Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MrsSippi
    • By MrsSippi 9th Oct 17, 2:11 PM
    • 209Posts
    • 338Thanks
    MrsSippi
    Advice needed re: diet for 6 year old
    • 9th Oct 17, 2:11 PM
    Advice needed re: diet for 6 year old 9th Oct 17 at 2:11 PM
    I have a 6 yo daughter and I am slightly worried about her weight. Maybe worried is a bit strong but you get the idea....

She has always been on the slim side anyway but now she looks almost skinny. She was weighed and measured a couple of years ago as part of the Reception Heights and Weights programme and it came back that she was a healthy weight.

I would like to know what other people with kids (esp daughters) of the same age eat so I can gauge if she's eating enough. I really don't think she has any issues with food or anything and will quite often say she's hungry but she just doesn't seem to put much weight on. I don't really want to take her to the gp or anything as I don't think it's needed yet. She is always quite active.

Generally she will have a bowl of cereal/boiled eggs/toast for breakfast. I have tried to give her more but she says she's full up. She will often have a piece of fruit on the way to school then she has fruit mid morning as well as a hot lunch (which she says she eats most of - i dont think she's lying about this and I know the school contacts parents if your child is consistently undereating). She has a snack of a sandwich or similar on way home from school then a cup of milk/crackers/yoghurt when she gets in then a cooked meal when DH gets home.

Is this not enough? I would love some advice on this ......
Page 2
    • goodwithsaving
    • By goodwithsaving 10th Oct 17, 8:52 AM
    • 658 Posts
    • 999 Thanks
    goodwithsaving
    I was always skinny when I was younger, underweight and looked ill. I ate so much but also spent a lot of time running around outside. Then puberty hit and I've been heavy since then!
    Don't worry. If she isn't ill, she'll be okay. If she eats healthy foods, exercises and is happy, she's fine.
    Every time you borrow money, you’re robbing your future self. –Nathan W. Morris
    • thriftyemma
    • By thriftyemma 10th Oct 17, 9:25 AM
    • 316 Posts
    • 848 Thanks
    thriftyemma
    I second the poster who said to plot height and weight changes in your red baby book, or a copy from here https://www.rcpch.ac.uk/child-health/research-projects/uk-who-growth-charts/uk-growth-chart-resources-2-18-years/school-age.

Over a period of time, it can help you see any patterns, such as being consistently underweight, or growth spurts etc. I do this with all my children, once every 3 months.

It helped me identify that my youngest daughter was not gaining weight as she should. After various discussions with the GP, who took me seriously after showing her weight plotted on the chart, we discovered her tonsils were so enlarged they were practically blocking her throat. She was struggling to swallow anything lumpy, and it was putting her off eating. In the process, because they did a full ear nose and throat check, we also found she had 30-40% hearing loss due to glue ear. All resolved with some routine surgery. She's now excelling at school, because she can now hear properly, and gaining weight in line with the WHO charts.

I'm not saying my daughter's case is the same as yours, it sounds like your daughter is eating a varied and healthy diet, and plenty of it. But charting weight changes can be a very effective tool in identifying any problems.
    • MrsSippi
    • By MrsSippi 10th Oct 17, 10:11 AM
    • 209 Posts
    • 338 Thanks
    MrsSippi
    Thanks again for all the replies. I will dig out her red book and follow the centile charts for a bit to see how she goes with her weight gain.

I suppose, having put it in perspective, she isn't noticeably underweight, she has a healthy and varied diet, she runs around a lot which i guess explains why she doesn't put a lot of weight on even though she eats regularly. And most importantly she is fit and healthy in herself.
    • pearl123
    • By pearl123 10th Oct 17, 11:10 AM
    • 1,194 Posts
    • 1,819 Thanks
    pearl123
    A couple of pancakes sometimes will fill her up.
    • pollyanna24
    • By pollyanna24 10th Oct 17, 1:14 PM
    • 3,677 Posts
    • 4,371 Thanks
    pollyanna24
    I agree with what others have said.

My 6 year old weighs 3stone and I think she is a little bit skinny, but not enough to do anything about it.

Her sister who is 8 has, in the last year or so, "bulked" out, not quite sure how to explain it, but getting more shapely rather than tiny little child and so I have assumed her little sister will be doing the same soon.

Still, the 6 year old has a lovely flat stomach, wouldn't mind that, haha!
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    House Worth (approx) - £400,000
    Mortgages (2nd July 2017) - £183,377.40
    Equity - £216,522.60
    • LavenderBee
    • By LavenderBee 10th Oct 17, 1:34 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    LavenderBee
    I'm the same as some of the other posters here, I was an absolute bean pole at that age, in ways I only see now looking back as an adult. I was incredibly active and probably ate about half what your daughter gets now. I filled out fine as a teenager, became overweight in my early twenties and now work hard to stay lean. Sadly it catches up with most of us eventually!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,517Posts Today

9,363Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin