Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cdbhel
    • By cdbhel 9th Oct 17, 10:39 AM
    • 11Posts
    • 0Thanks
    cdbhel
    Recording AVCs on Self Asssessment
    • 9th Oct 17, 10:39 AM
    Recording AVCs on Self Asssessment 9th Oct 17 at 10:39 AM
    Hi there, just looking for a bit of advice. Each year I do self assessments for myself and my husband. They are usually pretty straight forward but this year we have both started paying into AVC pension pots through our employers. I am a basic rate tax payer so I assume I won't benefit from any extra tax relief. This may not be the case for my husband though. However, I am completely unsure where I should record the amounts contributed on the self assessment form. Can anybody advise please? I am always so worried about getting something wrong so just want to be certain. Options seem to be as below (copied and pasted). Very grateful for any help. Thank you.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Payments to registered pension schemes (Also known as PPR) where basic rate tax relief will be claimed by your pension provider (called Relief at source). Enter the payments and basic rate tax:£

Payments to a retirement annuity contract (Also known as RAR) where basic rate tax relief will not be claimed by your provider:£

Payments to your employer's scheme which were not deducted from your pay before tax:£
Page 1
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 9th Oct 17, 10:52 AM
    • 89,880 Posts
    • 56,553 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 9th Oct 17, 10:52 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 10:52 AM
    Do you make the pension contributions from net pay or gross pay?

Some workplace schemes do it via salary sacrifice. In those cases, the tax relief is handled automatically.

Are these actual AVC plans or additional contributions into the existing scheme?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • cdbhel
    • By cdbhel 9th Oct 17, 10:58 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    cdbhel
    • 9th Oct 17, 10:58 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 10:58 AM
    Mine are made directly into my existing work pension and I see that I pay less tax on my income each month than actually goes into the account. My husband paid his bonus into a new separate new AVC account which was paid in before any tax was paid on it. He now contributes 3% of his salary into the same AVC account each month in the same way. This is administered separately from his DB scheme.
    Thanks for your help.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 9th Oct 17, 2:01 PM
    • 23,640 Posts
    • 13,772 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 9th Oct 17, 2:01 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 2:01 PM
    http://www.scottishwidows.co.uk/extranet/literature/doc/fp0491

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5273071
    • cdbhel
    • By cdbhel 10th Oct 17, 9:12 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    cdbhel
    • 10th Oct 17, 9:12 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 9:12 AM
    Thank you for the links which confirm that I need to be doing something. I just am unsure where to write the amount on the Self Assessment though. On the pension bit there are a couple of options of where to put an amount and I am just not sure where the put it. I know this seems a really simple thing for those who do this kind of thing all the time but I am worried about getting it wrong. The areas on the SA which could be used are as follows. Anyone know for sure where to write the amount in please?

Payments to registered pension schemes (Also known as PPR) where basic rate tax relief will be claimed by your pension provider (called Relief at source). Enter the payments and basic rate tax:£

Payments to a retirement annuity contract (Also known as RAR) where basic rate tax relief will not be claimed by your provider:£

Payments to your employer's scheme which were not deducted from your pay before tax:£

Quick Reply Thanks 0 Edit PostQuoteMulti-quote
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 10th Oct 17, 3:22 PM
    • 23,640 Posts
    • 13,772 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 10th Oct 17, 3:22 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 3:22 PM
    Your husband only claims higher rate tax relief through self assessment if the AVC contribution was made on a "Relief at Source" basis.

That is to say if the payment was made from income that had already had tax deducted.

See TRG 7 https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/505159/sa150-notes_2016.pdf

If not sure he should check with the provider.

Here is an example of an AVC where the contributor would not need to claim higher rate relief.

https://www.pru.co.uk/rz/teachers/england-wales/avcs/tax-efficient-contributions/

Contributions come from your pay before being taxed, so the money you would normally pay as tax goes straight into your Teachers’ AVC instead.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,982Posts Today

7,676Users online

Martin's Twitter