Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • UKParliament
      Verified User verified user
    • By UKParliament Verified User verified user 9th Oct 17, 10:52 AM
    • 686Posts
    • 535Thanks
    UKParliament
    Uber, Hermes and Deliveroo questioned on employment practices
    • 9th Oct 17, 10:52 AM
    Uber, Hermes and Deliveroo questioned on employment practices 9th Oct 17 at 10:52 AM

On Tuesday 10 October at 10.45am, the Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy Committee will question representatives from Uber, Hermes and Deliveroo about their current employment practices and the potential impact of the Taylor Review and whether more can be done to provide high quality work and improve access to employment rights and benefits.

Witnesses
    Andrew Byrne, Head of Public Policy, Uber
    Hugo Martin, Director of Legal Affairs, Hermes
    Dan Warne, Managing Director UK and Ireland, Deliveroo

Watch the session live or catch-up later on Parliament TV.
    Official Organisation Representative
    I’m the official organisation rep for the House of Commons. I do not work for or represent the government. I am politically impartial and cannot comment on government policy. Find out more in DOT's Mission Statement.

MSE has given permission for me to post letting you know about relevant and useful info. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. If you believe I've broken the Forum Rules please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. This does NOT imply any form of approval of my organisation by MSE
Page 1
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 9th Oct 17, 12:09 PM
    • 3,808 Posts
    • 6,229 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 9th Oct 17, 12:09 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 12:09 PM
    Of course more can be done - Parliament can act to prevent the abuse of zero hours contracts and worker status. Asking bad employers nicely to be better employers has never worked. This is simply an excuse for the government to say that they are doing something about these sorts of abuses - which exist in many other employment sectors too- when in fact they wish to do nothing about them.

But if they are struggling to come up with a plan, here's a hint... Get rid of worker status altogether and make everyone who works for an employer an employee with full access to employment rights. Reduce the time for unfair dismissal claims back to six months - that's enough time to allow an employer to a assess whether someone is good enough, and still enabled them to dismiss if they have a fair reason to do so. Strengthen the laws around the definition of self employed contractors so that where people genuinely want to enter into such a relationship, they are able to do so without duress from employers seeking to avoid their legal responsibilities.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,843Posts Today

6,868Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin