Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wernertruter
    • By wernertruter 9th Oct 17, 11:19 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    wernertruter
    No Home Insurance - 3rd Party Damage
    • 9th Oct 17, 11:19 AM
    No Home Insurance - 3rd Party Damage 9th Oct 17 at 11:19 AM
    Good Morning,

Looking for some advice.

Woke up yesterday morning and found my front garden fence completely bent out of shape. A car hit it in the early hours, bending several of the metal posts as well as the metal railing.

I reported the incident to the police and have my incident reference number. I have also located the car that caused the damage as well as the driver.
    They admitted liability and gave me their car insurance details.

So calling my home insurer this morning only to be informed my policy was no longer active. Seems the renewal letter never made it to me and without me contacting them to ask to be renewed, the policy got cancelled.
    This means the damage happened at a time where I had no home insurance.

My (ex)insurer have also confirmed that they will not be able to proceed with the claim if I was to take a new policy out with them now as the damage occurred prior to a policy being in place.

My question now is, can I do anything to still claim for the damage from the drivers insurer?
    Should I go directly to the drivers insurer?
Page 1
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 9th Oct 17, 12:02 PM
    • 845 Posts
    • 353 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    • 9th Oct 17, 12:02 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 12:02 PM
    You don't seem to have another option but to, do you?
    • Blibble
    • By Blibble 9th Oct 17, 6:53 PM
    • 211 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    Blibble
    • 9th Oct 17, 6:53 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 6:53 PM
    Was any other buildings insurance active at the point of incident?

If not, approach the TP insurer directly.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 9th Oct 17, 8:53 PM
    • 4,684 Posts
    • 5,052 Thanks
    societys child
    • 9th Oct 17, 8:53 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 8:53 PM
    Just claim from the drivers insurance company, it doesn't matter that you have no home insurance.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,796Posts Today

7,708Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin