Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pb1976x
    • By pb1976x 9th Oct 17, 12:26 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    pb1976x
    Advise - £9000 old pension pot
    • 9th Oct 17, 12:26 PM
    Advise - £9000 old pension pot 9th Oct 17 at 12:26 PM
    Hello.

I'm in need of some advice. An old company pension has £9000 odd in it. I want to move it to a s SIPP that I can invest myself. I have a new company pension which is sat where it is but this old one I am free to play about with so to speak. Ive seen a thread or two on here recently with people taking control of their own pots, large and small, and making significant returns versus your standard funds that are available. Even looking at some of the more volatile/riskier funds, the returns are paltry. Can anyone give me some advise as I can really speculate with this pot of money I am 40 by the way so many years from retirement yet. Im looking for some advise on what other people on here are doing or have done with smaller pots where the owner is willing to take sizable risk. Thanks.
Page 1
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 9th Oct 17, 12:40 PM
    • 4,692 Posts
    • 28,410 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • 9th Oct 17, 12:40 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 12:40 PM
    If you want proper advice, an internet forum is not the place where you will find it.

If I was you, I would put it on the £15 at Doncaster and ....
    I soled my last sock
    For a whiff of your cheap perfume filled with hope of tears gone by
    • jeepjunkie
    • By jeepjunkie 9th Oct 17, 12:56 PM
    • 1,385 Posts
    • 1,324 Thanks
    jeepjunkie
    • 9th Oct 17, 12:56 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 12:56 PM
    Hello.

I'm in need of some advice. An old company pension has £9000 odd in it. I want to move it to a s SIPP that I can invest myself. I have a new company pension which is sat where it is but this old one I am free to play about with so to speak. Ive seen a thread or two on here recently with people taking control of their own pots, large and small, and making significant returns versus your standard funds that are available. Even looking at some of the more volatile/riskier funds, the returns are paltry. Can anyone give me some advise as I can really speculate with this pot of money I am 40 by the way so many years from retirement yet. Im looking for some advise on what other people on here are doing or have done with smaller pots where the owner is willing to take sizable risk. Thanks.
    Originally posted by pb1976x

Fees/charges to the side, does this pot have any valuable benefits?

What are you expecting from the £9k, just a gamble?

Or are you going to consolidate this into your existing retirement plans which you are actively contributing to?

My wife had an old £11k pot, two years ago moved it to a SIPP, sensible fund chosen, some stoozing profits/small conts etc added now £25k and growing...

Cheers
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 9th Oct 17, 1:26 PM
    • 89,941 Posts
    • 56,643 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 9th Oct 17, 1:26 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 1:26 PM
    Ive seen a thread or two on here recently with people taking control of their own pots, large and small, and making significant returns versus your standard funds that are available.
    What about all those that have gone on to make rubbish decisions and lost the lot at one extreme or done worse than conventional investments?

What knowledge and experience do you have regarding investments that makes you think that using unconventional options will give you a better return?
    Even looking at some of the more volatile/riskier funds, the returns are paltry.
    Which either suggests a lack of knowledge on your part or an unrealistic level of expectation. Can you give a couple of examples so we can see which it is?

Im looking for some advise on what other people on here are doing or have done with smaller pots where the owner is willing to take sizable risk. T
    Does it matter what other people are doing? What if someone answers who is being scammed? What if someone answers saying what they do is low risk but it is actually high risk (or vice versa)? What if someone answers who is making a right pigs ear of it?

I can tell you 100% that what I do would be unsuitable for you. So, knowing what I do would not help you. How about doing what is right for you?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • atush
    • By atush 9th Oct 17, 1:42 PM
    • 16,388 Posts
    • 10,142 Thanks
    atush
    • 9th Oct 17, 1:42 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 1:42 PM
    Move it to your company pension
    • pb1976x
    • By pb1976x 9th Oct 17, 2:05 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pb1976x
    • 9th Oct 17, 2:05 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 2:05 PM
    I senses replies of this ilk. My original post says it all. There's a pot of money, I don't need to shift it to my current pension pot. I can speculate with it. Imp a sales manager by profession. My request was simple. I'm not holding anyone to their advice, I'm simply asking if there are any people on the forum that have pursued their own means of increasing a relatively small pot and been successful, that was all. Its a simple enough question. Aside from all the SIPP offerings out there with pre selected fund after fund, does anyone have any advice on how I can speculate in the markets (via a SIPP) to stand any chance of achieving better than single figure % returns (or worse)!
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 9th Oct 17, 2:07 PM
    • 89,941 Posts
    • 56,643 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 9th Oct 17, 2:07 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 2:07 PM
    Sounds like you are being unrealistic in expectation. There are plenty of scammers that will be willing to take your money with that level of expectation.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 9th Oct 17, 4:36 PM
    • 10,803 Posts
    • 7,100 Thanks
    bigadaj
    • 9th Oct 17, 4:36 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 4:36 PM
    I senses replies of this ilk. My original post says it all. There's a pot of money, I don't need to shift it to my current pension pot. I can speculate with it. Imp a sales manager by profession. My request was simple. I'm not holding anyone to their advice, I'm simply asking if there are any people on the forum that have pursued their own means of increasing a relatively small pot and been successful, that was all. Its a simple enough question. Aside from all the SIPP offerings out there with pre selected fund after fund, does anyone have any advice on how I can speculate in the markets (via a SIPP) to stand any chance of achieving better than single figure % returns (or worse)!
    You really need to learn a little more about investing if you are going to speculate with this money, sounds like you do want to put it on the ponies.

There are tens of thousands of investment options out there, and thousands even for fairly basic pension options. So open a sipp with someone, HL might be good for you as they have an easy interface, they aren't cheap but that isn't your mojo.

Then you can buy many shares and a range of funds, put it all into the Azerbaijani stock market futures, a single small oil or mining company, you'll probably lose the lot but you could make a million.
    • TARDIS
    • By TARDIS 9th Oct 17, 6:46 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    TARDIS
    • 9th Oct 17, 6:46 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 6:46 PM
    I think some peer to peer lending sites offer pensions now and some advertise double figure returns which appears to be what you are looking for. It might be worth searching the forum and reading some of jamesd's posts on the subject.

I am in no way "advising" you to go down this route and haven't myself as it's too risky for my liking. Probably better than the horses, but still a chance you could loose the lot, which is generally going to be the case if you insist on chasing high returns.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 9th Oct 17, 7:17 PM
    • 7,677 Posts
    • 8,291 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    I senses replies of this ilk. My original post says it all. There's a pot of money, I don't need to shift it to my current pension pot. I can speculate with it. Imp a sales manager by profession. My request was simple. I'm not holding anyone to their advice, I'm simply asking if there are any people on the forum that have pursued their own means of increasing a relatively small pot and been successful, that was all.
    Yes, many have. Of course, many have also lost out, and the difference can easily be luck. I'd say half of my success is luck (and half my failures luck) but if you deal enough luck comes into it (or black swans maybe).

Aside from all the SIPP offerings out there with pre selected fund after fund, does anyone have any advice on how I can speculate in the markets (via a SIPP) to stand any chance of achieving better than single figure % returns (or worse)!
    No, because that would require a time machine. Those that made double digit returns for 20 years or so were either lucky, or well informed for what they did at that point in the past. There's nothing to say they will be so lucky or well informed for the next 20 years, different times, different companies etc. You could have made a lot of money investing in Amazon, Tesla, Apple over the past 20 years. But they wont be the multi-baggers they were again in teh same way, mathematically impossible..

What you are asking for is, whats the secret of continually making double digit returns on the market. The only person who went anyway near claiming that is a certain Mr Madhoff and even he stuck to the high single digits.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 10th Oct 17, 12:14 PM
    • 4,692 Posts
    • 28,410 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Here's a reflection on my SIPP for the last 6 months!
    One pot has grown at 5% faster that its other pot, and there is now a difference of 8% between their values, compared to being levelled in March 2016!

One pot has grown 10% in the last three months, yet two other have been static.

Overall and in balance it has grown by 30% this year, but this includes my contribution!

In the end, it is about 8 years before I clean them out!
    I soled my last sock
    For a whiff of your cheap perfume filled with hope of tears gone by
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,956Posts Today

7,135Users online

Martin's Twitter