Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • yoshiyella
    • By yoshiyella 9th Oct 17, 10:05 AM
    • 461Posts
    • 135Thanks
    yoshiyella
    Barclaycard opening query
    • 9th Oct 17, 10:05 AM
    Barclaycard opening query 9th Oct 17 at 10:05 AM
    Dear All,

6 weeks or so ago I received a mailing shot from Barclaycard (I have recently opened an account with Barclays) asking me to apply. Instead of filling in the form I went to their weblink mentioned on the letter. Unfortunately I was declined.

Today I have received another letter (this time in a brown envelope) asking me to apply.

Is it worth applying?

Thanks, Simon
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 9th Oct 17, 10:08 AM
    • 13,683 Posts
    • 14,148 Thanks
    zx81
    • 9th Oct 17, 10:08 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 10:08 AM
    Probably not.
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 9th Oct 17, 11:40 AM
    • 4,146 Posts
    • 1,513 Thanks
    bengalknights
    • 9th Oct 17, 11:40 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 11:40 AM
    I would suggest not as well
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 9th Oct 17, 12:38 PM
    • 966 Posts
    • 685 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    • 9th Oct 17, 12:38 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 12:38 PM
    Ah yes, the brown envelope trick. Makes it look official until you open it up, then the usual junk. My wife gets one of these every month.
    I’m surprised that you were declined, a lot of information is pre-filled on the ones she gets.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 10th Oct 17, 2:10 AM
    • 2,045 Posts
    • 895 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 10th Oct 17, 2:10 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 2:10 AM
    I have been getting these regularly ever since I used their eligibility checker a couple of years ago. I thought that when you used an eligibility checker your details were not retained but it appears that they are and then used to send these invitations every few weeks.
    These invitations mean NOTHING. Your chance of getting the card are no more or no less than getting any other card that you may choose to apply for.
    • Don80
    • By Don80 10th Oct 17, 10:31 AM
    • 186 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    Don80
    • 10th Oct 17, 10:31 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 10:31 AM
    If you are not interested, you could just pop the envelopes back in the post with a note written on the front, "return to sender, remove from mailing list". If you do need a card, use the MSE eligibility checker and see what you can get.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,796Posts Today

7,708Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin