Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 9th Oct 17, 11:23 AM
    • 2,070Posts
    • 8,527Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Getting my dog neutered
    • 9th Oct 17, 11:23 AM
    Getting my dog neutered 9th Oct 17 at 11:23 AM
    My dog (collie cross kelpie) is now 14 months old and although he has been trying it on with the ladies (and anything else) for about 6 months, it is becoming more regular and persistant to the point of aggression on either the other dogs part (both sexes) or from him if he doesn't get his own way. Mostly because of this I have decided that it is time for the 'snip' even though I was initially advised by a breeder and seperately by a dog trainer to leave him until he was at least 18 months old.

I am also hoping that he will calm down a bit and not try to be dominant all the time, the way he does at the moment, I'm also hoping that he won't pull as much on the lead, bark at lorries and cyclists and possibly even learn some recall so that I might be able to let him off the lead when out at the park.

I know all dogs and their owners are different but has anyone got any pointers as to what to expect after getting a 14 month old male collie neutered?
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Walk 2000 3000 miles in 2017 - 2701.5
    This week 69.7
Page 2
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 12th Oct 17, 8:11 AM
    • 2,070 Posts
    • 8,527 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Thanks all

Lots of advice about training but not so much on the neutering but all helpfull anyway

This week 69.7
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 12th Oct 17, 8:57 AM
    • 672 Posts
    • 680 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    Our Beardied Collie's character didn't change one bit after neutering.

Notice I say character and not behaviour as he was trained well from the start.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 12th Oct 17, 8:59 AM
    • 15,170 Posts
    • 38,025 Thanks
    elsien
    Neutering made no difference to Gitdog in terms of calming him down. He still tries to hump other dogs if he can get away with it - he'll be playing happily then will suddenly start to get on in there.
    I initially hoped that it would improve his interactions with other dogs - he got growled at a lot and I thought maybe that was testosterone related. I've since realised it's just because he is too in their faces and has no doggy manners so they're trying to tell him to back off. I suppose if your vet thinks there's a hormonal element it might reduce that, it could help, but it might not solve it completely.
    Neutering has helped with a couple of dogs I know who previously had a tendency to escape and wander off for hours on end. But that's about it.
    Last edited by elsien; 12-10-2017 at 9:04 AM.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 12th Oct 17, 4:21 PM
    • 3,760 Posts
    • 2,771 Thanks
    sheramber
    The advice on neutering is there are advantages and disadvantages healthwise to neutering but it will not change your dogs behaviour. That is all down to training and interaction with you.

You need to be more interesting than what else is available. Do you play and interact with your dog on a walk to keep him interested in you or do you walk along ignoring him and letting him find his own amusement?

Have a look at Kikopup on youtube for ideas for training https://www.youtube.com/user/kikopup/videos

But a good training class will pay back dividends as your dog learns to pay attention to you despite other dogs being around.

A Google search for 'pros and cons of neutering a dog' will bring up lots of hits with varying information.

here is the Kennel Club article https://pethelpful.com/dogs/Should-Male-Dogs-be-Neutered-To-Neuter-or-not-to-Neuter-Some-Considerations-About-this-Debate

Ultimately, it is an individual decision. Nobody can tell you what is best for your dog .

Do your research
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 13th Oct 17, 8:45 PM
    • 2,070 Posts
    • 8,527 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    I really wish that I had worded my OP better, I might have got more answers to the question of how my dog might change if/when I get him neutered

This week 69.7
    • elsien
    • By elsien 14th Oct 17, 10:54 AM
    • 15,170 Posts
    • 38,025 Thanks
    elsien
    http://www.apbc.org.uk/articles/neuteringmaledogs

Link embedded in this page.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 14th Oct 17, 3:58 PM
    • 3,760 Posts
    • 2,771 Thanks
    sheramber
    I really wish that I had worded my OP better, I might have got more answers to the question of how my dog might change if/when I get him neutered
    Originally posted by Wizard of Id
    The operative word is MIGHT.

Nobody can tell you how your dog will change.

Some become lazy.

Some put on weight easily.

Some , if inclined to be nervous, will be worse afterwords as the testosterone that was giving him limited courage is now reduced. These dogs can start to display nervous aggression.

Some will stop mounting and marking.

BUT some will not change in any way.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

213Posts Today

1,548Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin