Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rdodds88
    • By rdodds88 9th Oct 17, 10:26 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    rdodds88
    Direct Debit changes - PSA Finance
    • 9th Oct 17, 10:26 AM
    Direct Debit changes - PSA Finance 9th Oct 17 at 10:26 AM
    Hi there,

Looking for some advice please.

I recently signed up for a contract hire vehicle. The car was delivered on 23rd August and payment was taken on 25th August - £170

The next payment was taken out on 25th September. - £170 All looking good....

They then took another payment out on 2nd October. I called to tell them this and they claimed a change was made with the direct debit which caused this. They have told me they have refunded the £170 but it will take 2/3 working days

5 days later I rang to ask where the money was and was told it now takes 7-10 days. Furthermore, I was informed the next payment will be taken on 11th October!!! And this is now the new direct debit date.

So within my salary month (20th Sept to 19th Oct) I will be charged £510 instead of £170. Is this legal???? When I tried to explain to the person on the phone how this isn't logical or affordable it was like talking to a brick wall. Waiting for her manager to call me back.

Regardless of the incorrect payment on 3rd, as these companies allowed to change direct debit date so 2 payments are taken within 30 days?

Hope this makes sense to someone and sorry for long email. I am fuming!
Page 1
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 9th Oct 17, 10:43 AM
    • 5,906 Posts
    • 5,871 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 9th Oct 17, 10:43 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 10:43 AM
    Companies taking payments by direct debit need to abide by the Direct Debit Guarantee, which offers protection against changes to amounts or dates not being notified adequately.

If the contract hire company isn't playing ball, invoke the guarantee with your bank to get an immediate refund on erroneous payments while everything gets sorted out, but ultimately you need to clarify the payment schedule with the contract hire company, with particular reference to the Ts & Cs of the contract you'll have signed....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

495Posts Today

3,675Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin