 3 months with two different tech support departments - whilst I am happy to hear any ideas people have I can't imagine anyone suggesting anything I haven't tried at this stage.
    • TrickyDicky101
    • By TrickyDicky101 10th Oct 17, 1:20 PM
    • 2,827 Posts
    • 1,829 Thanks
    TrickyDicky101
    Have you tried using a HDMI Male-Female adapter to connect your Chromecast (to the monitor) to see if the picture still works then (this is in case there is something particular about the Chromecast's HDMI connector that is allowing it to function whereas other (standard) connectors are failing in some way due to port damage on the monitor)?
    • deaston
    • By deaston 10th Oct 17, 2:56 PM
    • 472 Posts
    • 267 Thanks
    deaston
    I am not really looking for tech advice
    Originally posted by Rickb110
    I'm afraid you are - this isn't a consumer rights issue.

If you're so confident the problem is the monitor, I'd buy another one and then take it up again with BenQ when the new monitor works in the way your current one doesn't.
    Last edited by deaston; 10-10-2017 at 2:59 PM.
    • deaston
    • By deaston 10th Oct 17, 3:07 PM
    • 472 Posts
    • 267 Thanks
    deaston
    Looking on Amazon, there are a few questions about inputs - is it possible you're having similar problems? Maybe the Chromecast auto-switches the monitor (and therefore works) but other inputs need to be selected manually?

"I can use the VGA port, but when I try to use the hdmi port, the message on screen shows "no cable". Anyone else had/fixed this problem???"

"I bought this monitor and try to connect it to my PC using an HDMI cable but get the message "no signal" before the screen goes black. Why?"

"Just bought this today and after plugging in the power cable , my hdmi cable and the dvi cable provided the monitor is displaying no signal?"

"I bought this monitor and connected the HDMI cable but it said 'no signal'. I then went into d-sub and tried to connect it on the menu but nothing"

Answer: Hi, you need to connect a device to the dvi or vga input then go into menu and turn on HDMI Auto Select.
    • Rickb110
    • By Rickb110 11th Oct 17, 9:51 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rickb110
    Looking on Amazon, there are a few questions about inputs - is it possible you're having similar problems? Maybe the Chromecast auto-switches the monitor (and therefore works) but other inputs need to be selected manually?

"I can use the VGA port, but when I try to use the hdmi port, the message on screen shows "no cable". Anyone else had/fixed this problem???"

"I bought this monitor and try to connect it to my PC using an HDMI cable but get the message "no signal" before the screen goes black. Why?"

"Just bought this today and after plugging in the power cable , my hdmi cable and the dvi cable provided the monitor is displaying no signal?"

"I bought this monitor and connected the HDMI cable but it said 'no signal'. I then went into d-sub and tried to connect it on the menu but nothing"

Answer: Hi, you need to connect a device to the dvi or vga input then go into menu and turn on HDMI Auto Select.
    Nope already checked this and had it working for a year before. Again I have been on support for 3 months and yes I have looked up the problem online before.

And it is a consumer rights issue as either the monitor has failed miraculously at the exact same time that I plugged in the chromecast or the chromecast has somehow damaged the port on the monitor.
    • Rickb110
    • By Rickb110 11th Oct 17, 9:53 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rickb110
    Have you tried using a HDMI Male-Female adapter to connect your Chromecast (to the monitor) to see if the picture still works then (this is in case there is something particular about the Chromecast's HDMI connector that is allowing it to function whereas other (standard) connectors are failing in some way due to port damage on the monitor)?
    Originally posted by TrickyDicky101
    I don't have a HDMI Male-Female adapter unfortunately, going to see if I can dig one out of our spares at work today
    • deaston
    • By deaston 11th Oct 17, 11:15 AM
    • 472 Posts
    • 267 Thanks
    deaston

And it is a consumer rights issue as either the monitor has failed miraculously at the exact same time that I plugged in the chromecast or the chromecast has somehow damaged the port on the monitor.
    Well as the latter is impossible, it clearly must be the former. So there's your answer - you need to take it up with BenQ. Good luck.
    • wesleyad
    • By wesleyad 11th Oct 17, 12:16 PM
    • 161 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    wesleyad
    Aren't you just confusing the situation by bringing up the chrome cast (irrelevant whether or not it broke your monitor)

The facts (if I have read this right) are, you have a monitor under warranty that is not showing HDMI sources. It's broken. Hence return under warranty. Tell them it was working fine and now you cannot get HDMI to play you have tried multiple sources and leads. Don't mention anything about the chromecast.
    • Rickb110
    • By Rickb110 16th Oct 17, 1:44 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rickb110
    Aren't you just confusing the situation by bringing up the chrome cast (irrelevant whether or not it broke your monitor)

The facts (if I have read this right) are, you have a monitor under warranty that is not showing HDMI sources. It's broken. Hence return under warranty. Tell them it was working fine and now you cannot get HDMI to play you have tried multiple sources and leads. Don't mention anything about the chromecast.
    Originally posted by wesleyad
    I have been in touch with the BenQ support for quite a while trying to get this resolved, initially I assumed it was a software/firmware issue as it didn't seem possible for a HDMI to be somehow locked physically, this means they are completely aware of the cause as I went through a lot of steps with them initially.

They have agreed to take it back and inspect it producing a report, if it turns out that it's a failure under warranty they will repair it otherwise they will provide something for me to take to Google. Hopefully this should result in a resolution one way or another. They are maintaining that Chromecast caused the damage however so I suspect it's going to be a little while before I get it all sorted
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 16th Oct 17, 5:05 PM
    • 3,691 Posts
    • 3,036 Thanks
    dekaspace
    Well as the latter is impossible, it clearly must be the former. So there's your answer - you need to take it up with BenQ. Good luck.

Actually it is possible, either pin damage or a voltage issue.

My parents tv fried their hdmi dvd player (and the cable) with a bit of static build up.
    • Rickb110
    • By Rickb110 17th Oct 17, 3:42 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rickb110
    Actually it is possible, either pin damage or a voltage issue.

My parents tv fried their hdmi dvd player (and the cable) with a bit of static build up.
    Originally posted by dekaspace
    There does seem to be a few reports of people with Chromecasts experiencing issues where the TV suddenly becomes unresponsive either producing a black screen or not recognising inputs but they are still rare.

However I just don't get why Chromecast works perfectly and everything else won't work
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 17th Oct 17, 3:58 PM
    • 3,448 Posts
    • 5,891 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    There does seem to be a few reports of people with Chromecasts experiencing issues where the TV suddenly becomes unresponsive either producing a black screen or not recognising inputs but they are still rare.
    You will find that there will be reports of the same or similar things happening with almost any device you search for. Just try a search of a PlayStation, Xbox, DVD player, Sky box, freeview or freesat box. It will be quite rare for all of them because as already mentioned itís more likely to be pin damage or a power/voltage surge actually causing it and not the device itself that has been plugged in.
    • stuartJo1989
    • By stuartJo1989 17th Oct 17, 5:28 PM
    • 293 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    stuartJo1989
    Not much of a tech head, but in terms of your consumer rights it will be the same as any other item:

- If the fault is with the monitor then obtain an independent fault report and present this to the retailer.

- If the fault was caused by the chromecast then go to THAT retailer and state that. As it is under 6 months old they'd need to disprove an inherent fault. You can go on to claim consequential loss (ie the cost of a 2nd hand monitor which was damaged by the inherent fault with the chromecast)

- You can also approach the manufacturer of either item and see what they can offer you by way of the warranty.

- If either retailer refuses to resolve, or claims that the fault was NOT inherent, then you can take them to small claims court armed with your evidence and present your case. You'll probably lose at this stage unless you've got a fault report backing you up.

- You would also be wise in checking every single device which uses the HDMI connection to your TV. It is possible, although highly unlikely (unless you only use 1-2 devices such as Sky + a games console), that the other devices have developed a faulty HMDI connection and that the chromecast is currently unaffected. If you've used just 1 HDMI lead for all devices then maybe you've been pulling it out of the other devices pretty hard? Just a possibility.
    Last edited by stuartJo1989; 17-10-2017 at 5:31 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,956Posts Today

7,135Users online

Martin's Twitter