Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Royston19841984123
    • By Royston19841984123 9th Oct 17, 2:00 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Royston19841984123
    0 WOW
    Hand foot and mouth claim
    • 9th Oct 17, 2:00 PM
    0 WOW
    Hand foot and mouth claim 9th Oct 17 at 2:00 PM
    Hi.

After some advice. My 14 month old got hand foot and mouth after 2 days of our holiday with a TUI package. Ruined our holiday as he was so ill. I've heard of companies that claim no win no fee type thing. Has anyone else done This?
Page 1
    • k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 9th Oct 17, 2:03 PM
    • 1,866 Posts
    • 2,937 Thanks
    k3lvc
    • 9th Oct 17, 2:03 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 2:03 PM
    Hi.

After some advice. My 14 month old got hand foot and mouth after 2 days of our holiday with a TUI package. Ruined our holiday as he was so ill. I've heard of companies that claim no win no fee type thing. Has anyone else done This?
    Originally posted by Royston19841984123
    So given the symptoms normally develop after 3-5 days he caught it at home - who are you going to sue ?
    • Royston19841984123
    • By Royston19841984123 9th Oct 17, 2:11 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Royston19841984123
    • 9th Oct 17, 2:11 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 2:11 PM
    Thanks for the helpful reply, that's when the doctor in menorca suggested he contracted it. Also the systems start within 24 hours with fever and loss of appetite. The rash doesn't show till day 3 to 5..

Just going on what the doctor said to me though so he could be lying.
    • k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 9th Oct 17, 2:14 PM
    • 1,866 Posts
    • 2,937 Thanks
    k3lvc
    • 9th Oct 17, 2:14 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 2:14 PM
    Good luck then - hopefully one of the TV advertising vultures firms will be able to help you
    • littlereddevil
    • By littlereddevil 9th Oct 17, 2:31 PM
    • 4,664 Posts
    • 1,945 Thanks
    littlereddevil
    • 9th Oct 17, 2:31 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 2:31 PM
    Claim off who? The person he contracted it from?
    travelover
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 9th Oct 17, 2:48 PM
    • 1,446 Posts
    • 977 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    • 9th Oct 17, 2:48 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 2:48 PM
    Which hotel?

I always understood it and everything I've ever read is that the symptoms develop 3-7 days after infection, and that the first symptoms at that time can be a fever, loss of appetite or just generally feeling unwell. The mouth ulcers, rash and blisters follow. It's contagious a few days before the symptoms start so I'd have though it was caught before actually going on holiday.
    • Royston19841984123
    • By Royston19841984123 9th Oct 17, 3:09 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Royston19841984123
    • 9th Oct 17, 3:09 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 3:09 PM
    Regardless of timescales. He caught it here, the fact they put a small notice up in reception (before we got here) saying it was going round and to look out for symptoms. Shows they knew about it.

We are staying at the binimar in menorca, the claim would be against the TUI group for allowing us there knowing the disease was there! They have a duty of care for their holiday makers.

Anyway back to my original question... has anyone had any experience in claiming for a sickness that has ruled their holiday?
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 9th Oct 17, 3:15 PM
    • 2,703 Posts
    • 1,811 Thanks
    jpsartre
    • 9th Oct 17, 3:15 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 3:15 PM
    the claim would be against the TUI group for allowing us there knowing the disease was there!
    Well, you knew as well! Did you complain to TUI while you were there? Did you ask to be moved to a different hotel?
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 9th Oct 17, 3:18 PM
    • 18,627 Posts
    • 42,797 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 9th Oct 17, 3:18 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 3:18 PM
    Regardless of timescales. He caught it here, the fact they put a small notice up in reception (before we got here) saying it was going round and to look out for symptoms. Shows they knew about it.

We are staying at the binimar in menorca, the claim would be against the TUI group for allowing us there knowing the disease was there! They have a duty of care for their holiday makers.

Anyway back to my original question... has anyone had any experience in claiming for a sickness that has ruled their holiday?
    It's a normal childhood disease that your child was just as likely to catch at school/nursery as on holiday, it is no way a reflection of anything the hotel or TUI have or haven't done.

Do you expect an evacuation of a hotel for other childhood diseases, chicken pox, colds, coughs, flu too?

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/hand-foot-and-mouth-disease/Pages/Introduction.aspx#transmission
    Last edited by peachyprice; 09-10-2017 at 3:21 PM.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 9th Oct 17, 4:03 PM
    • 3,753 Posts
    • 2,766 Thanks
    sheramber
    http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1111.aspx

The incubation period (the time between catching the disease and showing symptoms) is three to five days. During this time, the virus can be passed on.
    Hand, foot and mouth disease is highly contagious and spreads through:
    coughs and sneezes
    contact with infected stools (faeces)
    contact with the fluid in the blisters

No doubt the germs were in the environment inside and outside the hotel. He could have caught it on the plane- where germs thrive in the enclosed air system, or in the transport to the hotel just as you can catch a cold- another virus.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 9th Oct 17, 4:13 PM
    • 1,446 Posts
    • 977 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    You're obviously determined that it came from there because it suits you to think so. There may have been cases there, but they came from somewhere. Quite possibly someone that brought it with them because there's quite a bit of it in the UK. There's very little a hotel can do when a very common childhood illness occurs. If people were more scrupulous with personal hygiene and made sure that they kept themselves to themselves and out of contact with others then it wouldn't spread.

Being ill or having a sick person in your family while on holiday is hardly uncommon. No its not nice, and yes its inconvenient but as long as that person recovers with no long lasting affects then that's the most important thing.

TUI or any other tour operator cannot move all their guests en masse just because a few children have a common childhood illness. They'd probably just be spreading the problem because of it being contagious before symptoms develop.

Presumably as soon as you read the notice you asked to move hotels.
    • k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 9th Oct 17, 6:23 PM
    • 1,866 Posts
    • 2,937 Thanks
    k3lvc
    Presumably as soon as you read the notice you asked to move hotels.
    Originally posted by leylandsunaddict
    Given the OP's responses it seems moving hotels ranked lower on the list than apportioning blame and the subsequent claim
    • meer53
    • By meer53 9th Oct 17, 8:12 PM
    • 8,877 Posts
    • 12,896 Thanks
    meer53
    It's a risk you take when you go on holiday with small children. Sickness, chickenpox, hand foot and mouth etc, they're all illnesses that most kids get at some stage, wherever they might be. To prevent it, don't ever go anywhere.
    • photome
    • By photome 10th Oct 17, 6:24 AM
    • 12,735 Posts
    • 8,212 Thanks
    photome
    It's a risk you take when you go on holiday with small children. Sickness, chickenpox, hand foot and mouth etc, they're all illnesses that most kids get at some stage, wherever they might be. To prevent it, don't ever go anywhere.
    Originally posted by meer53
    Wouldnt that be what a no win no fee ambulance chaser would say ? and even if they took the case the holiday companies are now fighting back
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 10th Oct 17, 1:42 PM
    • 3,753 Posts
    • 2,766 Thanks
    sheramber
    Originally posted by meer53

One year my son went down with mumps on the first day of our holidays
    • Royston19841984123
    • By Royston19841984123 10th Oct 17, 3:53 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Royston19841984123
    It's amazing the negativity and unhelpful-ness on these forums. I originally asked if anyone had ant experience of these NWNF claims. I never once said I will sue everyone and blame everyone, nor that people shouldn't get sick while on holiday.

As for the person who suggested my first priority was claiming over changing hotels, you need to look at your own priorities.. my first one was to pay for private medical care that isn't covered by the insurance I took out, as it meant him being seen an hour sooner!

And yes I asked to move hotels also, TUI have since been in touch saying that my child should have been placed in isolation to prevent spreading.. he wasn't, so they have admitted it was their fault and are coming back to me in means of compensation.

Honestly though, thanks for all your help, remind me of all this good will when you need a question answering!
    • Tammykitty
    • By Tammykitty 10th Oct 17, 3:58 PM
    • 527 Posts
    • 1,129 Thanks
    Tammykitty
    It's amazing the negativity and unhelpful-ness on these forums. I originally asked if anyone had ant experience of these NWNF claims. I never once said I will sue everyone and blame everyone, nor that people shouldn't get sick while on holiday.

As for the person who suggested my first priority was claiming over changing hotels, you need to look at your own priorities.. my first one was to pay for private medical care that isn't covered by the insurance I took out, as it meant him being seen an hour sooner!

And yes I asked to move hotels also, TUI have since been in touch saying that my child should have been placed in isolation to prevent spreading.. he wasn't, so they have admitted it was their fault and are coming back to me in means of compensation.

Honestly though, thanks for all your help, remind me of all this good will when you need a question answering!

That reads to me as if other people can claim as TUI didn't isolate your child and they caught it off him - however why can you claim?
    Weight Loss Challenge
    Start: 10th September 2016 - 49lbs to lose.
    Progress - 22/49 (3/12/16)

Restarted 8/05/17 - 41lbs to lose (Managed to put 1 stone on in 4 months!) Progress 6/41 (13/05/17)
    • 814man
    • By 814man 10th Oct 17, 4:42 PM
    • 330 Posts
    • 275 Thanks
    814man
    The answer to Royston's point questioning the helpfulness of users on here, or lack of it, I'd suggest is this. Those of us who frequently read and interact of this forum tend I suspect to be on the whole seasoned travelers who like to be able to offer a money saving tip to a fellow traveler or share an experience in the hope others find it useful. The majority of posters on here receive a genuine response to a well founded question with most forum members going out of their way to post helpful replies.
    However there does seem to be an increasing number of folks who sign up for accounts just to ask how they can sue, get compensation, or rant about generally minor examples of perceived poor service or experiences. I think this rather misses the point and the aims of the web forum and I have to say that at times these users can occasionally get responses they dont like.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 10th Oct 17, 4:56 PM
    • 1,446 Posts
    • 977 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict

Hopefully the doctor visited you in your room. The tour operator can't insist a child is isolated. Only a doctor can do that, and the private doctor you paid to see obviously didn't see it as being necessary. I could almost see why they would compensate the people who caught it from your child, both on the flight and in the hotel, but why would they compensate you for not having your child isolated?
    • littlereddevil
    • By littlereddevil 10th Oct 17, 5:05 PM
    • 4,664 Posts
    • 1,945 Thanks
    littlereddevil
    If they didn't want to pass it on they would have isolated their own child.
    Doesn't look like they did.
    I can't get over the greed of some people.
    Probably hoping for a million lol
    travelover
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,692Posts Today

8,906Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin