Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nahed
    • By Nahed 9th Oct 17, 2:14 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Nahed
    No claim bonus
    • 9th Oct 17, 2:14 PM
    No claim bonus 9th Oct 17 at 2:14 PM
    Hi all, I m in the process of renewing my car insurance and one of the provider told me that because I had a car accident ( the accident was not my fault and I didn't claim anything with my insurance) the premium is increasing and I cannot claim the NCB. I will be checking with other insurers but this seems very odd to me!
    Can they do that ?
    thank you
Page 1
    • Aretnap
    • By Aretnap 9th Oct 17, 2:24 PM
    • 2,843 Posts
    • 2,339 Thanks
    Aretnap
    • 9th Oct 17, 2:24 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 2:24 PM
    If the accident was recent then your insurer will likely treat it as an unsettled claim. After all the other driver may yet claim that it was your fault and attempt to make a claim against your insurance policy. This will result in your no claims bonus being reduced for a time, and you will have to declare the accident as unresolved while applying for new policies.

If the other driver hasn't made a claim after a reasonable time period (usually 6 months, unless there's good reason to expect it will take longer) your insurer should close the claim, record it as a no-fault incident, and restore your no claims bonus.

Obviously this is a bit of a pain if your renewal date comes while the claim is still open, but if/when the claim is closed and your NCD is restored you should get a refund of any additional premium you've paid. If you stay with the same insurer this should happen automatically. If you change insurer you should get them to confirm in advance that they'll give you a refund - and be prepared to do some of the legwork yourself by getting confirmation from your old insured when the claim is closed, as they won't automatically inform your new insurer when the time comes.
    • Nahed
    • By Nahed 9th Oct 17, 2:44 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Nahed
    • 9th Oct 17, 2:44 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 2:44 PM
    thank you Aretnap, The other driver activated his insurance and it was settled that he was at fault and I have also received a settlement for minor injury plus they repaired my car. this happened a couple of months back and as far as I know this is all closed. The insurer I talked to said that the NCD is affected even if this was a no-fault incident.
    what do you think?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,096Posts Today

6,055Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• Follow Martin