Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fay_elizabeth
    • By Fay_elizabeth 9th Oct 17, 12:37 PM
    • 127Posts
    • 93Thanks
    Fay_elizabeth
    Overwhelming dead rat smell at work
    • 9th Oct 17, 12:37 PM
    Overwhelming dead rat smell at work 9th Oct 17 at 12:37 PM
    I work in a small therapy clinic, just me and two bosses. We have a reception room and then two therapy rooms on the lower ground floor level. A few weeks ago we heard rats in the walls so my boss put poison down, now we have a lingering smell of dead rat that is becoming stronger and stronger.

The worst of the smell is in the reception room, where I work for 8 hours a day (and eat lunch!) I am 27 weeks pregnant and today the smell is so bad its making me feel ill.

Should I be demanding they do more about this issue? Is there anything that can actually be done? No flies thankfully, just that strong old dead rat smell to contend with
Page 1
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 9th Oct 17, 12:44 PM
    • 3,800 Posts
    • 6,215 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 9th Oct 17, 12:44 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 12:44 PM
    It is possible to buy some deoderising bags from Rentokil. They are very cheap. They do have a strong smell of their own, but it's preferable! I had the same problem a few weeks ago, and short of putting up with it or knocking down the wall of my house, this was the only option. Fortunately, the smell will diminish in a few weeks.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 9th Oct 17, 12:47 PM
    • 3,800 Posts
    • 6,215 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 9th Oct 17, 12:47 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 12:47 PM
    Link for the sachets https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rentokil-FM24-Mouse-Odour-Sachets/dp/B00AQDJL42/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1507549588&sr=8-2&keywords=dead+rat+smell+remover
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 9th Oct 17, 1:12 PM
    • 1,241 Posts
    • 1,135 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    • 9th Oct 17, 1:12 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 1:12 PM
    Aww man i hate that rat smell, I used to have to deal with it during the summer heat when i used to work at a warehouse back in the day. Ill never forget that smell.
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 9th Oct 17, 2:42 PM
    • 6,262 Posts
    • 4,786 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 9th Oct 17, 2:42 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 2:42 PM
    What did the individual who poisoned the rats think they would do, feel a bit unwell and take themselves of to rat hospital or the rat undertaker would roll up?

Very poorly planned idea.
    Imagination is a mental faculty that serves as a coping mechanism for those who can't or won't accept reality - unicorns and dragons and wives who don't nag, are all figments of the "imagination".

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 9th Oct 17, 4:44 PM
    • 3,944 Posts
    • 4,279 Thanks
    robatwork
    • 9th Oct 17, 4:44 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 4:44 PM
    Not sure I believe this story.

In fact

I smell a rat.

(so sorry)
    • gardner1
    • By gardner1 9th Oct 17, 4:46 PM
    • 2,153 Posts
    • 3,039 Thanks
    gardner1
    • 9th Oct 17, 4:46 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 4:46 PM
    never mind poison you need big traps to kill em dead on the spot otherwise they will crawl away and die in some obscure place and the smell will linger for ages
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 9th Oct 17, 5:27 PM
    • 3,800 Posts
    • 6,215 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 9th Oct 17, 5:27 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 5:27 PM
    What did the individual who poisoned the rats think they would do, feel a bit unwell and take themselves of to rat hospital or the rat undertaker would roll up?

Very poorly planned idea.
    Originally posted by ohreally
    Ok. What would have been your plan? Pan pipes?
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 9th Oct 17, 5:32 PM
    • 1,961 Posts
    • 2,910 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • 9th Oct 17, 5:32 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 5:32 PM
    Originally posted by sangie595
    That would certainly drive me away so I don't see why it wouldn't work on rats.
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 9th Oct 17, 6:44 PM
    • 6,262 Posts
    • 4,786 Thanks
    ohreally
    Consult a pest controller or local authority environmental health, as I suspect anyone with half a brain would've done.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 9th Oct 17, 6:51 PM
    • 3,800 Posts
    • 6,215 Thanks
    sangie595
    Consult a pest controller or local authority environmental health, as I suspect anyone with half a brain would've done.
    Yep. And having a full brain that is exactly what I did several weeks ago. Guess what? They sold me poison! So again.... If one isn't going to poison the rodents, what exactly do you suggest gets rid of them? I tried reasoning with them. I tried peppermint oil. I tried a cat. Etc. Etc. Guess what? The rest of the alternatives are bunkum. Poison. That's the trick. You want no more rodents... You need to kill them. I was told that there been an explosion of treats and mice this summer - something about the weather made it ideal for them.
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 9th Oct 17, 8:17 PM
    • 2,866 Posts
    • 7,837 Thanks
    Callie22
    Many years ago something died under my grandmother's floorboards and the smell was horrific. We couldn't get to the source so we called a local pest controller who sprayed some kind of aerosol under the boards. I have no idea what it was but it certainly got rid of the smell. It might be worth giving a local company a call?
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 10th Oct 17, 6:08 AM
    • 6,262 Posts
    • 4,786 Thanks
    ohreally
    If one isn't going to poison the rodents, what exactly do you suggest gets rid of them?
    Get a cat.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 10th Oct 17, 9:22 AM
    • 3,800 Posts
    • 6,215 Thanks
    sangie595
    Get a cat.
    Yep, my dogs will like that option. For the 2.5 seconds that the cat lasts! But seriously, keeping a cat in therapy clinic? Not exactly practical, is it?
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 10th Oct 17, 10:34 AM
    • 6,262 Posts
    • 4,786 Thanks
    ohreally
    Yep, my dogs will like that option. For the 2.5 seconds that the cat lasts! But seriously, keeping a cat in therapy clinic? Not exactly practical, is it?
    My response was directed at your comment, not a clinical site.
    Imagination is a mental faculty that serves as a coping mechanism for those who can't or won't accept reality - unicorns and dragons and wives who don't nag, are all figments of the "imagination".

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 10th Oct 17, 10:46 AM
    • 3,800 Posts
    • 6,215 Thanks
    sangie595
    My response was directed at your comment, not a clinical site.
    And my comment was directed at your suggestion that anyone with half a brain would have gone to the exterminator - you commented that the extermination of the rats on a clinical site was poorly planned. I can't see how it was since you have so far not come up with a single better alternative than poisoning them.
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 10th Oct 17, 12:27 PM
    • 6,262 Posts
    • 4,786 Thanks
    ohreally
    I can't see how it was since you have so far not come up with a single better alternative than poisoning them.
    Post #10 provides alternatives, get professionals in and carcass recovery is their issue.
    In the case of a clinical setting I suspect they would consider alternatives like acoustic repellents.

If my dog was unable to control a domestic rat it would be redundant by now.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 10th Oct 17, 12:39 PM
    • 3,800 Posts
    • 6,215 Thanks
    sangie595
    Post #10 provides alternatives, get professionals in and carcass recovery is their issue.
    In the case of a clinical setting I suspect they would consider alternatives like acoustic repellents.

If my dog was unable to control a domestic rat it would be redundant by now.
    I think you are missing the point. The "professionals" told me to put down rat poison. And recovering a rat carcass from behind a wall involves knocking down a wall! Yes, they could try acoustic repellents - but they have varied outcomes and are not very effective in many circumstances. That's what the professionals told me. Maybe they don't know what they are talking about? As for the dogs, (a) they are not ratters, and breed matters, and (b) smart as my dogs are, they haven't yet figured out a way to get into the walls.

The simple fact is that once there is an infestation, the use of poison is the fastest and most effective form of eradication, and unfortunately that does leave a possibility of a temporary smell, maloderous though it is, and there are products designed to combat this, as I pointed out.
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 10th Oct 17, 12:48 PM
    • 1,269 Posts
    • 1,287 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    Its not pleasant for you but if its that bad the clinic surely faces losing business too?
    How are the rats getting in? That needs to be investigated or more will show up. I have no idea but hopefully rats being quite small will decompose quickly and the smell will go?! Put vapour rub under your nose....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

139Posts Today

1,470Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin