Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • superstarchar
    • By superstarchar 9th Oct 17, 1:06 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    superstarchar
    Porting NW Mortgage
    • 9th Oct 17, 1:06 PM
    Porting NW Mortgage 9th Oct 17 at 1:06 PM
    We have recently sold our house, were looking to borrow more and port our existing NW mortgage. The extra money is fine, the porting is confusing me.

I am going to visit branch at the weekend as tried calling and its useless. Bascially, we are buying a new build which wont be complete until May next year - going to move in with parents temporarily. NW say we have to port within 6 months - which wouldn't be enough time for completion - if we apply later this month, early next are there any extensions available etc? Im at a loss of what to do

Should I just accept the ERC and get a new mortgage deal?!
Page 1
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 9th Oct 17, 1:11 PM
    • 32,405 Posts
    • 17,398 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 9th Oct 17, 1:11 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 1:11 PM
    What does NW stand for NatWest or Nationwide?

This is a non-simultaneous sale and purchase, so you are reliant on the lender holding open your exiting product. You may find you need to delay completion of the sale of your current property until you are within six months of the completion of the new purchase.

Your existing mortgage is repaid from the sale proceeds of your property. You apply to the lender for a new mortgage and this is split into different sub-accounts to accommodate the old borrowing amount on the old product and the increased borrowing on a new rate. Typically, a new Nationwide mortgage offer only has a six month lifespan with only a two week extension available. NatWest's are sxi months with one month extra.

Not only do you need to be careful with the port/ERC situation, but also with a build over-run resulting in you having to reapply for your new mortgage on top.

I would get advice from an experienced newbuild broker on this, rather than try to manage it yourself.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,902Posts Today

8,612Users online

Martin's Twitter