Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cazbah1980
    • By cazbah1980 9th Oct 17, 2:43 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    cazbah1980
    Change of employment and universal credit
    • 9th Oct 17, 2:43 PM
    Change of employment and universal credit 9th Oct 17 at 2:43 PM
    Please could someone help.

I work 20 hours a week (am single mum with little girl) and claim tax credits and housing benefit. I have been invited for second interview for another job 30 hours a week. I went on turn2us to work out what my entitled to tax credits and housing benefit would be. It said in my area any changes reported after 1 November 2017 will prompt that claim to be changed over to Universal Credit.

On using the calculation to work out what I would get through tax credits/housing benefit now I would be financially better off per month (I am earning more and claiming less). However I am scared if I get the job and am switched over to UC I will end up worse off (based on UC it is £200 per month less). Is there transitional protection or is that only if I stay in my current job and have no changes in circumstances? I don't want to take this new job and be worse off. If I did get this job I would be starting after 1 November - would the recalculation of my benefits be based on the calculation I have done where it is not a UC claim and I have transitional protection? Or would they recalculate my benefits based on UC calculations and I be worse off?

Thanks for any help.
Page 1
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 9th Oct 17, 4:53 PM
    • 10,751 Posts
    • 12,633 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 9th Oct 17, 4:53 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 4:53 PM
    Please could someone help.

I work 20 hours a week (am single mum with little girl) and claim tax credits and housing benefit. I have been invited for second interview for another job 30 hours a week. I went on turn2us to work out what my entitled to tax credits and housing benefit would be. It said in my area any changes reported after 1 November 2017 will prompt that claim to be changed over to Universal Credit.

On using the calculation to work out what I would get through tax credits/housing benefit now I would be financially better off per month (I am earning more and claiming less). However I am scared if I get the job and am switched over to UC I will end up worse off (based on UC it is £200 per month less). Is there transitional protection or is that only if I stay in my current job and have no changes in circumstances? I don't want to take this new job and be worse off. If I did get this job I would be starting after 1 November - would the recalculation of my benefits be based on the calculation I have done where it is not a UC claim and I have transitional protection? Or would they recalculate my benefits based on UC calculations and I be worse off?

Thanks for any help.
    Originally posted by cazbah1980
    If you have to change to UC because of a change of circumstances then this is known as natural migration and there is no transitional protection for natural migration.

People who are claiming Universal Credit at the moment are people who have had a change which meant they had to make a new benefit claim. These people are called 'natural migrants'. Transitional Protection is not available to them. (Turn2us )

However, I am wondering whether you have put in the correct details for the UC calculation or have failed to take into account the extra money you would be receiving through the extra hours in your possible new job.

If you go to CAB they can do a better off calculation for you.
    • konark
    • By konark 11th Oct 17, 12:40 AM
    • 894 Posts
    • 695 Thanks
    konark
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:40 AM
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:40 AM
    But you're not making a new claim for a legacy benefit, you're simply modifying an existing claim. People are not 'migrated' to UC simply because their income goes up or down by a few quid.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,070Posts Today

6,736Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin