Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thebananapimp
    • By thebananapimp 9th Oct 17, 2:52 PM
    • 60Posts
    • 17Thanks
    thebananapimp
    Had a verbal offer accepted - please help with next steps
    • 9th Oct 17, 2:52 PM
    Had a verbal offer accepted - please help with next steps 9th Oct 17 at 2:52 PM
    Following on from a previous MSE thread I have made an offer on a house verbally and had it accepted.

I now want to lock down what the offer includes, subject to survey and valuation. This is my draft letter:

To whom it may concern
    Re: [title of property]

Further to our viewing on Wednesday October 4th, we are pleased to be in a position to offer to purchase the freehold on the above property for £xxx,500.00 (xxx pounds sterling).

This offer is on the basis that the property:
    Is taken off the market immediately and is subject to survey and valuation.
    Has local authority building regulations completion certificate for the conservatory
    Includes the washing machine
    Includes the dishwasher
    Includes the oven and hob
    Has a gas safety certificate for the boiler
    Includes all electrical fittings, sockets, wiring and light switches
    Is the above reasonable to expect a written confirmation of BEFORE beginning to pay legal and surveying fees?

And this is the bit where I get confused:
    Should this offer be acceptable, our conveyancer’s contact details are
    Name
    Address
    I currently have a mortgage broker, a recommended surveyor. I don't yet have anything sorted legal-wise, the estate agent has recommended one but I'm not sure the price they've suggested is reasonable.

Any general advice on the offer wording, the legal process now to come, and how to balance making sure the house is structurally sound without risking gazumping, would be massively appreciated

Thanks in advance for any help!

TBP
    Last edited by thebananapimp; 09-10-2017 at 2:58 PM. Reason: Added 'Has a gas safety certificate for the boiler'
Page 1
    • Rambosmum
    • By Rambosmum 9th Oct 17, 3:01 PM
    • 1,478 Posts
    • 1,934 Thanks
    Rambosmum
    • 9th Oct 17, 3:01 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 3:01 PM
    You can write that if you want. Usually though you give the estate agent your conveyance details and they send a 'memorandum of sale' to the buyer and vendors conveyancer, which details the address and agreed purchase price.

All offers are subject to survey and contract, it's just the way it is.

What is included in the sale (e.g. the washing machine) are usually argued over during the conyenancing process - with the vendor stating what they are leaving on the 'fixtures and fittings' form.
    • Rambosmum
    • By Rambosmum 9th Oct 17, 3:02 PM
    • 1,478 Posts
    • 1,934 Thanks
    Rambosmum
    • 9th Oct 17, 3:02 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 3:02 PM
    And don't use the estate agents conveyancer.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Oct 17, 3:04 PM
    • 60,285 Posts
    • 352,231 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 9th Oct 17, 3:04 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 3:04 PM
    Most people tend to do everything entirely verbally.

You to agent: Hello ... I'm offering £X for that house... but I want this stuff included ...
    Once you get the call back from the EA saying "yes":

Agent: OK, they accept; who is your solicitor?
    You: Dunno, I'll let you know; it's XYZ at ... address.
    You: I'll sort out the mortgage/survey.

You'll then receive a formal letter from the EA with the offer in it.

You have the option of writing what you want included in your offer - and it might be in the letter, it might not. If not, write it out yourself and give them your formal offer letter.

Let your solicitor have a copy of what you're buying/what your conditions are.

Job done....
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 9th Oct 17, 4:09 PM
    • 9,625 Posts
    • 12,142 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 9th Oct 17, 4:09 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 4:09 PM
    I'm on my 8th property and have never written to confirm. I presume you make the offer based on all this verbally - especially that the white goods were included?

Did they say it had a gas safety certificate and you're wanting it confirmed in writing? If not, it's not really for you to ask for them to get one unless you're going to foot the bill.

The electrical fittings, sockets, wiring, etc will of course be left - you really don't need to spell that out. It should be on the fixtures and fittings form anyway.

Don't use any legal or mortgage services affiliated with the EA. Recommendation for a local one is fine, or you choose and see if they can recommend a solicitor to deal with at that office (they'll prob know most local ones or who to avoid).

You get a survey done and read all the forms very carefully that the vendors send back - there's nothing else you can really do. Your solicitor will do the rest.

If the vendors are going to gazump you (sell to someone else for more money), there is naff all you can do to stop them (apart from pay more!).
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • fromtheshires
    • By fromtheshires 9th Oct 17, 4:42 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    fromtheshires
    • 9th Oct 17, 4:42 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 4:42 PM
    You are talking about locking down what the sale includes? Isnt this what an F&F form is for?

Did the EA say the the items you want are included in the sale?
    If the items are on the particulars then they will be included.

Gas Certificate - This is for a purchaser to obtain and I would rebuff this.
    Wiring etc - I have never heard of anyone removing the wiring to a house (prepares to have a link sent my way to prove me wrong).
    • Mutton Geoff
    • By Mutton Geoff 9th Oct 17, 4:58 PM
    • 887 Posts
    • 936 Thanks
    Mutton Geoff
    • 9th Oct 17, 4:58 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 4:58 PM
    I think you might be over complicating things. Just put in a verbal offer. The more you wrap yourself up in writing now, the less chance you have later although all the fixtures and fittings will be covered in the TA6 form which you will see later.

You trying to write legalise won't secure it any more for you. It won't be yours until contracts are exchanged and completed.
    Compensations/Refunds from Banks & Institutions - £4,165 | Stooz Profits - £7,636 | Quidco - £3,963

All with a big thank you to Martin and MSE.com from Mutton Geoff!
    • G_M
    • By G_M 9th Oct 17, 5:01 PM
    • 41,460 Posts
    • 47,842 Thanks
    G_M
    • 9th Oct 17, 5:01 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 5:01 PM
    totally unecessesary.

Give the estate agent your conveyancer's details and it will all get agreed/sorted duing conveyancing.

No verbal offer is binding so 'subject to....' conditions don't need mentioning. You can pull out any time up to Exchange for any (or no) reason.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Buy-House-Kirstie-Allsopp/dp/1444790633
    (free from your library)
    Last edited by G_M; 09-10-2017 at 5:04 PM.
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 9th Oct 17, 5:44 PM
    • 3,253 Posts
    • 5,581 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    • 9th Oct 17, 5:44 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 5:44 PM
    If I was selling and had a letter like that I’d be reconsidering the acceptance of the offer, if you are that fussy at offer stage I would be expecting a whole host of holdups and delays through the rest of the process while you want every detail checked and double checked which would just be a headache and probably less hassle to just leave it on the market and hope for another offer from someone else.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 9th Oct 17, 5:55 PM
    • 5,281 Posts
    • 4,918 Thanks
    eddddy
    Unlike others, if my verbal offer was accepted, I might send an informal email to the EA to confirm...

Just a quick note to confirm that my offer of £x which the vendor accepted assumes that:
    • The dishwasher, washing machine, oven and hob are included
    • The vendor has all relevant building regulations certificates

My solicitor will deal with the formalities in due course, but in the meantime can you ask the vendor to confirm the above, in order to avoid delays and misunderstandings later.

Many thanks.

None of the above will be legally binding - but it might avoid some last minute arguments.
    • chappers
    • By chappers 9th Oct 17, 7:17 PM
    • 2,708 Posts
    • 1,533 Thanks
    chappers
    just speak to the agent about those things they will deal with the vendor and the vendor can confirm via the TA6 and the F&F forms
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,496Posts Today

6,860Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin